DJM N gauge Crowdfunded King Class Steam Loco has started

DJM Dave

Yup, they must have.

Sorry about the lack of update, I'm somewhere much further east of Great Yarmouth at the minute pulled away by a last minute 'thing' that came up.........steady now, steady

Am back on Monday and will pie/graph/scribbled line it in an update then.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

:heart_mini: YES!!!!!!! So glad common sense has won through here!!

To say I am happy about this is an understatement. I have only just found out today, you wouldn't believe how? I looked up the Farish castle thread because I I know they are due out soon and wanted to find out more and someone on there mentioned the DJM King. I have gone and ordered one, now to go fourth and spread the word!

• Like 4

Hi everyone,

Here's the latest update as of today Friday 12th May.

Despite adverts starting to hit magazines there has been a distinct drop off in orders for this locomotive.

I'm not going to do a pie chart but in order the numbers are as follows...

001=50, 002=51, 003=48, 004=27, 005=67

I am not despondent though, as i truly believe more people will come aware of the project over the next 6 weeks and sign up to it. It may just show the size of N as opposed to OO gauge in a new light, or that people just do not want a large GWR loco on the back of the wonderful Farish Castle...... i truly don't know.

Onwards and upwards as they say, and i'm pretty sure this model will be a big success, it's just getting the word out, because this detailed a model at this price is perfect for those that want something GWR / WR on their layouts.

Updates will come weekly now as that way we can judge more easily the trends in this project.

Cheers

Dave

I hope this gets made. I am one of those not to have signed up as yet.

It is all too easy to fill in my details and hit the send button to register for these crowd funded models but pay later. I have a number (not double figures yet) of commitments with both DJM and Revolution.

I am  wondering  if  the  arrival  of  the  Farish  Castle  has  actually  weakened  the  case  for  a  King,  personally  I am  awaiting  the  arrival of  the  sound  version of  the  Castle, but  a  couple  of  my  N  gauge friends  have  purchased  the non sound  versions  and  when  we  discussed  the  King  project did not appear  too enthusiastic saying  that  they could  not  justify  any  further   commitment  at  the  present  time  and  that they did not  really  need  another  'large' GWR/WR loco,

It is  a pity perhaps   that  the  King  project  was  not  launched   a few  months  earlier?

I'd have thought there are a number of people who committed to the OO version, who have been discarded when that project when down the pan so are unwilling to commit to this one.

Interesting prose!

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Here's the latest update as of today Friday 12th May.

Despite adverts starting to hit magazines there has been a distinct drop off in orders for this locomotive.

I'm not going to do a pie chart but in order the numbers are as follows...

001=50, 002=51, 003=48, 004=27, 005=67

I am not despondent though, as i truly believe more people will come aware of the project over the next 6 weeks and sign up to it. It may just show the size of N as opposed to OO gauge in a new light, or that people just do not want a large GWR loco on the back of the wonderful Farish Castle...... i truly don't know.

Onwards and upwards as they say, and i'm pretty sure this model will be a big success, it's just getting the word out, because this detailed a model at this price is perfect for those that want something GWR / WR on their layouts.

Updates will come weekly now as that way we can judge more easily the trends in this project.

Cheers

Dave

Just as a reminder, where is it we need to get to? I had in my mind 250 of each but I could just have imagined that.

Chris

I'd have thought there are a number of people who committed to the OO version, who have been discarded when that project when down the pan so are unwilling to commit to this one.

I had ordered the OO version but will not be ordering the N gauge one. This is only on the simple grounds because I do not do N gauge.

• RMweb Premium

I had ordered the OO version but will not be ordering the N gauge one. This is only on the simple grounds because I do not do N gauge.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I had the 9 BR Versions plus the Steam Ltd Ed on preorder in OO Gauge but won't be ordering the N Gauge versions. It would be interesting to know the number of total preorders the OO Gauge one had. Obviously must have been a fairly low number since they said they were withdrawing due to the Hornby model alone.

• RMweb Premium

I think if there had been a straight forward state event from Dave at the time Hattons withdrew saying , things had changed, post Brexit, the Hornby one was suppressing the market, therefor I am cancelling this, then people would have understood and moved on . However as far as I can see the OO gauge customers have been left hanging with a vague statement that it may proceed at some stage in the future. I don't think Kexit had been dealt with particularly well , which I'm sure may have some impact on this. But as you say it may be that n gauge market is just so much smaller that it can't sustain a crowd funded model, although the Revolution Pendo seems to be doing alright. Could it be there are more n gauge modern image modellers than steam?

I don't think it's a vague statement saying it might proceed in the future, it's more positive than saying it's dropped. Which it isn't.

Hattons figures for the King were quite buoyant, but when you take into account the variations to detail etc, not buoyant enough to, when taking into account the saturation of a 'competing' model of the same class, justify putting a huge amount of money into a project where it would take a very long time indeed to recoup and make profit.

The best thing was to withdraw the OO one from further development, and not throw good money at something that in the short term would have been a liability. It's a decision I fully understand and agree with.

• RMweb Gold

I think if there had been a straight forward state event from Dave at the time Hattons withdrew saying , things had changed, post Brexit, the Hornby one was suppressing the market, therefor I am cancelling this, then people would have understood and moved on . However as far as I can see the OO gauge customers have been left hanging with a vague statement that it may proceed at some stage in the future. I don't think Kexit had been dealt with particularly well , which I'm sure may have some impact on this. But as you say it may be that n gauge market is just so much smaller that it can't sustain a crowd funded model, although the Revolution Pendo seems to be doing alright. Could it be there are more n gauge modern image modellers than steam?

To be honest I thought Dave's statement was fair and explained the situation well. If you want an example of left hanging, look at things like the Bachmann Class 24/1 which still seems to be planned but for which no progress is ever reported.

Roy

But as you say it may be that n gauge market is just so much smaller that it can't sustain a crowd funded model, although the Revolution Pendo seems to be doing alright. Could it be there are more n gauge modern image modellers than steam?

Revolution's Pendolino and 321/320 are going ahead but the 21/29 did not get the numbers. It could be that there are more MI modelers.

It could also just be the MI modelers tend to be younger and more open to alternative funding mechanisms while older modelers prefer to stick waiting for a product to be released before shelling out their cash?

With reference  to  the  size  of  the  N  Gauge  Market  vs  00....

I  have  before me  Hattons  Summer  brochure  which  they  send   usually  with  their  orders....it  has  31  pages in total  advertising  their  wares!

Of  those  pages   24  list  00  items,   of  the  remaing  6  pages  3,1/2 pages  list  N  Gauge,  and  the  remaining  pages  are  dedicated  to  0. 00-9  and  non specific lines  such  as  power units   decoders  etc. 

I am  not  saying  that  this  is  a  positive indication  of   the  size  of  the  UK  outline N Gauge  market,  but  it  may  indicate how  a  retailer  may  perceive  it!

Incidentally  the  brochure  came  with  an  order  containing  around  £350  worth  of  N GAUGE!

Hi Dave

Without wanting to be negative or pessamistic on this, what is the plan if you don't hit the required figure? Will you leave the order book open longer and delay production?

That's an interesting question that if we are honest is probably on a few minds. I really do hope this goes ahead and I have said I would like two Kings.

If by the date set the level of interest fails to meet the required figure, I cannot see that an extension of time would help/do the trick.  I have already decided where my money will be alternatively spent...on a couple of Castles. I will surely not be alone on deciding this.

Hopefully enough interest will make the Kings viable by the given date, and I can go for them first and get some Castles at my leisure. I'm sure they will be around for a few years to come!

This isn't pessimism on my part either, rather realism.   Anyway, fingers crossed the Kings happen.

Agreed. A firm deadline and an ongoing forum presence is necessary to create a sense of excitement and engagement and fear of missing out, and to get waverers off the fence. I thought Revolution did an excellent job in building interest in their N Gauge B Class Tanks. 

I also think this project could do with more airtime over at the NGF.