White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam

• RMweb Premium

Just re-read this thread after a Google search for photos of limestone cutting/rock faces for inspiration on my layout brought me back here.  I note you used the Woodland Scenics moulds for the rocks, I see that they do several.  Can I ask, did you use one in particular or a combination of several different ones?  It's very effective and similar to what I'm looking for.  Thanks

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

Just re-read this thread after a Google search for photos of limestone cutting/rock faces for inspiration on my layout brought me back here.  I note you used the Woodland Scenics moulds for the rocks, I see that they do several.  Can I ask, did you use one in particular or a combination of several different ones?  It's very effective and similar to what I'm looking for.  Thanks

Sorry to jump in but they do look good and there's some good you tube videos on painting rock faces using the woodland scenics moulds.

Edited by sb67
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

Woodland Scenics do several different moulds but they appear to be for different strata/rock types. I used only one type and filled the gaps with DAS, or something, with pieces of coal being used to emboss the clay.  I will have to find my mould and see if there is a part number moulded in it anywhere, if you want to know exactly which one I used.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Ruston said:

Woodland Scenics do several different moulds but they appear to be for different strata/rock types. I used only one type and filled the gaps with DAS, or something, with pieces of coal being used to emboss the clay.  I will have to find my mould and see if there is a part number moulded in it anywhere, if you want to know exactly which one I used.

Thanks for that.  Good to know it was done with just one mould, there isn't any obvious sign of repetition which is something I was worried about on mine - guess that the DAS and coal part helps to add a bit of randomness to it, thanks for the tip.  I've ordered a couple of different moulds so will see how they turn out.

• 9 months later...

As of this afternoon, WPL&T will be under new management. I was asked if I'd sell it and as it was put up on a shelf in the garage, at the end of Wakefield Exhibition 2018, and hasn't moved since, I thought that someone else may as well get some enjoyment out of it.

I don't know if the new owner is on this forum but I'll point him in this direction and maybe we can see what happens next with it.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been another busy shift for the locos and crews of White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam Ltd, even working on a Saturday due to a large order that must be fulfilled. 
      The newly arrived Peckett is pressed into service following an earlier steam test and gauging run around the works and to the BR exchange.

ADAA3997-A685-46BC-AD9E-EFE0116AC38A.jpeg

01897D29-DA93-44FE-8442-D4BA16C10F7D.jpeg

900624C3-833A-4BB1-8F81-914650F9E797.jpeg

• Like 19

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, after night and a tractor unit changeover, at a well known motorway services, Lord Thomas has arrived at The Shelby Group’s White Peak Limestone and Tarmacadam Ltd. 

image.png.1b2202afe3581464c12fec8a852a839f.png

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

However, upon arrival at the site it was noted with horror that the Ruston 165DE had been loaded, in Birmingham, the wrong way around! 
    After much deliberation and discussion ( cursing) Charlie Strong’s men have gotten the loco the right way around. 

image.png.b75c2a8e486f8fdc6c718d3526b6017f.png

image.png.706f65e2c9330a155aa73e84a54d21f9.png

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 5

Lord Thomas was to be tested right away on the tar tank duty, taking the empties back down to the BR exchange. 

All of this was only possible due to the assurance from the WPL&T management that and open tab would be arranged back at the Garrison- something they are sure to regret. 

image.png.1429a77bcfb242d98c3d6bc755c59fd0.png

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

In other developments, WPL&T has had a little bit of work done to it, namely a sector plate and 6 road fiddle yard added plus a programming  / test / running in track. The layout has also had some electrical work done to allow for DC and DCC use. 

• Like 2

On 17/04/2021 at 16:19, rsh7684 said:

Lord Thomas was to be tested right away on the tar tank duty, taking the empties back down to the BR exchange. 

All of this was only possible due to the assurance from the WPL&T management that and open tab would be arranged back at the Garrison- something they are sure to regret. 

On 17/04/2021 at 16:15, rsh7684 said:

However, upon arrival at the site it was noted with horror that the Ruston 165DE had been loaded, in Birmingham, the wrong way around! 
    After much deliberation and discussion ( cursing) Charlie Strong’s men have gotten the loco the right way around. 

I take it Charlie has divine intervention on his side.
I take it the hand of the Lord came down and turned the loco.:lol::lol:

Edited by Ruston
Removing dead photo links
  • Funny 2

On 17/04/2021 at 16:09, rsh7684 said:

Well, after night and a tractor unit changeover, at a well known motorway services, Lord Thomas has arrived at The Shelby Group’s White Peak Limestone and Tarmacadam Ltd. 

If that Atki. has a Gardner in it, it will have been a gentle rumble into Derbyshire. Depending on the gearbox, that is. 
The beast I drove had a crash box, so the lazy torque of the Gardner came in very handy.:lol:
These are superb shots, Full ofatmosphere.:heart_mini:
Regards,
Chris.

Edited by Ruston
Removing dead photo links
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rsh7684 said:

In other developments, WPL&T has had a little bit of work done to it, namely a sector plate and 6 road fiddle yard added plus a programming  / test / running in track. The layout has also had some electrical work done to allow for DC and DCC use. 

Pics or it didn't happen. :lol:

• Funny 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, these pics have taken far too long to post. The fiddle is not meant to look pretty in any way whatsoever- it is purely functional. It all works nicely which came as a huge surprise to me! And, of course, increases the operational capabilities of WPL&T. 

9912A09E-0325-42EA-8D6B-C5E7B1FD0039.jpeg

08552ED2-0E54-4779-941E-5E3AA7FAAE07.jpeg

0D07C5BB-F874-4E1B-9136-6D2CA1A88D4D.jpeg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/04/2017 at 20:00, Ruston said:

The next thing to do will be the sub-baseboard wiring, fitting of point motors, uncouplers etc. As I don't have any of that yet I have turned to building stock for the BR period.

Apart from 16-ton minerals and iron ore tipplers being used to carry limestone, I have also seen Dia 1/161 hoppers for this traffic and I quite like the look of them so I am adding more to the two that I will be borrowed from River Don Works. I aquired another two second hand wagons, one Dapol and one Mainline. The frames differ on them but the bodies are the same - both are also too long and heed a lot of work to get them anything like they should be...

Not only is it too long but the body is mounted on a ridiculous plate, which is around a scale three inches thick.

Pictures unavailable due to the pirates at Photobucket.

Stripped down. The couplings, frame and wheels are of no use, so will be binned. The supports need to be cut from the floor plate.

The first razor saw cut is made adjacent to the panel join.

4mm needs cutting off the centre panel and this has been measured and then marked out with masking tape as a cutting guide.

A Parkside 9ft. wheelbase chassis with independent brakes (as on a mineral wagon with bottom doors) is used for the frame sides and brakes. For some bizarre reason this frame kit does not include headstocks, although the version with Morton brake does. I have used the spare headstocks from a Parkside plate wagon, which have been narrowed.

The inset photo shows the longitudinal mounts that have been cut from the floor plate and notched to fit in the new frames.

The hopper body is glued to the chassis and the various supports are glued in place.

Here's one I did earlier but using the frames from a Bachmann BR Dia 1/100 mineral wagon.

On the eBay Madness thread I said I thought you had altered the Mainline hopper wagon to get rid of the baseplate, and am delighted to find I remembered correctly!

Of course, I am absolutely gutted to discover that none of the photos showing how you went about it are here (thank you very much, Photobucket) so am wondering (a) have you recorded these modifications elsewhere on RMWeb/the WWW and/or (b) were these shown in any of your published articles?

Steve S

On 13/04/2017 at 13:53, 5050 said:

Thanks for the demo of how to adapt the hopper wagons.  It's something I've had on my 'to do bucket list' for ages.  I might get a couple of the underframes this weekend at York.

@5050 - I don't suppose you downloaded/saved @Ruston's photos to your hard drive before they were hijacked by the Photobucket Pirates, did you?!

Steve S