A variable BLT

First ever post, struck with the similarity in the track plan to Metcalfe thought I would post this here. The scenic area is a tadge over 5 square feet so hope it qualifies as a micro.

I'm an ex 4mm modeller who moved into the garden with a 7/8th scale set up.

I have always liked shorty layouts and started this as a winter break from the garden last year. The plan is to have removable scenery to change location. The siding jn front of the fiddle yard can be a Devon dairy, a west Wales provender store or a Forest of Dean stone loading point (home location). All these options being 70s setting.

The platform will also be removeable to allow a more urban look with mid 80s stock, possibly switching the goods shed and office building for a parcels platform.

I am a stingy old so and so and a lot of stock and track is recycled from a larger layout mothballed 14 years ago. The eyesight isn't so good now so I work as I do in the garden if it looks ok from 6ft that's good enough. Track is peco 100 and points are finger poke operation (already regretting that) and good old fashioned dc. I also wished I had mirror imaged the track layout given the layouts new home over my work bench.

Progress is gradual but will continue to post pictures as I go although there could be a summer break at the end April.

post-27850-0-53600600-1489922956_thumb.jpg

post-27850-0-80061800-1489923009_thumb.jpg

post-27850-0-06155100-1489923060_thumb.jpg

Carron Road, just looked it up and that must be in my thinking somewhere as I have a clipped article in my keep forever box. The contents also includes some Ian Futers layouts, a cornish branch (9x1) from Model Railway Constructor and a string of cuttings from a Chris leigh modelling mag from the eighties printed on newspaper quality paper, poor pictures but loads of great small ideas.

I have just fenced in the platform with spear railings but undecided on Scots pines or birch beside the pagoda. I am hoping to build the exchangeable scenery items onto identical sized plasticard bases. The theory is fine......

Fencing installed and have a feeling the scots pines have more of a gwr feel although a birch would hide the back board joint. The first scenery base has been built as a concrete base for a dairy. The building was a chance find in the attic from my previous layout, a fraction too long so a raised concrete base allows additional length but another joint/gap to hide. The base is 3mm foam board (same depth as the floor tile baseboard topping) covered with a snug fitting piece of plasticard for the top. Bit more toning down on that concrete I think.

The baseboard is 2 inch insulation board and wiring is quick and easy terminal blocks. The station building has lights so these are an easier option when I get to a second platform module.

post-27850-0-29715700-1490446963_thumb.jpg

post-27850-0-08100000-1490447040_thumb.jpg

post-27850-0-31778300-1490447099_thumb.jpg

post-27850-0-32149800-1490447167_thumb.jpg

The warehouse looks great.

Thanks. The sad thing is that I can't remember exactly where it was my previous layout (dismantled in 2003) and it was a complete surprise when I found it in my box of buildings in the attic. I need to try and "dairyfy" it, canopy and some pipework spring to mind.

Started work on a second module - a provender store. I think the Ratio kit was designed by a sadist. It's very difficult to keep square when building it low relief.

Hi Bazzer,

Lovely stuff and thanks for sharing. It's a really good trackplan and should provide plenty of operational interest. Are you using smaĺl radius points?

Also you mention 'five feet square' but what is the length of the layout?

I love the concept of interchangeable buildings and scenic features to represent different locations. I think it's a marvellous idea and perfect for those with a variety of interests. The simple changing of a station building or warehouse could instantly alter location an/or are, that's before you even need any stock :)

Looking forward to seeing more as the layout progresses and sorry for asking so many questions! Inspiring stuff though :)

Cheers,

David

Started work on a second module - a provender store. I think the Ratio kit was designed by a sadist. It's very difficult to keep square when building it low relief.

Had similar thoughts myself, though also makes it nicely modular, are you going to use both "long" walls to give a double length building as its low relief?

Looks a good project.

Martyn.

Hi, thanks for the kind comments.

The layout is 75"long and 12.5" wide. The main scenic area is 48" long and the head shunt end 6.5" wide. The trackwork is all peco code 100 small radius salvaged from a layout started 20 years ago. Still working on a base for the goods shed and BR hut to allow removal and then replace with a platform, fear the joins won't be as good as Ernie Wise's.

I've treated myself to a 150/1 dmu on the hope of building a more urban platform so I can be mid 80s. Cut the run round headshunt so fine I will need to fit low relief buffer stops to allow a 37 to fit. A modern warehouse, cement or grain remain future module options for that era.

The provender store will be using the all the panels but fear i have dived in too quick and running out of panel joints. If you are going low relief my advice is plan it first! I'm a bit miffed that 2 panels depth is slightly too wide for the space available.

Hi, thanks for the kind comments.

The layout is 75"long and 12.5" wide. The main scenic area is 48" long and the head shunt end 6.5" wide. The trackwork is all peco code 100 small radius salvaged from a layout started 20 years ago. Still working on a base for the goods shed and BR hut to allow removal and then replace with a platform, fear the joins won't be as good as Ernie Wise's.

I've treated myself to a 150/1 dmu on the hope of building a more urban platform so I can be mid 80s. Cut the run round headshunt so fine I will need to fit low relief buffer stops to allow a 37 to fit. A modern warehouse, cement or grain remain future module options for that era.

The provender store will be using the all the panels but fear i have dived in too quick and running out of panel joints. If you are going low relief my advice is plan it first! I'm a bit miffed that 2 panels depth is slightly too wide for the space available.

Hi Bazzer,

Thanks that's great. As I said, I love the concept of multiple eras/locations and am intrigued to see the modern setting with a sprinter :)

Keep us up to date with progress!

David

Hi

Really like what you have done here. The idea of using one layout for  different times and places  was referred to as multi-moding, used by Chris Ellis (and others) in the now defunct Modern Trains International magazine. The idea was that you could use different countries too....French, German whatever.

How many sidings in your hidden yard incidentally?

regards

Paul

Hi Paul,multi-moding it is. Not sure I'm ready to move abroad yet but give Brexit time and Scotrail could be abroad! Perhaps a strathclyde 101 and an 08 tripping in?

Ah the rear, non-existent, sidings. I have a three way point there at present but no sidings yet as I have cleverly homed it above my workbench but now find it would have worked better in a mirror image. I keep thinking about a solution i.e. cassettes or even a switch back siding running along the rear. I sometimes whether I should bite the bullet and rebuild and accept this has been a learning process. I suppose I need to test if a mirror would work or whether I need to move down in height (currently 4' 6") to operate.

If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to contribute.

This might help visualise my problem and confirm I am an untidy blighter! I build garden railway bridges as a retirement sideline and currently this has gone crazy so progrsss is slow but didn't stop me buying a cheap 14xx. Another era! Cheap but complete with inherent running issues I gather afterwards....

post-27850-0-79551800-1491492514_thumb.jpg

Archived