Old oak common open day 2 September

I understand all of the negativity in the above posts and can understand the questioning behind such an event, however if I could just put forward my own personal thoughts:

• Yeah I went round the depot with my Dad as a kid in the early 80's and yep it's gone
  • OOC is still currently a depot of some description which as I understand is due to close
  • Maybe the current staff there are proud of their heritage and wish to show off their skills (one last time) keeping the current GW mainline running with an aging fleet
  • Maybe they do want to promote new fleets, what operator wouldn't in this day an age
  • I don't work in the rail industry (to my dismay at times) so I don't get to see the inner workings of a current rail depot and collect images to base my modelling on
  • And for Christs sake it's for charity, maybe the men and women working there currently think we all might like to see it one last time and from the proceeds maybe a few lives will be changed

Perhaps that is a nice parting gesture on their part  :sungum:

Sorry rant over, shoot me down or delete the post admin, I just feel at times we all forget a bigger picture

You are right, but i prefer to remember the place i started my railway career as it was, not as it is. I think i'll give this a miss.

And I understand that train of thought as well, apologies if I offend. My comments are based on that fact as I remember OC is long gone, the open day is on the carriage sidings/HST depot that as I remember 30 years ago no one was interested in.........times change for us all I guess......apologies again

• RMweb Premium

Step change in passenger experience................................but in which direction ?? :)

Up? I gather the 800's have quite high floors...

I understand all of the negativity in the above posts and can understand the questioning behind such an event, however if I could just put forward my own personal thoughts:

• Yeah I went round the depot with my Dad as a kid in the early 80's and yep it's gone
  • OOC is still currently a depot of some description which as I understand is due to close
  • Maybe the current staff there are proud of their heritage and wish to show off their skills (one last time) keeping the current GW mainline running with an aging fleet
  • Maybe they do want to promote new fleets, what operator wouldn't in this day an age
  • I don't work in the rail industry (to my dismay at times) so I don't get to see the inner workings of a current rail depot and collect images to base my modelling on
  • And for Christs sake it's for charity, maybe the men and women working there currently think we all might like to see it one last time and from the proceeds maybe a few lives will be changed

Perhaps that is a nice parting gesture on their part  :sungum:

Sorry rant over, shoot me down or delete the post admin, I just feel at times we all forget a bigger picture

And to add to that, if it's anything like the St Philip's Marsh open day last year it will be an extremely well organised and run event and well worth attending.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tickets are on sale now. £20 each! I know its 'all profits go to charity' etc but was a little surprised at the price, obviously open days too are now affected by privatised railway inflation busting price rises ;) Either a lot is going to charity or FGW are saying this is an expensive event to stage (or a cynic might say they are pocketing a little?). I also assume insurance is substantial these days though. Having said that I understand DRS charge just £5 for their charity open day..........

• RMweb Gold

What on earth is wrong with some people? The first time that I went to OOC was when Hymeks, Westerns and Warships were around, and there were named Brush 4s at Renelagh Yard. I was living in Nelson (Lancs) at the time, so this very exotic to  a teeno. Now I am in my sixties and live at Ross on Wye, so any trips to London involve going to Pad past OOC and I still look at what's there. Why do some of you take from those that work there and show pride in what they do, just because it what it were when you were there / passing? This is still a living breathing railway that many of us are proud to be a part of.

• Like 1

Personally I am going to DRS Kingmoor but still unsure on OOC. For me OOC does seem a bit steep at £20 compared to what we have been used to, if it was say Crewe or Toton then maybe. London prices ;)

I didnt get to go to Bristol sadly (but did in 1991?) so not sure how much that was, I hear it was a good event though.

Update someones already PM'd me to say entry was £12.50 last year at Bristol and was over subscribed.

Edited by sanspareil

Personally I am going to DRS Kingmoor but still unsure on OOC. For me OOC does seem a bit steep at £20 compared to what we have been used to, if it was say Crewe or Toton then maybe. London prices ;)

I didnt get to go to Bristol sadly (but did in 1991?) so not sure how much that was, I hear it was a good event though.

Update someones already PM'd me to say entry was £12.50 last year at Bristol and was over subscribed.

I tell you what save up £5 a month till September, then your dreams can come true

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think they held quite a few tickets back to sell on the door, though.

The costs do add up if you're taking a family, though at least child tickets are half price - I think they were more than that in Bristol.

A family ticket (two adults and two children) was £32 for Bristol, compared to £45 for OOC. 

If it's anything like as good as Bristol then I'd say it would be worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.oocopenday.com/

Didn't see any link posted previously for tickets, so have done so.....

No doubt it won't be the same as it was for the 'when I were a lad' brigade ...but for many it's an increasingly rare chance to get down 'on the tracks' and the little that remains of the old depot and carriage shed will soon be lost under a 'mega-city' interchange that will engulf OOC and the surrounds...

http://www.oldoakpark.co.uk/our-vision.aspx

Also remember that for some of us the HST shed ( built circa 1976 ) is 'history'....

• RMweb Gold

http://www.oocopenday.com/

Didn't see any link posted previously for tickets, so have done so.....

No doubt it won't be the same as it was for the 'when I were a lad' brigade ...but for many it's an increasingly rare chance to get down 'on the tracks' and the little that remains of the old depot and carriage shed will soon be lost under a 'mega-city' interchange that will engulf OOC and the surrounds...

http://www.oldoakpark.co.uk/our-vision.aspx

Also remember that for some of us the HST shed ( built circa 1976 ) is 'history'....

Just one small point - absolutely nothing remains of the old depot, sometime since vanished under the various worksites taken over for Crossrail.  Everything north of the New Carriage Sidings, and what's left of the Field Sidings, including the Coronation Sidings and Van Sidings plus the Pullman shed and the entire loco shed site was cleared down to/below ground level and even from an aerial view it is virtually impossible to get a hint of what was once there not so many years ago.  All that remains of the 'old' Old Oak Common is part of the carriage shed on the Old Carriage Sidings.   But as you have said the HST servicing shed is also part of history - or soon will be.

None of taht is any reason not to have a sort of 'farewell Old Oak Common' Open Day but linking what is there today back to the 1906 loco depot is a pretty tenuous exercise.

• RMweb Premium

Got to agree with some of the above, surely it's not a celebration of "this building made of bricks made in 1906" but of the depot complex, the fact that there has been a depot on that site (in various incarnations and with various functions) that is known as "Old Oak Common" since 1906?  The [bus] depot I work at is totally different to how it was 20 years ago, the buildings are new and at the opposite side of the complex, where the buildings used to be is now a car park, what used to be bus parking is now offices, and so on.  But we still call it the same, it's still the same depot, as far as we're concerned from a functional point of view, doing the same job in the same place with the same name.  An enthusiast might lament that the old tram sheds have gone, but just like the trams and half-cab buses that lived there, things move on.  That doesn't mean it's any less important, as far as you can really attach "importance" to such things.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having in the past been very much involved with one particular Old Oak open day (see link below)  it will be interesting to see what will be seen at this one  although a Class 800 of some sort and a 387 are obvious candidates.  As the action will inevitably have to concentrate on the carriage shed area (if we are to have any sort of vaguely accurate historical association) it would be really nice if a series of passenger stock down through the years could be assembled but I doubt that is at all likely to happen.  And will there be a steam worked shuttle from Paddington - not so easy now that 1A is no longer available.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58165-the-stationmaster-looks-at-old-oak-common-open-day-in-1981/

I was there, and a jolly good wheeze it was too!

• Like 1