White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam

Hi Martyn,

On the lorry I wanted the bare whitemetal to show through as if it was aluminium sheet bodywork but the same technique is used for rust chips through paintwork. Note that this does not work with enamel paints - not in my experience at least...

First of all you prime the surface if neccesary and then put on a coat of suitable rust colour (I use Tamiya Hull Red)) and leave it to properly dry.

Next you spray the surface with hairspray and sprinke salt on. Use one of those salt grinders if you have one as they are adjustable for the size of grain.

Let the hairspray dry and then airbrush on the top coat.

When that is properly dry, wet the surface - the salt will dissolve and then you can wash it off.

Thanks for the reply Ruston, I will give it a try, always open to new weathering techniques!

Martyn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

June 1965

Straight off the low-loader from Kilnhurst, this Thomas Hill Vanguard, a diesel rebuild of a Sentinel BE, was immediately put to work.

Thomas-Hill-Vanguard2.jpg.194c748895ef09d394b874c2a5640580.jpg

Built from the RT Models kit but modified internally to take a 99p motor from China as I am keeping the supplied, and much narrower, Mashima for a future scratchbuild, where there is less space available.

Thomas-Hill-Vanguard1.jpg.d38f0ce98c966ef766e03cac469f9efc.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I'd not heard of these before, so it started life as a vertical boilered steam loco? How do you find the performance from the cheap motor?

In the 80's at Watley ARC in Somerset , there were three of these beasts. Direct replacements for Sentinel steam locos.

The sight of two of these locomotives wrestling with a loaded train of modern 4 wheel hoppers was marvellous!

I really must get myself a scanner, then I can put my photos here!

Chris.

• Like 2

I'd not heard of these before, so it started life as a vertical boilered steam loco? How do you find the performance from the cheap motor?

That's about it. Thomas Hill were Sentinel agents and had their own works, with a mainline connection, into the 1980s and they not only rebuilt Sentinel steam locos but built complete new locomotives too. As far as I know, those in the works number series with the letter V on the end are Sentinel rebuilds and those with C are new builds. The first one of these little rebuilds I ever saw was in Booth's scrapyard, in Rotherham, and I've always wanted to model one since then. Years ago I measured up one of the two that are at the Foxfield with the idea of scratchbuilding one in 7mm but I never got around to it.

The little Mitsumi motors are good and this will be the fourth loco I have fitted with one. They start at very low voltage and can run very slowly and smoothly. The Judith Edge Yorkshire DE2 that I built has one of these, coupled to a 90:1 High Level gearbox and when placed on rollers the loco driving wheels can go round down to just 4rpm. There was someone on this forum who was selling these motors for around £7, and was also saying that they were a limited stock, but ebay is awash with them and the last batch that I bought cost £2.65 for 5, including postage from China.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...

ask our Steve im sure he'd be happy to have you

I already have!  It's earmarked for some date in the future but whether or not this year is uncertain as he has yet to receive replies from other potential exhibitors.

I'll keep pestering him!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, that was an experience...

It was my first time exhibiting any layout and I have to say that it's more tiring than I expected but I suppose having to start early and the clocks going forward didn't help with that. There's no way I could run a layout for 5 1/2 hours on my own; apart from the need for food and toilet breaks I'd be bored stupid, so thanks to Andy Plumtree, Jordan, and the other Andy for taking over at various times, which meant I only did about 3 hours. I like playing trains but, to be honest, an hour or so at a time is about my limit.

My main fear about exhibiting was that some small child would come along and demolish something but they were mostly very well behaved and the parents were very good too. The nearest I came to a disaster was when someone (an adult) from the railway tried to pick up one of the Rustons out of my hand. Not only had I not invited him to pick it up but he was about to grab it by the ends, which would surely have damaged the Dingham couplings.

The model exhibition was only 7 or 8 layouts, and a bit of a sideshow to a railway's family event, so there was virtually no feedback from visitors in terms of talking modelling, or prototype industrial railways. I think if it were a proper model railway exhibition it may have been more interesting to talk to other modellers.

As far as the layout itself, and the locomotives are concerned, it all worked perfectly, so I'm happy about that.

I have been invited to take this layout to an exhibition but it is a 3-day event and I'm not sure I can cope with that. In fact unless I have other operators to take over I'm absolutely sure that I can't operate the layout for up to 16 hours over a weekend, so we will have to see...

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 5

I have been invited to take this layout to an exhibition but it is a 3-day event and I'm not sure I can cope with that. In fact unless I have other operators to take over I'm absolutely sure that I can't operate the layout for up to 16 hours over a weekend, so we will have to see...

I'm sure we can easily sort out some relief operators Dave.  Plenty of people willing to sit behind a layout for an hour at a time.  Gets them out of 'stewarding' and sitting in the tea room.  Once we've got a team together a rota can be worked out.  Would 2 operators at a time be preferable or is it overkill?

I'm sure we can easily sort out some relief operators Dave.  Plenty of people willing to sit behind a layout for an hour at a time.  Gets them out of 'stewarding' and sitting in the tea room.  Once we've got a team together a rota can be worked out.  Would 2 operators at a time be preferable or is it overkill?

It needs only one operator, Paul. One can cope easily as it's one engine in steam but 3 or four to rotate would be good.

Things that need improvment for exhibition use:

1) Isolating sections need to be put in so that one loco can actually sit in the shed, and a section at the tar plant end of the loop to isolate a loco so that the working engines can be swapped around on scene.

2) The stone bunker needs to be redesigned so that it will hold more than just 7 or 8 wagon's worth. Even running reduced rakes of 3 or 4 wagons it was soon emptied and had to be topped up by opening the lid. For exhibition use it needs to have more overall capacity and the ability to be filled by a chute behind the backscene.

3) The improvised (coils from old point motors) electro-magnet uncouplers were not reliable, whereas the proper ones were. They improvised ones also draw a lot more current and make moving the loco difficult and when the magnet button is released, the loco then shoots off. Either the improvised magnets need to be replaced with proper ones, or the magnets need their own power supply.

• 2 weeks later...

post-17261-0-76917700-1523270133_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-75569500-1523270205_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-14161700-1523270039_thumb.jpg

Please find attached a selection of shots taken by me in the early 1970s at the Wirksworth quarry.

I apologise about the quality, but these are photos of photos. I haven't got a scanner yet.

The diesel came from Ind Coop in Burton on Trent and is, I think a Bagnall or Baugley. The Motorail worked a branch heading to the left of the panoramic shot.

This, I think shows how you have perfectly captured the atmosphere of this place.

You are the master.

Chris.

• Like 12

Just found this thread and WOW! What a superb layout. The subtle colouring is terrific.

Used to live in that part of the world and you've really captured the atmosphere to a "T". I think the open outlook above the cutting surrounds captures this part of Derbyshire brilliantly.