Mr B's Workbench

Hi all,

After a prolonged absence I'm aiming to ease myself back into railway modelling with a few small projects. The first of these has been altering my Hornby 'Tintagel Castle' to 5008 'Raglan Castle' - you may remember the enquiries which I made elsewhere: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118317-renaming-the-Hornby-castle/ Well, I'm happy to present the result of that...

post-8285-0-95338500-1489587543_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-62572700-1489587660_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-17033300-1489587700_thumb.jpg

Etched plates and transfers came from Modelmaster; the original bufferbeam numbers were removed with Microsol and a scalpel blade. The new numbers are a bit wonky but should be fine from normal viewing distances.

post-8285-0-81613200-1489587746_thumb.jpg

I also have plates for a Bachmann 'Kinlet Hall' which will become 4989 'Cherwell Hall', but I am currently debating whether to give it a full repaint or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mr B,

Nice job - keep them coming! I look forward to the Halls.

All the best,

Castle

Without further ado, then, here is a Hall...

post-8285-0-70961500-1491493395_thumb.jpg

I suppose I should share its story. It's a Bachmann "Kinlet Hall", and I bought it quite cheaply in an eBay auction that also included a Hornby 'Flying Scotsman'. Both looked very sorry for themselves - non-runners, and covered in thick dust. Well, I just had to take pity on them...

'Kinlet Hall' took some time to get working, as the slidebars were damaged; therefore the crossheads weren't located properly and kept falling out. I ordered a replacement part from Bachmann and the chassis seems to be working fine now. On to the body...

post-8285-0-96089200-1491493818_thumb.jpg

The body looked fine after a wash in warm water, except that the U-shaped bit of wire which forms the cab handrails had gone missing - so I made up some replacements. Easy job! As you can see, I've already removed the bufferbeam number in preparation for a change of identity - this will become 4989 "Cherwell Hall" (assuming everything goes to plan!) However, I've put off the application of plates because I'm still not sure whether I want to give the model a full repaint. On the one hand, I might be able to improve on the Bachmann finish (particularly the thick orange lining). On the other hand, I've never repainted a model before and might cock it up. I will probably mull it over for a bit longer - answers on a postcard please...

Archived