Lammas Lane-N Gauge London Underground

OliverSR

I thought I'd start a thread about my various items of N Gauge Underground rolling stock on my Layout Lammas Lane.
I purchased the layout ready built with the intention of running a Corgi Underground train I was motorising on it. I intend to try to add 4th rail and a few underground touches eventually.

I did cover this conversion on another thread here:http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42969-corgi-london-underground-tube-carriage-released-1142-scale/?p=2563030

Following my conversion of the corgi underground train into N Gauge 1996 stock I wanted to add to my rolling stock and purchased the excellent N-Train kit for 1959 stock. The kit consists of 3D printed body shells and floors and self adhesive vinyl sides available in multiple liveries. The body shells are painted in a suitable base primer which for me is red and the roofs painted grey. The assembly couldn't be simpler as they are designed to use RTR bogies and the kato ones I opted for clipped straight in with no mods needed and the tomytec chassis recommended was also easy to fit. Then the vinyls are applied and this is the result.

AAF16103-F4A4-47D0-B8A3-3BBE2CB117BC.jpeg.b78e354e1f6435840b7e272fad558927.jpeg
B4D1AF88-B22D-4DBD-B686-BF2B53CDD09E.jpeg.55828cc1fb81d43b1a1d34481822f636.jpeg
98E769EB-3A2D-41A3-8A79-E473B09CB158.jpeg.40e828b1576a7961d0388531da9d03a7.jpeg
32E8F0CC-74E9-44BC-BEAC-6752A7B92F35.jpeg.242435f3dc9b18e7aefd976977125187.jpeg

All in all a very easy to assemble kit and I'm very pleased with the results.

I will hopefully update this thread with any more Projects from me in N Gauge.
OliverSR

Edited by OliverSR
  • Like 6

I thought I'd start a thread about my various N Gauge Underground exploits.

I purchased the layout ready built with the intention of running a Corgi Underground train I was motorising on it. I intend to try to add 4th rail and a few underground touches eventually.

I did cover this conversion on another thread here:http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42969-corgi-london-underground-tube-carriage-released-1142-scale/?p=2563030

Following my conversion of the corgi underground train into N Gauge 1996 stock I wanted to add to my rolling stock and purchased the excellent N-Train kit for 1959 stock. The kit consists of 3D printed body shells and floors and self adhesive vinyl sides available in multiple liveries. The body shells are painted in a suitable base primer which for me is red and the roofs painted grey. The assembly couldn't be simpler as they are designed to use RTR bogies and the kato ones I opted for clipped straight in with no mods needed and the tomytec chassis recommended was also easy to fit. Then the vinyls are applied and this is the result.

IMG_2074_zpsrmbpesv8.jpg

IMG_2073_zps39jjkbie.jpg

IMG_2076_zps7zvsxyrj.jpg

IMG_2075_zps5kf4cfan.jpg

All in all a very easy to assemble kit and I'm very pleased with the results.

I will hopefully update this thread with any more Projects from me in N Gauge.

OliverSR

Hi Oliver

I'm currently creating pseudo 1959 and 1938 sets with the corgi trains, and I woul dbe very interested to see how you link yours up, could you share some photos please?

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi Oliver

I'm currently creating pseudo 1959 and 1938 sets with the corgi trains, and I would be very interested to see how you link yours up, could you share some photos please?

Thanks

For my Corgi conversion I had to make my own couplings because the bogies are too far from the ends for the couplings on the Kato bogies to reach. I used brass wire bent into a bar and hook. I tend to drill into the floor or body of the loco when I attach wire couplings then bend the wires through it before glueing it in place ensuring it's fully anchored in place. It's not the most elegant coupling solution but in N gauge it's not really noticeable and you can decide how far you make the hook depending on the curves it's got to negotiate. Anyway here are some photos I hope they are helpful.

OliverSR

post-18845-0-83164700-1490035171.jpg

post-18845-0-39298300-1490035181.jpg

• Like 3

A long overdue update on this layout.

I will provide a quick summary of the bits done on the layout.

A lot of work was done on the wiring so I now have isolating controls. A modified signal kit was built which has been connected to the point to switch both simultaneously. Using fine scale code 40 track building components 3rd and 4th rails were added which look the part to me without hindering the running of any stock. Lineside cable was scratch built using arms from OO telegraph poles and plastic rod(which took absolutely ages but sets the scene well). The platform had fencing fitted. I also designed and ordered from Shapeways some Lineside isolator huts to stick on the platform beyond the public reach.

Rolling stock has also been a focus of making N-Train kits for both preserved 1938 stock and 1978 D stock.

The 1935 battery loco gained a spoil train and a dummy loco both kits from Parkwood Models. The second battery loco I opted to paint in blue with yellow ends for a bit of variety.

Using Electra Railways vinyls and some cast cab ends a 4TC set for steam on the met events was made and this allows steam locos to appear On occasional services.

To tail these trains I have made a Parkwood Models Metropolitan Loco as a dummy Sarah Siddons.

I have a few more kits lined up for the future stock and intend to revisit some of the older items hopefully improving them. For now I’ll stick up a few recent photos including the Christmas decorations that snuck onto the layout.

70B67DE3-7302-40E3-B493-B5A09E32B164.jpeg.a4c5be847e1a5f9777db447cd183686e.jpeg
4AF389BE-8323-43FF-871B-162DA3EA7A6A.jpeg.62cd9977088b263c266fa45dda9a0f2a.jpeg3D0A3063-E739-48DA-A162-5E4BB289C88F.jpeg.4aa736bf5dcb380d43e75cb594628ac1.jpegE6D60820-3027-46E4-B50B-453D3705F0F2.jpeg.7c8d29185d031fc3ae4976d225a6fe28.jpeg73A6C314-A8A2-4D56-86B9-24A3EAB2A680.jpeg.a6d75683ed7fe7bc1cdd49e084b7e404.jpeg5C38CB76-ACFD-4FA7-A9D7-577D40B1264B.jpeg.25d98db2ec9f7b68458c56399d33cd6d.jpegF0F4CEA0-84FE-4B75-887C-963B2580B2C9.jpeg.c8cd0430626c6d98b3bbdab2066ba88d.jpeg52B5B514-13B4-4A3A-936D-822F156867D5.jpeg.909ebc1d7bd2ad0090fb845cb696fe7d.jpeg

Feel free to ask any questions as I know I skimmed over the bits done on the layout and rolling stock.

Im glad the topic is finally up to date at least.

OliverSR

Edited by OliverSR
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 21/12/2019 at 02:37, ianmianmianm said:

I've got the same D stock vinyls on the way - they do look a bit bumpy? Was the fit an issue? Compared to the 59 stock which seems a lot cleaner?

Thanks

Ian 

I think the bumpy look is more due to my (arguably poor) choice to brush paint the prints in a thick acrylic primer and if I was doing this again I’d approach them differently with a spray primer and plenty of sanding. I did this quite a while ago but remember the door vinyls not being a great fit as I think they were too long. I’d certainly not consider my efforts to be a good representation of what is possible with a bit more patience and planning. From normal viewing distance I’m happy with them though.

On 21/12/2019 at 10:46, John M Upton said:

Nice work.

Are the Shapeways lineside insulator huts available to purchase by any chance as I could use a couple please?

I had a look at and I could release the design on shapeways to purchase but they are now showing up at about £7.50 which is double the cost of when I got them printed so it’s up to you whether you think it’s something still of interest. Here is a link to a preview of the item (Lineside Huts) please let me know either on this thread or via PM and I can make them purchasable.

OliverSR

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, OliverSR said:

I think the bumpy look is more due to my (arguably poor) choice to brush paint the prints in a thick acrylic primer and if I was doing this again I’d approach them differently with a spray primer and plenty of sanding. I did this quite a while ago but remember the door vinyls not being a great fit as I think they were too long. I’d certainly not consider my efforts to be a good representation of what is possible with a bit more patience and planning. From normal viewing distance I’m happy with them though.

Ah okay. I had trouble with painting here as we don't have consistent car paint supplies or colours, so it took a while to find something to do the roofs (we have a matt walnut spray paint that seems to work). There's been some overspray on the sides but hopefully it should be okay. I guess I will trim the doors first....

Thank you!

32 minutes ago, OliverSR said:

I had a look at and I could release the design on shapeways to purchase but they are now showing up at about £7.50 which is double the cost of when I got them printed so it’s up to you whether you think it’s something still of interest. Here is a link to a preview of the item (Lineside Huts) please let me know either on this thread or via PM and I can make them purchasable.

OliverSR

+1 for me. Just done a huge order for Shapeways whch is on it's way, but I would definitely include these in the next batch of orders I did - and I think if you made them available they would sell.... 

• Like 1

Oliver and others -  I just fitted some of the Train Tech carriage lights into my D stock, which fit beautifully and work very well. A bit of an expensive addition, but I felt I needed it in having an "underground" station - and in fact I am now going to work on a section of tunnel wall as well.  My unit is, like yours, a pre-refurb, so I had to paint the seats and inside doors in orange. I will add photos on the Leamouth thread.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 years later...

Yes the layout still stands,

5A505D59-5F8F-4509-BCC3-B8E26D94F185.jpeg.5683b86be5249b266c505a1cbd01bddd.jpeg
This weekend just gone I exhibited Lammas Lane for the first time(for me as a solo exhibitor and the layout).

There were many very positive comments on the layout and stock, with many compliments to the layout design and low relief buildings which shows what a good job @jamest did when he built it originally. Safe to say the layout is still going strong and I had a great time running trains, chatting to people and drinking plenty of tea(some people even identified the areas of west London which inspired the layouts theming).

I’m working on a video showing the various stock I was running over the weekend which I hope to share soon.

OliverSR

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Oliver,

Great to see the layout again, and thanks for your kind words.

I think I over-engineered the wood content in the frame work so I hope you are hernia free after moving it about 🙂

all the best,

James

7 hours ago, jamest said:

I think I over-engineered the wood content in the frame work so I hope you are hernia free after moving it about 🙂

It wasn’t too bad to move and the solid engineering is probably the reason why it has lasted so well. It provided flawless performance over the whole weekend(only needing track cleaning which you’d expect after a year or so). The form factor really made it easy to set up and take down afterwards.

As promised earlier here is a short video showing off the various rolling stock running on the layout over the weekend. I hope you forgive the cruel close ups and slightly shaken phone camerawork.

OliverSR

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Lammas Lane will be at the Hucclecote Model Railway Exhibtion tomorrow. Feel free to say hi if you are visiting.
This last minute show attendance is due to another layout exhibitor injury.

OliverSR