Scotrail Terminus

MrWhippyO

Hi folks,

I have been looking at Tim Horn's laser cut baseboards for a potential new layout. Looking at 3ft x 1ft as a scenic section, with a fiddle yard to be added in the future. 

I am thinking a layout of a typical Scotrail modern image station with 156s, 158s and 170s, possibly with some OHLE in the future.

Here is a potential track plan. My only concern is that it could be quite cramped?

Any thoughts, ideas to make things more realistic are greatly appreciated!

post-12931-0-57354700-1489529001_thumb.png

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

I have been looking at Tim Horn's laser cut baseboards for a potential new layout. Looking at 3ft x 1ft as a scenic section, with a fiddle yard to be added in the future. 

I am thinking a layout of a typical Scotrail modern image station with 156s, 158s and 170s, possibly with some OHLE in the future.

Here is a potential track plan. My only concern is that it could be quite cramped?

Any thoughts, ideas to make things more realistic are greatly appreciated!

Hi there,

I'm sure that trackplan would have been rationalised by the era you are thinking to model?

If you look at most of the terminal stations in Scotland - they have all been chopped apart and then minimal trackage reinstated to cover the remaining services.

Other than that - good to see another Scottish layou in the planning.

Thanks

The Track layout is very cramped, not very Scottish  really as most termini were on quite lavish sites.

The facing crossover gives access to all platforms for arrivals, but departures from only one platform,  whereas the full size railways almost always have trailing crossovers which would allow arrivals at three platforms and departures from all four.

• RMweb Gold

I assume we are talking 4mm/OO. That is far too cramped. Simply not space for five tracks and two platforms in 1' width. And I don't think there are any stations with four platform faces that only take two-coach trains. No two-coach EMU's either.

Even in N, it would need to be pruned down a bit with some of the platforms having track lifted and the platforms that are still in use having been shortened.

Edit: You might like to take a look at the various compact stations in Leith and imagine what they would look like today with a simplified track layout.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

Guest eddie reffin

Looking at the plan, only the bottom platform would be able to realistically hold even a two car 156/8. In 4mm, a 170 is give or take 3ft long so wouldn't even get on the layout. Unfortunately the only option would be to add another similar board and have two platform faces at most. Even back in the 80s there wasn't many stations outside the cities with a large number of platforms left. Oban would have been one of the few but even that lost the inside platforms around 83/84.

If you have a look at my small depot layout Lochoan Depot, it uses two of Tim's boards and even it seems cramped. Its not easy to make it believable in such a restricted space. Always good to have more Scottish layouts on the go. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

Why not consider a Tweedbank track plan with Island face add a bridge at the 3 foot mark and have it as a photo set until you add a second board . I would also suggest have a look at Steve`s Parkhouse in N layout as a track plan  idea - clearly its in the better scale gauge combination but if you stick with OO its where you are ... 

Robert 

Thanks for the replies,

The two main points being raised is cramped and platforms too short, which I feared might be the case!

I have never considered venturing down the N gauge route as I've just been a creature of habit with OO. Maybe N gauge is worth a go for a layout like this. I wouldn't have a clue where to begin with N gauge though!

One of my biggest inspirations has been "the sidings" but I didn't want to create a carbon copy of that! If anyone can think of a similar location to attempt to model, the idea of DRS locos coming and going is something I'd like to try!

Thanks,

James

As you now my layout is built on Tim's boards and is 1ft wide. In reality I think probably 4 tracks without platforms is about the limit without looking cramped. Why not like others have said rationalise it, maybe a island platform with a track each side of it so you can add some depth to the back scene?

My philosophy is less is more.

My next project may be a modern terminus but won't be cramped, watch the space!  

! If anyone can think of a similar location to attempt to model, the idea of DRS locos coming and going is something I'd like to try!

How about part of a DRS depot? Just model the fuel point for example and have the depot building as the back scene.

I was considering doing part of Gresty Bridge as Crewe is somewhere I do visit frequently.

I am about to start another model of the MENTOR coach so being able to have that stabled with a pair of DRS 37's on it would be ideal. I think my main issue is I try and put too many potential movements into one layout.

How many units do you intend to fit on a platform (i.e can all platforms comfortably fit a class 170?)

If they could fit 4 units, you could split and join 2 156s to add operational interest (like at Crainlarich).

As a small scottish branch, it wouldn't be unreasonable to include small Caledonian Sleeper trains (4 coaches and 1/2 locos) which would allow more variety in Sleeper traction (class 37, 47, 66, 67, 73 all on non-electrified routes in the last 5 years)

My issue with a switch to N gauge, although it would make a layout like this more doable in the space, I do have a few Network rail coaches and DRS locos etc in OO. I have no idea how difficult coaches like the MENTOR would be in N gauge!

I don't know if controllers etc are all interchangeable as well?

• RMweb Gold

have a look at Ian Futers' plan called Victoria Park. Designed as a modern small ScotRail terminus.

Ian's plan for in O gauge and was for 8' x 18" if I recall rightly. SO scaling it down it should fit into 4'x1' with no problems. It has 3 platforms and just enough space to hold a two-car or 3 car DMU. Heres a video of it in action.

If you're limited to 3x1 scenic and want something similar (but different) to 'the sidings', then how about modelling the inside of a depot building? Say, 3 tracks coming through the doors (from the fiddle yard), the back scene is the inside wall of the building which leads up to an angled corrugated roof that dissappears behind the lighting pelmet. The inside of this building should be long enough to hold a 3 car dmu, and you could decorate it as you choose with inspection platforms, inspection pits, etc. Then when you've had enough of multiple units you can always stock it with DRS locos etc as you see fit (Any vehicle could have ended up in a shed receiving attention). By just modelling the back wall and ends and having the roof disappear up into nothing it should achieve the enclosed feeling of being in a building but with no view obstructions. Decorate with suitably Scottish depot plaques and you've set a location.

• Like 2

If you're limited to 3x1 scenic and want something similar (but different) to 'the sidings', then how about modelling the inside of a depot building? Say, 3 tracks coming through the doors (from the fiddle yard), the back scene is the inside wall of the building which leads up to an angled corrugated roof that dissappears behind the lighting pelmet. The inside of this building should be long enough to hold a 3 car dmu, and you could decorate it as you choose with inspection platforms, inspection pits, etc. Then when you've had enough of multiple units you can always stock it with DRS locos etc as you see fit (Any vehicle could have ended up in a shed receiving attention). By just modelling the back wall and ends and having the roof disappear up into nothing it should achieve the enclosed feeling of being in a building but with no view obstructions. Decorate with suitably Scottish depot plaques and you've set a location.

Some pics of Perth taken in 2015 this is on the site of carriage sidings (1860?)

post-21665-0-74930900-1489620790_thumb.jpg

post-21665-0-45453100-1489620830_thumb.jpg

post-21665-0-20192600-1489620856_thumb.jpg

post-21665-0-86967800-1489620894_thumb.jpg

post-21665-0-77692000-1489620925_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you've just got 3' to play with for the scenery how about modelling just the buffer stops and (say) 4" of concourse of a major terminal? The scenic break could be a road overbridge over the station conveniently 32" from the blocks. 6 parallel lines in groups of 2 a la Glasgow Queen Street (in fact why not just model Queen St?) would give a nice amount of variety and you'd only need 2 coaches and a loco per train thus keeping your fiddle yard short. You wouldn't be able to show the locos hauling the departing trains as they'd be off scene, but you could show incoming trains arrive, have their locos hooked off and after a suitable delay the coaches could then disappear closely followed by the incoming engine. You could leave the odd engine on the blocks for visual interest and it departing light to the shed later. Add a crossover between 2 platforms for more interest, add in some DMU's and there you go....

Edit:

With a 2' wide baseboard you could have the 6 scenic tracks enter a 12 track traverser - lots of storage and no points to worry about!

Edited by 37409
  • Like 2