White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam

• RMweb Premium

It needs only one operator, Paul. One can cope easily as it's one engine in steam but 3 or four to rotate would be good.

Things that need improvment for exhibition use:

1) Isolating sections need to be put in so that one loco can actually sit in the shed, and a section at the tar plant end of the loop to isolate a loco so that the working engines can be swapped around on scene.

2) The stone bunker needs to be redesigned so that it will hold more than just 7 or 8 wagon's worth. Even running reduced rakes of 3 or 4 wagons it was soon emptied and had to be topped up by opening the lid. For exhibition use it needs to have more overall capacity and the ability to be filled by a chute behind the backscene.

3) The improvised (coils from old point motors) electro-magnet uncouplers were not reliable, whereas the proper ones were. They improvised ones also draw a lot more current and make moving the loco difficult and when the magnet button is released, the loco then shoots off. Either the improvised magnets need to be replaced with proper ones, or the magnets need their own power supply.

The magnets need their own power supply, completely separate from the track power.

The magnets need their own power supply, completely separate from the track power.

I have a plan to sort it, a plan so cunning, you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

But is it as cunning as a fox that has graduated from Oxford with a degree in cunning and has just gone on to Cambridge to take up the professorship in the department of cunning studies?

• Funny 1

The diesel came from Ind Coop in Burton on Trent and is, I think a Bagnall or Baugley. The Motorail worked a branch heading to the left of the panoramic shot.

This, I think shows how you have perfectly captured the atmosphere of this place.

You are the master.

Chris.

Thanks for sharing those pictures, I took a look at AJ Booth's Industrial Diesels and the bigger one appears to be Baguley 3227 of 1951 which was built on the frames of a Hawthorne Leslie 0-4-0 (3632 of 1925). Nice to see colour pics of industrials.

All the best

Nick

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
Guest teacupteacup

Just read through this thread, I'll echo the thoughts of others and say what a superb layout

Possibly the best industrial layout I have seen

Looking forward to more updates

• 2 months later...

Booked for Wakefield Exhibition November 16/17/18 th. Thornes Park.

I have been preparing the layout for the exhibition. Thanks to 5050 I have some baseboard frames that I have turned into supporting legs for the layout and these are now fitted.

The electrics have been changed so that the uncouplers now work from their own power supply, namely a rechargable sealed gel battery that is made for use in radio control boats. It is 12v DC, so there is no messing about with rectifiers or dropping the voltage down. It's large enough to power the uncouplers through all three days of the exhibition.

The stone loading bunker is undergoing an internal rebuild to increase capacity. It will now hold at least double the amount of stone.

post-494-0-53353200-1539800425.jpg

I am also fitting a pair of microswitches that will be linked to a red and a green LED. These will be set up to look like a signal for instructing the loco driver when loading but in reality it will show the operator when the chute is fully open or fully closed. With the old bunker it wasn't easy to tell if it was open or closed once the bunker was empty, or how far the slide had been moved over either way during loading.

The servo is the item that I was originally going to use when I first built the bunker but then found out that servoes need some fancy electronic control. This one no longer needs that as I gutted the electrics and now it simply has two wires straight to the motor. Another change is the control rod, which was solid and straight before but now has a kind of squared-off Omega loop to add a little 'give' in the mechanism.

post-494-0-19617100-1539801526.jpg

• Like 11

The whole layout on it's legs.

post-494-0-88457500-1540149915.jpg

The crushing/loading plant has now got a tubular.conical extension. Some sort of dust extractor, perhaps? It's really there to charge the loading bunker, which now extends almost all the way to the back, so the roof on the corrugated iron extension will no longer do for filling this. The roof will still be used as it is a useful 3 or 4 wagon loads extra.

post-494-0-33307400-1540150114.jpg

The signal on the bunker. Lit to show the driver to proceed but actually to show the operator that the valve on the bunker is closed. It could probably use a white LED to shine down onto the wagons so the operator can see them better when loading.

post-494-0-75237800-1540150260.jpg

Stone dust washed down the sides of the Manning Wardle's tank where it is filled with water.

post-494-0-24378600-1540150304.jpg

The photo in the previous post includes the high level white lagged tar pipes. These have since been removed and new ground level piped put in. Photo, tomorrow as the camera batteries failed before I could get a shot of that, today.

Everything is now working and ready but I am wondering if I should give the layout its own lighting as exhibition hall lighting isn't always great.

• Like 12

If you can put a lid on your layout with lighting, then you are in a better position to control how the lighting effects the presentation of your work.

Gordon A

Like a Cameo Layout sort of set up?

• Like 1

Been following this thread for a while, and now I can see it in the flesh at Wakefield, we may even be next door to each other(End of the spur)!!

As to lights i'm a big lover of the "shadow box" design, my small OO layout Brewery sidings, works well, as does my two Ho scale layouts.

post-13979-0-41401000-1540224803_thumb.jpg

Ray

• Like 3

the lighting in the gynmnasium is good but its better to have your own especially if we get shorts like last year due to problems with a local substation which put the lights out, i couldnt do anything on my layout but those with lights werent affected

Site visit last week and centre staff assured that problem of last year was not going to occur. However if it is a local sub station then it is out of the control of the centre staff and WRMS

Been following this thread for a while, and now I can see it in the flesh at Wakefield, we may even be next door to each other(End of the spur)!!

As to lights i'm a big lover of the "shadow box" design, my small OO layout Brewery sidings, works well, as does my two Ho scale layouts.

attachicon.gif22467332_539205863085763_3664851754600235809_o.jpg

Ray

Oh God, I hope not! That's really going to show up how shoddy mine is. :O

I thought another truck would be nice to have, so I set about chopping down a 6-wheel flatbed and making a tipper body for it. The truck is a cheap Base Toys thing. I have taken about an inch out of the wheelbase and cut the back end of the chassis down.

The packaging was basic and didn't even say what it is and I have looked through the few books that I have on British lorries but can't find anything to match. Does anyone know what the prototype is?

post-494-0-09904300-1540924565.jpg

post-494-0-94810000-1540924583.jpg

• Like 1

I made a lighting board to fit a couple of strip lights that 5050 kindly gave me and have just finished signwriting it. Hopefully it won't look to bad next to other layouts now.

post-494-0-25056600-1541086050.jpg

The fiddle yard is a bit, er... fiddly. It's a single track and it's a bit tricky because each wagon has to be lifted off to be emptied and replaced. The loco also has to be lifted off the track. If this exhibition goes well and I don't decide "never again!", and if anyone actually wants it for an exhibition in future, of course, I plan to fit duplicate point and uncoupler controls at the rear. I would also make a better fiddle yard and a second fiddle yard at the other end. Wagons would pass through the track that ends at the lorry tarmacadam loading hopper and so tarmacadam and other quarried products could go out by rail, probably in sheeted 16-tonners.

We'll see how it goes first.

The Hornby Sentinel in the picture is for sale if anyone's interested.

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to meet you today Dave. Love your layouts and thanks for taking this one to Wakefield. Nice to see you've shaved the beard and moustache off!

It's taken years off me :jester:

My first proper exhibition over and done with. I'm completely amazed by the amount of people who had nice things to say about the layout and overwhelmed by how many exhibition managers want it for their exhibitions. I haven't committed to any of them yet and I may not even have the layout by the time any of them happen as I've been asked by a couple of people if I want to sell it! I hadn't thought about selling it but everything's for sale if the price is right...

Thanks to Jordan (Narrow gauge Jordan) and to Paul (5050) for helping set up/take down and for playing with the trainset over 3 days. A few things went wrong but it was still all running well after 3 days and we never cleaned the track once, thanks to the secret track maintenance tool. I'd tell you what that is but then I'd have to kill you...

Jordan, playing with the trainset.

post-494-0-07255900-1542572466.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...