White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam

9 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

On the eBay Madness thread I said I thought you had altered the Mainline hopper wagon to get rid of the baseplate, and am delighted to find I remembered correctly!

Of course, I am absolutely gutted to discover that none of the photos showing how you went about it are here (thank you very much, Photobucket) so am wondering (a) have you recorded these modifications elsewhere on RMWeb/the WWW and/or (b) were these shown in any of your published articles?

Steve S

There are some pics on pages 2 and 3 of this thread: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80881-bsc-river-don-works/page/2/ You need to cut the hopper body and supports from the base, cut 4mm out of the length of the hopper, fix the two parts together and then put the shortened body on a 9ft, wheelbase underframe. A double-braked Bachmann slope-sided mineral is best. Make some steps from bent wire, repaint, number and weather, and Bob's yer uncle, one 22-ton hopper!

• Informative/Useful 5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

image.png.f6338d16bbf78c69be59d23b8b64ef43.pngA visit to WPL&T in Derbyshire reveals that yet more motive power has arrived. Namely Hudswell Clarke 204hp 0-6-0 DM and Hunslet 325hp 0-4-0 DH ‘Spearmint’.

image.png.4841291caf2351100f56e7c6905d1dc9.png

The Gardner 8L3 engined Hudswell was photographed on the tar tank duty, bringing the fulls in from the BR exchange, over the weighbridge and, finally, propelling them into the discharge road.

image.png.4ad383a7884ab3acbfa1cadcc427f334.png

The Hunslet 325hp machine utilises the well known Rolls-Royce 6CFL power unit and is seen preparing its train of 21t hoppers for loading. The Shelby Group workshop foreman, Mr Wrigley was noted riding on the running plate. A conversation ensued with Mr Wrigley and it turned out that he was in attendance to provide crew training to the WPL&T “engine movers” after getting completely fed up with the regularity and the horrors that his Garrison Lane facility was seeing the quarry locomotives!

image.png.95fb8027d5458d5f5350c31041f0fe52.png

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/07/2021 at 20:34, rsh7684 said:

The latest arrival at WPL&T for your perusal. 

That Atki will be able to find her own way into Derbyshire soon!:lol:
Great shots, as always,
Regards,
Chris.

Edited by Ruston
Removing dead photo links
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, rsh7684 said:

A conversation ensued with Mr Wrigley and it turned out that he was in attendance to provide crew training to the WPL&T “engine movers” after getting completely fed up with the regularity and the horrors that his Garrison Lane facility was seeing the quarry locomotives!

If you think the WP crews are bad, I heard that someone at the NCB workshops, where it worked before purchase by the Shelby Group, patched up a fuel line with chewing gum and it got into the injection pump, costing hundreds for a new pump. I don't believe it myself. Professionals would never do something like that... :P

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

18 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

That Atki will be able to find her own way into Derbyshire soon!:lol:
Great shots, as always,
Regards,
Chris.

She already knows to stop at Stafford services and then come off the M6 at junction 15 to pick up the A50! I’m sure I’m sur it won’t be long until the rest of the journey is etched forever into her gearbox! 

Edited by rsh7684
Grammar
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Ruston said:

If you think the WP crews are bad, I heard that someone at the NCB workshops, where it worked before purchase by the Shelby Group, patched up a fuel line with chewing gum and it got into the injection pump, costing hundreds for a new pump. I don't believe it myself. Professionals would never do something like that... :P

That’s gives a whole new meaning to the term “gummed up”! 
      On a serious point-it never ceases to amaze what these so-called professionals can get away with. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rsh7684 said:

That’s gives a whole new meaning to the term “gummed up”! 
      On a serious point-it never ceases to amaze what these so-called professionals can get away with. :rolleyes:

This is Agric, my pre-college job in Pembrokeshire.
We used to de-horn calves with an electric de-horning device.
Local anaesthetic and everything.
First time I went to use this thing, I plugged it in, switched it on at the socket and was blown across the calf shed as all the power in the farm went out.
I picked myself up and checked the de-horner plug.
Some bright beauty had used a .22 shell as a fuse and it had slipped.
Nobody ever owned up, needless to say!
Agric was a different world in the 70's.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/08/2021 at 11:47, rsh7684 said:

She already knows to stop at Stafford services and then come off the M6 at junction 15 to pick up the A50! I’m sure I’m sur it won’t be long until the rest of the journey is etched forever into her gearbox! 

ahhh i thought i recognized the locos on t'bay and confirms the location lol looking great as ever. 

It appears that Grimethorpe No2 is already missing her shed mate as it was very reluctant to start for the morning shift. So much so that the Brush/Beyer-Peacock had to do the first run down to the exchange.

image.png.27a6e4be5d1b7a88b587c5536ed8419f.png

image.png.a0d8b2d1165d68b42f320552389df495.png

image.png.90be249379acd4f1760af55eac659aaa.png

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...

WPL&T is due to attend the ‘pop-up’ exhibition at the Middleton Railway on the 18th and 19th of September subject to a pretty major repair and some well coordinated teamwork with @Rustongoing to plan! Please do come along and support this fantastic heritage railway and watch White Peak Limestone and Tarmacadam in action for its first outing under its new custodian. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 09/09/2021 at 21:17, rsh7684 said:

WPL&T is due to attend the ‘pop-up’ exhibition at the Middleton Railway on the 18th and 19th of September subject to a pretty major repair and some well coordinated teamwork with @Rustongoing to plan! Please do come along and support this fantastic heritage railway and watch White Peak Limestone and Tarmacadam in action for its first outing under its new custodian. 

White Peak’s attendance at the Middleton Railway this weekend is cancelled unfortunately due to the aforementioned repairs not going to plan despite @Rustons best efforts. Consequently major S&T works are now planned. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, rsh7684 said:

White Peak’s attendance at the Middleton Railway this weekend is cancelled unfortunately due to the aforementioned repairs not going to plan despite @Rustons best efforts. Consequently major S&T works are now planned. 

Thanks for letting us know as I'm supposed to be setting off for Scotland that morning but was considering calling down at the Middleton first to see the layout even though it's in the opposte direction.

Regards,

Ian.

• 3 weeks later...

Barclay 16” 0-4-0st “Lady Evelyn propels empty hoppers over the weighbridge prior to shunting them for loading, as Barclay 14” 0-4-0st demonstrates a new line of business for the Shelby Group subsidiary White Peak Limestone and Tarmacadam Ltd in the shape of specially selected large pieces of limestone for use in architecture and sculpture.

image.png.19741bb43a53b0ad9dfb4d98181a356c.png

image.png.630a4031f6669a879ab3afd6a5a2283e.png

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 5 weeks later...

The large 16” Manning Wardle was delivered back to White Peak Limestone and Tarmacadam yesterday after a time on loan to the Calder Vale Mineral Railway. 
     Here she is seen having been offloaded the opposite way around to the other steam locomotives to even out the tyre wear, so the engine movers will have to keep their wits about them on the steep gradient down to the exchange, to avoid the firebox crown being uncovered and dropping a plug-or worse!

image.png.a033bda29cafa8378ab52ebbc81700a8.png

image.png.a6539464b20af338d2066f2f8f81f685.png

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

A VERY long overdue update with more detail to follow as soon as time allows... They have been many additions to the WPL&T fleet in this intervening period and more due to be transferred soon, the foreman (Mr Wrigley) and the loco crews do enjoy their variety of steeds - never knowing what they will be called upon to work with next. This keeps them on their toes which in turn nurtures safe practices (usually!)

There has also been an increase in wagon types that are seen at the works. 

It seems that the Shelby Group are very happy with the income from their limestone speculation as there is still a high rate of investment going on within WPL&T or is it just a way of nefarious activities being shrouded in such a venture in rural Derbyshire?

• Like 3