Western Ranger Nameplate Position

Mattgod69

• RMweb Premium

Good Evening All,

I have noticed when looking at certain images of Western Ranger with red backed plates that they show the position of the nameplate to not be central to the loco body.

Has anybody any info on when this happened and was it on both sides or only one? I presume this happened when it was prepared by Laira for rail tour duty as I can't find any photos of it with black plates in the non central position?

This photo https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:D1013_Western_Ranger_in_Paddington.jpg shows what i mean.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I have searched and cannot find anything.

Matt Godley

Good Evening All,

I have noticed when looking at certain images of Western Ranger with red backed plates that they show the position of the nameplate to not be central to the loco body.

Has anybody any info on when this happened and was it on both sides or only one? I presume this happened when it was prepared by Laira for rail tour duty as I can't find any photos of it with black plates in the non central position?

This photo https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:D1013_Western_Ranger_in_Paddington.jpg shows what i mean.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I have searched and cannot find anything.

Matt Godley

Hi Matt

Some Western nameplates do look off the central position but it's due sometimes to name used  and the length   no Western nameplate was ever moved other than for the wrong spelling on D1029.

Cheers Gareth

Western Ranger's nameplate was definitely offset on one side. I've seen it mentioned before so when I came to stick them on mine I had a good look at photos to get it right.

By comparing these two photos you can see that one side is a letter further over compared with the other:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wilster200/16485015108/in/photolist-r7J1Eq-SocWHE-9rbpA1-pevRDV-c3PWtm-ozCCHg-q8XCmy-ShV44j-mAxjnZ-oH3jpb-oUmFrB-awsa8E-q9HAcj-S8Usws-raJWVc-eaYoxR-oWRRWo-drizut-a4ddFc-oznzdi-Ce3DWR-Dwsogv-Rwa8Ta-Rt8aMt-dgiLdX-qLd3ie-KVwcH9-eecWgf-c1PJDW-ozDp8a-2gPMj-Q1jqw9-QYLv8n-RcgSJo-ng7Wdd-Q5JXFw-tWUYXJ-GTrgBW-RFrXDL-ejzKaS-aS1HBX-bbWvSp-cyE7Vo-c4WYU1-aS1Gkc-qyM6xL-aPnFTt-9UAsh9-c5tkTQ-fKvyzj

https://www.flickr.com/photos/invader1009/15349551217/in/photolist-poosNM-Su9wVi-eJc3Mb-SsZmMB-SficDq-duBezV-qHD6vm-ddqLnc-bZQtiS-qZKkEi-dSSiY9-meVhMM-aknssy-ebBofT-doDabH-cK1yAj-e5hxS9-orgtPq-eaYoxR-6U51h4-frHUuZ-kRby6H-dSXMgV-e7h4pi-dTqkqc-dtyHQr-bxHzq9-pETZxJ-dciJGa-jDEXhK-RQS9G9-dsG7vP-RdWxVq-9q5uJR-qLd3ie-8mmkys-aJJNyz-bhQ37K-bfXv7z-9ppr7L-aLcf6X-nD44ma-aRvsqx-bo2Jda-bpq5ww-sgekfh-ebY1Yc-d8W2xE-6T3sAz-SzZ1EF

The cut out rectangle in the skirt on the first image shows these are the two different sides, click to enlarge.

I had a look at the both images it does look that it's one letter out on one side to the other it might have been that way since it was built as on a black background

you don't notice so much. As for repainting the nameplates red they were painted while still on the loco as nameplates were bolted on. Painted at Laira May 76

It was said that D1029 had it's name and number plates painted red in 1973 but no colour photo to say yes or no.

D1018 Western Buccaneer ran without a nameplate on one side of the loco in 1971 after a damaged nameplate was removed it was later replaced at Swindon works

after the loco was in for repair between Nov 71 and April 72.    

Another loco that ran around with the numbers missing of it's cab side was D1015 in 1976 I have photo of it at Cardiff. 

D1036 had it's cab side number plates higher than the nameplates. 

D1000 Carried non standard nameplates to any other Western.

Cheers Gareth

• RMweb Premium

It was said that D1029 had it's name and number plates painted red in 1973 but no colour photo to say yes or no.

Cheers Gareth

"No" according to these:

10419700166_8cfaf633c0_z.jpgFEB 74 02. D1029 Western Legionnaire entering Redruth with the 09:15 Penzance-Manchester, September(?) 1973 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

Probably September 1973. Processing stamp (delayed by Kodak strike) FEB 74

10421079784_b74da7d4ff_z.jpgMAR 74 09. D1029 Western Legionnaire at Severn Tunnel Junction. September 1973? by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

Possibly September 1973. Processing stamp (delayed by Kodak strike) MAR 74

10422084055_2655c9c70a_z.jpgD1029 Western Legionnaire with the 0905 Paddington-Birmingham at St Andrews Junction, July 23 1974 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

July 23 1974, but admittedly the nameplate is not legible. 1029 was the number I wrote on the slide mount.

Good Evening All,

Matt Godley

I see what you mean Matt, and I have never noticed this before....  but looking at my only decent side-on photo, the nameplate does not seem to be central.

post-4474-0-53060600-1489941391_thumb.jpg

Archived