White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam

I am now building the stone crushing and loading plant.

BB18.jpg.9a56c51882893c85c5a1b174b4531d5a.jpg

The top part is removable for storage of the layout as it exceeds the height to be able to fit under the bookshelf.

BB19.jpg.f3d220ec65b1e03b3c0002f81b2535d6.jpg

The gubbins to make it work. I had originally fitted a servo but then I found out that operating a servo requires fancy electronics and what have you, so I have replaced the servo with a 3v motor and gearbox that I had bought from a show for just £3.99. It will be powered by a pair of AA batteries and operated by a DPDT centre-off sprung toggle switch.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

That's looking brilliant. I'm wanting to make a small colliery screens of similar size to your stone loader, what materials did you use and also do you have any photos of the assembly?

Thanks.

Luke

That's looking brilliant. I'm wanting to make a small colliery screens of similar size to your stone loader, what materials did you use and also do you have any photos of the assembly?

Thanks.

Luke

The only photos are those shown here. I used Wills corrugated iron sheeting, Plastruct 4mmx 4mm H-beam, windows from York Modelmaking and various lengths and offcuts of plastruct H and L-section and Plastikard. The staircase is a Plastruct item and the hand rails are made from soldered .5mm brass rod. The drain pipes are brass rod and the signage was done in Photoshop and printed onto decal paper.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

The hopper works! I have wired it up and tested it in situ with a load of ballast. It is very controllable by using a DPDT spung centre-off switch but it holds only enough to fill 8 wagons before it has to be refilled.

• Like 8

I thought I'd post this out of general interest. Whilst searching the interwebs for pictures of quarry buildings I came across this picture of Bowne & Shaw's Black Hawthorn 0-4-0ST at Wirksworth. What interests me is the load; a great lump of stone, and the fact that it is on/in a BR Plate wagon. I guess this must have been another product of quarrying that was carried on the main line into the BR period as I don't suppose it would be on a BR wagon if it was some internal movement.

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/keyword/black%20hawthorn/i-tfXLgK9/A

Looking at the date of the photo, it would coincide with the construction of the deep-water wharf at the Port Talbot steelworks. This used many thousands of tons of limestone, from both local sources (Craig-y-Nos) and from the Peak District. The stone was conveyed on a mixture of bogie bolsters and Plates; as chaining or roping would have been difficult, I suspect the big stones would have rested on a bed of finer stone. 

• Like 5

This has turned out to be a lovely little layout, not that there was ever any doubt. I take it you are enjoying your return to 4mm?

Yes. It's certainly cheaper than 7mm for one thing!

• Like 1

The modern road fleet of White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam conists of tipper trucks on Leyland and Albion chassis...

BB29.jpg.311cd5d4cf9edd1236eb10c760197fff.jpg

Base Toys Leyland. Chassis and bodywork shortened, with weathering added.

BB28.jpg.fda2a7ff8b5b618811e11fed82dd15de.jpg

Base Toys Albion. Chassis shortened and scratch-built aluminium (Plastikard) tipper body fitted, plus weathering.

In the yard, nature slowly reclaims a much older Atkinson...

BB30.jpg.a4d7f819ed2ec4568c3ccb2e32e56ee7.jpg

BB27.jpg.dd35d910f2ec035a169ff99d2855d985.jpg

This Langley kit started out, around 27 years ago, as a recovery truck. I modified it to a ballast tractor and it sat in a scrap yard on my then OO scrapyard layout (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/33412-my-first-industrial-layout/  ) .

I have revived it by dunking in in Nitromors to remove all of the old paintwork and to break down the superglue that held it together. First time around it was very rough and a lot of the casting marks were still on it and I never fitted any glazing. I think it looks better now.

It has been weathered using the hairspray and salt technique and weathering powders in addition to drybrushing and a bit of airbrushing.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The underside of the baseboard. No matter how I try to keep wiring neat and tidy, I always fail. I have had a roll of copper tape lying around since I bought it, years ago, to make corner plates on N gauge wagons, so I decided to try it in place of wire on here.

BB33.jpg.e5242e41a0e215b918fb22fc883e32ce.jpg

In case you were wondering, the electronic gadget with the digital readout is an adjustable voltage output for controlling the stone hopper/loader. The other gadget converts 16v AC to 12v DC and was bought to provide power for the DG electromagnets but doesn't have enough amps, so it now just provides DC to the previous gadget. It may also end up powering lighting.

Edited by Ruston

• RMweb Premium

I know I've just 'agreed' with Stub-U-Like, but I have to say it in my own right, this is an absolutely brilliant little layout.

I'll second that, both Ruston's layouts are stunning work.

Like your bizarre "headline", BTW - Haverfordwest was my home town.

• 3 weeks later...

That's great modelling Ruston, capturing the 'White Peak' quarrying look very well. Totally agree, that the 'open fields and sheep' look right for a Limestone quarry - keep the photo's coming please!

regards

Joe

The open fields look good. Not sure if any large trees would be growing on top of that outcrop. Not much top soil for roots. Small brush/bushes more likely. Gorse/Bramble style perhaps.

Dave

The open fields look good. Not sure if any large trees would be growing on top of that outcrop. Not much top soil for roots. Small brush/bushes more likely. Gorse/Bramble style perhaps.

Dave

From my own experience Dave, you would surprised how shallow rooted some species of tree are, being able to surviving on very marginal land with poor tilth. Admittedly not thriving or attaining the proportions of better positioned cousins.

Best

Guy

A very inspirational layout. Can I ask about the "hairspray and salt" weathering you mentioned in regard to the road vehicles in post #42? Not heard of this technique so I'm intrigued as to how it works and what results specifically are achieved?

Cheers,

Martyn.

• RMweb Gold

This is just superb.

Right up my street and a truly inspirational layout.

Top drawer.

Rob.

• Agree 1

A very inspirational layout. Can I ask about the "hairspray and salt" weathering you mentioned in regard to the road vehicles in post #42? Not heard of this technique so I'm intrigued as to how it works and what results specifically are achieved?

Cheers,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

On the lorry I wanted the bare whitemetal to show through as if it was aluminium sheet bodywork but the same technique is used for rust chips through paintwork. Note that this does not work with enamel paints - not in my experience at least...

First of all you prime the surface if neccesary and then put on a coat of suitable rust colour (I use Tamiya Hull Red)) and leave it to properly dry.

Next you spray the surface with hairspray and sprinke salt on. Use one of those salt grinders if you have one as they are adjustable for the size of grain.

Let the hairspray dry and then airbrush on the top coat.

When that is properly dry, wet the surface - the salt will dissolve and then you can wash it off.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2