Dapol Class 68 Light confusion

DaveClass47

Hi folks.

Got myself a Dapol 68.   Bought a ESU Lokpilot V4 21pin MTU.  One of the ones that's on the recommended list in the Dapol instructions!

I use a Hornby Elite controller.

I am totally confused.   With switch 3 on the PCB board in the 4/6 function decoder setting I can have head lights, both ends white lights, both ends red lights, halo lights at the rear, cab lights on and off....I don't know what the heck I am doing to be honest.

Anyone else had these issues? 

If I use it in DC/2 function mode with switch 3 on the PCB set at the factory setting it works like an loco does, white lights forward, rear lights red.   But no halo lighting.

Its all too complicated lol

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks.

Got myself a Dapol 68.   Bought a ESU Lokpilot V4 21pin MTU.  One of the ones that's on the recommended list in the Dapol instructions!

I am totally confused.   With switch 3 on the PCB board in the 4/6 function decoder setting I can have head lights, both ends white lights, both ends red lights, halo lights at the rear, cab lights on and off....I don't know what the heck I am doing to be honest.

If I use it in DC/2 function mode with switch 3 on the PCB set at the factory setting it works like an loco does, white lights forward, rear lights red.   But no halo lighting.

Dave

I don't think they are issues. The lights are all pretty much independent so you can configure them as you need, different functions operating different lights.

Roy

I don't think they are issues. The lights are all pretty much independent so you can configure them as you need, different functions operating different lights.

Roy

Yeah but how to do it when the decoder instructions are in German!  That's my issue! ;-)

The Gaugemaster Prodigy is not able to control the F2.

Roy

Agree, you will probably have to configure the decoder.

Best thing to do is turn off the lights and walk through F1 to F6 and see what happens.

On mine you turn all off and pressing F3 turns the Halo lights on only.

I will try and scan the page that came with my DCC ready loco.

As I said previously DCC supplies are selling a preset decoder.

Edited by martin_l_jones

Hi folks.

Dave

Hi Dave,

What is it that you want to happen and when ?

Do you just want the lighting to be directional with the ability to operate the halo lights indipandently ?? Or are you wanting something else ??

Hi Dave,

What is it that you want to happen and when ?

Do you just want the lighting to be directional with the ability to operate the halo lights indipandently ?? Or are you wanting something else ??

Hi Anthony,

Ok, I want the Halo lights to work in both directions, but at the moment it only works at the rear (with the red lights on as well at the same end!!).

I have worked out:

F0 Lights on.  

F0 and F1 gives me the number one end white with the trailing end red.  Or if the number 2 end is going forward (by changing direction on my elite controller) it has both ends red lights

F0 and F2 gives me the number two end white with the trailing number one end red.   Or if the number 1 end is going forward (by changing direction on my elite) both ends are white lights.

So toggling between F0 and F1 or F0 and F2 gives me an array of possibilities.   Which I think is correct?!

However.....the Halos!    If I press F6 function key the halos come on at the number 2 end, but only at the trailing end with the red lights.   Should that happen?    What are the halo lights for?    But this is where it gets even more confusing.....if I switch direction or try anything else the halos will not work in any manner at the number 1 end.

Confused?   I am! lol

Part of my wants just to use the loco as a two function loco, with white lights going forward, red lights at the back.  The cab light comes on in the direction of travel.

To answer your question...I want the halo lights to operate independently in either direction. ;-)

Dave

Edited by DaveClass47

Hi Dave, mine is setup with directional head and tail lights and indipandently operated Halo lights, i am away at work untill friday but will check my switch configuration when i get home as i am using the ESU LokPilot V4.1 54615 chip and it just worked out of the box, the Halo lights worked on F5.

Edited by Anthony566

Dave, I've chipped two class 68's using Lokpilot 53614's. Both worked straight away but I did change two CV's to give full independent lighting on all the lights. I changed CV34 to 1 and CV41 to 2. Then this gave me -

FO Front main lights

F1 Rear main lights

F2 Rear tail lights

F5 Front Halo lights

F6 Rear Halo lights

F7 Front tail lights.

I left F3 as shunting mode and F4 as Acc/Dec Off.

Hope that helps. I haven't a problem with any of the three cl68's I've done, so there's nothing wrong with the wiring. Tony.

Edited by Tony Walker

Hi Dave, mine is setup with directional head and tail lights and indipandently operated Halo lights, i am away at work untill friday but will check my switch configuration when i get home as i am using the ESU LokPilot V4.1 54615 chip and it just worked out of the box, the Halo lights worked on F5.

On the proto is the objective of the Halo lights only to come on forward whilst the loco is stationary, without headlight ?

• 2 years later...
On 20/03/2017 at 19:26, martin_l_jones said:

The Gaugemaster Prodigy is not able to control the F2.

Hi all,

Im running the Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance 2 (DCC02) controller & I’ve just installed a LokPilot V4.0 (54615) into the Dapol Class 68 TPE.

I went for this decoder as I’m fairly new to this and it seemed to be the easiest out of the box decoder to run the halo lights.  As others have discussed above, all seems to be working as expected, with the halo lights operating fine on Functions 5 & 6. But, I am having issues with Function 2 operating the tails lights on the number 2 end. I have to hold Function 2 down to get the tail lights to stay on.  I’ve read a few other threads suggesting its a gaugemaster issue and the only solution appears to be to remap Function 2 to another Function on the decoder. Has anybody done this or found another solution to get the tail lights to stay on using a gaugemaster and lokpilot v4 combination?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated as I would like the loco to be able to sit static with the tail lights on both ends whilst in depot awaiting the mk5 arrival from accurascale.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Prodigy controllers are rebranded MRC controllers and as per standard US practice F2 is set to momentary so it can't be toggled.

The only option is to remap the function to another button.

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

Sorry to reopen an old thread but my work tonight may be useful to somebody.

I have a 68 with a Lokpilot V4 in it. The best I could get with the default mappings for "independent lighting" was directional at end one using F0, and then manually controlling end 2 using F1 and F2.

I have remapped the controller to have the following:

Directional headlights

Directional halos

Parking lights (red) (doesn't work with either of above active)

Parking lights (halos) (doesn't work with any of the above active)

End 1 switch off (overrules all the above)

End 2 switch off (likewise)

I aren't sure how prototypical this behaviour is, but if it's helpful I'll write the figures up nicely and put them on here. I may be doing the same thing in a few days with a factory sound one.

I found this thread whilst trying to find some mappings for the V4 but sat down and worked it out with a pencil.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1