Dapol Product Catalogues

classy52

Hi,

Is Dapol still bothering with releasing up to date model rail catalogues for their range of products?

The last Dapol catalogue I have is 2014/15 and we're now well into 2017 and still not seen anything from them for a while, just curious to know if Dapol have ditched releasing a product catalogue or not?

Cheers

Steve

Do you think a catalogue would work with their new style of announcing? I heard that they'll only be announcing products when they're about to be released. I don't think a catalogue works in that sense...what's your thoughts?

Yep have to agree, good point which didn't cross my mind.

One thing I have to say I do struggle to get my head around Dapol's current rolling stock (mainly coaches & wagons) and what was made or is available apart from scanning the model rail online shops it would be nice to have an up to date catalogue detailing what has been released with product numbers to be used as a source of reference before I start web surfing...no different to what I do with the Hornby & Bachmann catalogues thus why should Dapol be any different???

Basically I'm not just talking about locomotives but all the products Dapol sell and not releasing up to date catalogues just makes it harder to know what is on their books unless I go back to their catalogue from 2 years ago which obviously is now out of date, yes catalogues are convenient and like I said it works for Hornby & Bachmann thus why shouldn't it work for Dapol.

They did produce catalogues up to that date so I am not sure why they aren't bothering now. To start with they produced small free ones which came regularly and to my knowledge have just done two of the larger ones. Also as members of the club I'm sure we are promised a catalogue each year.

• Like 1

They did produce catalogues up to that date so I am not sure why they aren't bothering now. To start with they produced small free ones which came regularly and to my knowledge have just done two of the larger ones. Also as members of the club I'm sure we are promised a catalogue each year.

Yes you are spot on, 2012/13 & 2014/15 were full sized catalogues but nothing since then.

I was a Dapol member until Feb this year but decided not to renew for a number of reasons such as no new catalogue, 15% online shop discount really gets you nothing due to poor online selections and the Club Model that never materialises in 00...I think it was supposed to be a Class 59???

Here's a bit of stretching the truth from their website... "A new members pack will include your collectors club magazine binder (have never received one), the latest issue of the club magazine, a collectable Dapol branded gift (have never received one), a complimentary copy of the latest catalogue (not received one for 2 years). You will receive a quarterly magazine and news of club exclusive club offers throughout the year. All this for an annual payment of just £25."

​I have also not renewed my Hornby membership due to poor value and both don't come anywhere near Bachmann for membership benefits which I have always renewed, anyway digressing thus apologise.

Edited by classy52

Yes the Bachmann club which I joined at The N Gauge show in Leamington last year is fantastic. The magazine is huge and as good as a normal modelling mag. Every year I join the Dapol club solely for the open day and yearly club models.

Yep have to agree, good point which didn't cross my mind.

One thing I have to say I do struggle to get my head around Dapol's current rolling stock (mainly coaches & wagons) and what was made or is available apart from scanning the model rail online shops it would be nice to have an up to date catalogue detailing what has been released with product numbers to be used as a source of reference before I start web surfing...no different to what I do with the Hornby & Bachmann catalogues thus why should Dapol be any different???

Basically I'm not just talking about locomotives but all the products Dapol sell and not releasing up to date catalogues just makes it harder to know what is on their books unless I go back to their catalogue from 2 years ago which obviously is now out of date, yes catalogues are convenient and like I said it works for Hornby & Bachmann thus why shouldn't it work for Dapol.

It's worth possibly getting in contact with Neil or Joel via facebook or the digest and having a word with them. I know a full fledged catalogue isn't viable or sensible with their new style of announcing things, but possible a bi-annual or tri-annual booklet might be good?

It's better to have a word with them, on RMweb you'll get nothing but pointless bashing towards Dapol now (that's for a company trying to upfront and honest atleast). Dapol's now walking in Hornby's path.

It's worth possibly getting in contact with Neil or Joel via facebook or the digest and having a word with them. I know a full fledged catalogue isn't viable or sensible with their new style of announcing things, but possible a bi-annual or tri-annual booklet might be good?

It's better to have a word with them, on RMweb you'll get nothing but pointless bashing towards Dapol now (that's for a company trying to upfront and honest atleast). Dapol's now walking in Hornby's path.

MGR don't get me wrong I really do try to support Dapol thru my purchasing of their products, recently 2x Class 68's and not to mention the myriad of intermodal wagons & containers I have from them which for me they do the best in my opinion. I also have the 5 Wagon MRA Side Tipper and currently in the process of building up my IOA's & JNA's from Dapol so yes I do identify with their quality products rather than just Bachmann taking all my money, sorry Hornby but you have regressed further in 2017 as far as modern image is concerned as a result of your Steam fetish.

Yes agreed I will give feedback in the Dapol Digest and probably let them know face to face at the London Festival Alexandra Palace this weekend if they have the time to hear customer's feedback especially around the content of the Dapol Club and catalogue situation.

• Like 1

MGR don't get me wrong I really do try to support Dapol thru my purchasing of their products, recently 2x Class 68's and not to mention the myriad of intermodal wagons & containers I have from them which for me they do the best in my opinion. I also have the 5 Wagon MRA Side Tipper and currently in the process of building up my IOA's & JNA's from Dapol so yes I do identify with their quality products rather than just Bachmann taking all my money, sorry Hornby but you have regressed further in 2017 as far as modern image is concerned as a result of your Steam fetish.

Yes agreed I will give feedback in the Dapol Digest and probably let them know face to face at the London Festival Alexandra Palace this weekend if they have the time to hear customer's feedback especially around the content of the Dapol Club and catalogue situation.

If you make it to Ally Pally please pass on that suggestion to them. Face to face will be much better. Hornby is getting my money now that they announced a Class 87 and a Hitachi Class 800 IEP. Fingers crossed I'll have enough money for both (and no I don't think the Class 800 IEP is over-priced, it's just the way things are going).

• Like 1

If you make it to Ally Pally please pass on that suggestion to them. Face to face will be much better. Hornby is getting my money now that they announced a Class 87 and a Hitachi Class 800 IEP. Fingers crossed I'll have enough money for both (and no I don't think the Class 800 IEP is over-priced, it's just the way things are going).

Yes no problem will do, have my ticket thus defo will be there this weekend.

Yeah I fancy the 800 IEP in GWR but it is expensive plus I'm not really into passenger workings just yet, just freight and charter atm (have the full rake of Northern Belle, Royal Train & WCR). I am actually looking forward to Hornby's Colas 60 & DB 67 but they will be the only 2 loco's I will be buying from them this year, I have a lot of pre-orders for modern Bachmann loco's especially for those special Rep Commissions for the DRS & Colas 47's and the Locomotion Class 66 Evening Star and also now both Rails Class 66's Freightliner Poppy & Maritime One.

Busy year for my wallet.

• Like 1

Bachmann/Farish used to produce a PDF Price List which I always downloaded but it appears that they have ceased offering this as the most recent copy I have is dated 2013.

Perhaps the PDF approach would be a low-cost solution for Dapol if they don't wish to offer a printed version.

Bachmann/Farish used to produce a PDF Price List which I always downloaded but it appears that they have ceased offering this as the most recent copy I have is dated 2013.

Perhaps the PDF approach would be a low-cost solution for Dapol if they don't wish to offer a printed version.

Nice to see people trying to help Dapol run their business for them...

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see people trying to help Dapol run their business for them...

LOL, Dapol can't run their business well. Three weeks ago I ordered an O gauge BR Mineral wagon from them that was still advertised as available on the website. Good delivery, the package arrived 2 days later. On opening it, I found that they had sent me an O gauge 6 wheel "United Dairies" milk tanker. They cant even control their order and despatch department, let alone forecast correctly what and when they are going to produce the next model. Needless to say, I said "Thanks for you mistake" .

My goodness the chap at Ally Pally listened to me about their lack of catalogues, I feel better now...

It only goes to show, that you have to give them (any company a chance) and things will soon get on track. Hornby is another good example of how they listen. Dapol and Hornby will always get my vote for manufacturers who are willing to go the extra mile for a change.

• 1 month later...

It only goes to show, that you have to give them (any company a chance) and things will soon get on track. Hornby is another good example of how they listen. Dapol and Hornby will always get my vote for manufacturers who are willing to go the extra mile for a change.

Well there you go, Dapol have now released an online catalogue on their website which covers all gauges and will be proactively updated when required thus keeping everyone informed of all their products currently available and those coming soon or down the line.

Well done Dapol and a very positive move in the right direction.

• Like 1

For those wondering why Dapol (and others) don't PRINT catalogues as often as we would like them-

We give out an A5 show guide at South Notts Show.  That guide is 16 pages including the cover (four sheets).  The outside of the cover is colour, the rest monochrome.  This year we printed 600.  The cost was £305.  In other words 50p per show guide.

Admittedly there are economies of scale with bigger print runs, but the last Dapol printed catalogue was over 100 pages, A4 and full colour on glossy paper.  How much to print?  £3 a pop? £5?  more?

Add in to that the number that never get issued because people don't pick them up at shows before they go out of date, then add in that to put one of these into an order would add to the postage cost of that order (small parcel to medium parcel in some cases or large letter to small parcel in others) you see how much this will take out of a small business.

Bachmann is bigger, much bigger. they have a correspondingly larger publicity budget.  When you add in the increasing number (particularly amongst the young) not to bother with printed versions of ANYTHING, the reasoning behind having what is effectively an e-catalogue becomes one that is hard to fault.

Les

• Like 1

The online catalogue seem rather pointless. The product range is already on the website so why not put the supplemental catalogue information there, where it's easier to maintain and navigate.

Because it is nice to look at.

(And helps to tempt the wallet....................)