DJM N gauge Crowdfunded King Class Steam Loco has started

DJM Dave

Is there a cut-off date for orders? Or is it a case of when a certain number of models have been ordered?

The following is an extract from the e-mail Dave sent to those who previously expressed interest in the King:

So far i have paid the cad/cam for the models, and your deposit will help cover my outlay on the cad/cams, as well as the tooling 50% invoice i have had from China.

The model is ready to go, the tooling is booked in, all that's needed is your input as as much as i'd like to, i cannot hold the tooling slot if payments are not forthcoming. Please note that right up until we reach the tooling target, you can order as many models as you with if you want to 'invest' in the model market, as these models will not be repeated in these liveries and names/numbers and i do not envisage doing a second 'normal' run of models for at least 12 months from the release of these.

So the more that are ordered and paid deposit on, and the sooner that is done, the better. Would hate to see the tooling slot missed out only by a few units.

DJM Dave: Any idea on how close we are?

HI 

do you have a rough release date?  thanks 

Colin

Hi Colin,

It depends on how quickly the 'expressions' made turn to hard cash orders.. Any project like this will have a few drop outs, but conversely as the cad/cam designs etc get more publicity, the project gets more orders, effectively balancing out the 'defecit'.

So i'm afraid, although i am ready to go right this second,with tooling, it cannot go ahead until enough to pay for the tooling is incoming, and timewise, that's a case of 'how long is a piece of string'.

cheers

Dave

Peronally I think a clear deadline helps to persuade waverers and to build momentum and is fairer to those who put up deposits early. If by deadline day you are close to the numbers required then nobody is going to mind a brief extension. If not then it's probably better to can the project, refund and move on. 

Peronally I think a clear deadline helps to persuade waverers and to build momentum and is fairer to those who put up deposits early. If by deadline day you are close to the numbers required then nobody is going to mind a brief extension. If not then it's probably better to can the project, refund and move on. 

I can see both sides here, that of D.J. and also that of us the customer. It could be said that without some indication of "when" it's a bit like the notice I remember seeing in pubs in the 1970s...Free beer tomorrow. When asked the landlord of course replied...tomorrow. I tend to think that said publicity push accompanied by some indication of a proposed/provisional cut-off date for orders would spur on a few waverers/unaware of project to order. It could also appease those that have placed a firm order with their deposit/s. Of course some who have ordered may well be happy to wait for how ever long it takes. That said D.J. is the businessman here and will know the score, so we may have to just sit tight. 

N gauge King project reaches another milestone.

With the design of the N gauge King almost complete internally, i have spent the last 10 days working on the balance above the drivers and distribution areas of weight in the boiler etc to keep the balance but increase the weight.

Simply put weight is one thing, but evenly distributed weight is another and should be looked at at being optimal above the main driving wheels. too much weight either side of the driving wheels further out from the 3 axles can cause running problems due to possible induced rocking for and aft motions.

I have asked that, if possible, a cast metal backhead be produced along with a boiler weight of similar mass to help increase the Kings haulage capacity and this is currently being done in China.

This should, allied to the traction tyres got those that want to use them fitted should help a lot with maximum haulage ability. (remember the traction tyres are not mandatory and normal driving wheels are in the loco box for those that do not want them.

Room is now available for the small speaker in the tender along with the PCB, and there is some weight in the tender to allow it to track correctly and also not get pulled off the rails by any lateral forces and / or coach resistance on curves.

If you have yet to order, please dont delay, we are close to tooling, but enough of those that 'expressed an interest' have still not paid, that the project is slowing slightly, and will be longer to get to the tooling stage if this happens for a while.

New customers to this model can order right up until tooling time, via the 'pre-orders' tab at the top of the DJModels Web site, and pay securely via E-commerce. Once we have crossed the line for tooling, all ordering will then be locked down and you will miss out on this model in these liveries and at the offer price.

This will be the worlds first 100% successful crowdfunded RTR mass produced N gauge locomotive, please help make history happen now, rather than later.
  • Like 4

I am pleased to announce that the N gauge King locomotive cad/cam has now been fully approved for tooling, and i have today paid the cad/cam design balance on this project and in full on the forthcoming OO gauge APT project.

If you have yet to re-order the APT (and there are many) or would like to order an N gauge King, please don't delay as the soon as these projects have the funding they will go to tooling. I have a slot in the factory ready for the King, but still need some of the 'expressions of interests' to come forward to pay their deposits.

Meanwhile i hope to have 3D prints of the King in the next few weeks and the APT around the end of October which will be photographed and taken for display at upcoming exhibitions.

thanks

Dave

• Like 5

I am pleased to announce that the N gauge King locomotive cad/cam has now been fully approved for tooling, and i have today paid the cad/cam design balance on this project and in full on the forthcoming OO gauge APT project.

If you have yet to re-order the APT (and there are many) or would like to order an N gauge King, please don't delay as the soon as these projects have the funding they will go to tooling. I have a slot in the factory ready for the King, but still need some of the 'expressions of interests' to come forward to pay their deposits.

Meanwhile i hope to have 3D prints of the King in the next few weeks and the APT around the end of October which will be photographed and taken for display at upcoming exhibitions.

thanks
Dave

Dave,

I'm certain there will be many others who like myself are really pleased to read about the approved tooling. Thanks you for the update, and as they say on Call the Midwife...all we need is one last push. As Dave has said If you are dithering it's time to get your order and deposit/s in.

Ill keep pushing this end, and i have mailed all who expressed an interest.

I dont think there are any 'game players' on the list, as i think the request for 'conversion' from expressions to deposits has come at the wrong time for many.

Holidays, kids at home, payday etc......can all limit our spending should something you want come along unexpectedly.

It wont happen overnight, but i think providing the magazines publish the press releases (and some may not and have not for whatever reason) then , to use a train word, 'traction' to get this project over the line (sorry) should come.

cheers

Dave

Sorry Dave I may have missed this but radius are you expecting the front bogie without the coupling to run through? Sorry for the blonde question, c'mon ladies and gents let's get this project closer to the finishing line :)

All the best

Matt

Hi Matt,

At present the same as the Farish Castle if that helps?

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Many thanks Dave so fourth radius should be fine?

Matt

oh i'd have said so, the bogie swing has been catered for with cut away cylinders. and buffer lock shouldnt be an issue either.

However if your after a 'running upside down round 1st radius curves and set track points using an original H&M controller and electronic track cleaner at a scale 250mph' loco then i am afrain i'm going to dissapoint you. ;-)

cheers

Dave

[quote name="DJM Dave" post="3296568" timestamp="1536675110"

However if your after a 'running upside down round 1st radius curves and set track points using an original H&M controller and electronic track cleaner at a scale 250mph' loco then i am afrain i'm going to dissapoint you. ;-)

cheers

Dave

Oh no! Can I cancel my order? :)

Edited by Chris M

Rather surprisingly the new Farish castle will negotiate even the inner circle on the setrack curved point flat out without any worries. I would trade this for the ability to pull eight coaches up a 1 in 50.

And are you saying this king won't be as fast as the Dapol 45xx?

Shame.

Rather surprisingly the new Farish castle will negotiate even the inner circle on the setrack curved point flat out without any worries. I would trade this for the ability to pull eight coaches up a 1 in 50.

And are you saying this king won't be as fast as the Dapol 45xx?

Shame.

That's the lowest speed setting isn't it, fraction of a turn on a Gaugemaster.

The only issue I had with those was the tendency to not like 2nd radius set track curves that I intentionally laid to give a good even bend on my layout when the rest was Code 55, mind you my b/g Mk1 sleepers were similarly problematic on 2nd radius curves.