Books On BR Steam & Diesel In Scotland

Hammer

I'm looking at trying to build up some BR steam & green stock, but I'm being slightly hindered by the lack of information online. The obvious thing to do is to turn to the more traditional mediums.

What I'm specifically looking for is one or more books which gives allocation details for the standards and the diesels in Scotland up to 1967. I'm also interested in allocation details for non-BR standard stock in Scotland, but it's not quite so essential. Ideally I'd also like a good few pictures showing the typical condition of locos at the time.

Any recommendations gratefully appreciated.

Hello,

I've used the usual Ian Allen ABCs which are useful although not all (especially reprints) have the shed allocations. For steam I also use "BR Steam Motive Power Depots ScR" by Paul Bolger which gives the steam allocations of each depot in 1950, 1959 and 1965.

Hope this helps

Guest stuartp

Paul Bolger's book is probably the best single volume for shed allocations but it's in shed order and it doesn't cover deisels. For more detail Jim Grindlay's "British Railways Steam Locomotive Allocations 1948-68" gives details of allocations at 1948, 1952, 1955, 1959, 1963 and 1966. The book is ordered by loco number in the same way as the Ian Allens were.

The only downside is you'll need five volumes to cover the whole ScR steam and deisel scene:

Part 3 - Ex-LMS locos

Part 4- Ex-LNER locos

Part 5 - BR Stds

Part 6 - D&E locos

Part 7 - DMUs

They're £12 each blink.gif for a 100pp A5 paperback book blink.gifblink.gif

As for pictures, you might have to ask the library to find some of these [takes deep breath]:

Branches & Byways – South West Scotland and the Borders – Rowbottom, OPC ?

*Steam in Scotland Vol 1 & 2 – D Cross & WJV Anderson, Ian Allan

LM Steam North of the Border – D Cross, Bradford Barton

The Last Decade of Scottish Steam – D Cross, Bradford Barton

*Scottish Mainline Steam, Bradford Barton

*Scottish Branchline Steam, Bradford Barton

*Scottish Steam in the 50s and 60s – D Anderson

Twilight of Scottish Steam, D Hucknall

*Roaming the Scottish Rails – D Cross

*Scottish Railways Then and Now, G Morrison

Past & Present – SW Scotland, Sanders & Hodgins

*Scottish Region Colour Album No 1 – GC O’Hara

*Scottish Urban and Rural Branchlines – GC O’Hara

*Scottish Steam Album, Brian Morrison

*Scottish Steam in Colour – H Ballatyne

*Scottish Steam in Colour Vol 2– CJ Gammell, Ian Allan

On G&SW Lines – D Cross, Ian Allen (colour)

The Heyday of the Scottish Diesels – D Cross, Ian Allan (colour)

*The Last Days of Steam in the Scottish Highlands – D Fereday Glenn West Coast Border Steam, PJ Robinson

Pre-Grouping Trains on British Railways – The LMS Companies – CJ Gammell

Steam Sheds and Their Locomotives – CJ Gammell (covers the whole UK, limited allocation lists, nice colour pics)

*Scottish Branchlines 1955-65 – CJ Gammell

Scottish Railway History – D St.John Thomas

*Scottish Railways in the Landscape – M Welch (colour)

*Deisels on ScR - Bradford Barton

*Deisel Days Scotland, Brian J Dickson

Those are just the ones covering the south-west - others are available.

Stuart's got the author of Branches and Byways wrong, but his name escapes me too at the moment.

In light of the extensive list, it might be of use to narrow your search area? Are you thinking your (IIRC) native NE, or...?

There's a remarkable quantity of images out there on the net for this period, both Fotopic and Flickr, though both take some sifting through modern stuff, buses (esp. the former) and random other things (the latter). Happy hunting.

Ah: Robotham - the author.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I've got a couple of books flagged up for purchase now. I might see if others are available at the National Library (fantastic resource if you live in Edinburgh).

Stuart's got the author of Branches and Byways wrong, but his name escapes me too at the moment.

In light of the extensive list, it might be of use to narrow your search area? Are you thinking your (IIRC) native NE, or...?

There's a remarkable quantity of images out there on the net for this period, both Fotopic and Flickr, though both take some sifting through modern stuff, buses (esp. the former) and random other things (the latter). Happy hunting.

Ah: Robotham - the author.

I was looking for allocations lists for the whole region (knowing how Scottish locos tended to wander about a bit). For more general information and pictures, my interests lie somewhere between Edinburgh, Inverness and Perth.

Guest stuartp

List edited - the ones with asterixs have a significant(ish) content in your areas. Two more for you:

"Two Decades of Scottish Steam" and "Scottish Railways - Two Decades of Transition"

Both by Donald Peddie, published by Strathwood and available in the last two years or so. They're Peddie's father's collection, biased towards Stirling and Perth but Peddie Snr got around a bit. Not only that but he had an eye for the unusual, rolling stock as well as locos (especially in "...Transition"). There are pics of CR pig iron and 'Jubilee' coal wagons in departmental use, all manner of pre-grouping coaching stock lurking in forgotten corners, and a close up of a PP&WJR 4-bolt chair ! Publication was clearly a labour of love and they're superb books.

Archived