thumbnail-12.jpeg.21e6237646343f1ec2a3ea55b455ee16.jpeg

Scenification going ahead on schedule. Pub, riding stables and some detail to finish on this board.thumbnail-13.jpeg.6b410c626e50380a671019eaf0dfef49.jpeg

The level crossing board is almost done.

thumbnail-28.jpeg.7b535bd01fa250d6ed13c3602b575ca6.jpeg

I'm told, by my lad who does a bit a cricket, that the outfield for the New Holland and Barrow Haven Cricket Club's outfield is shocking - particularly after the Gazelle helicopter has done an autorotation emergency landing on it.

I've started work on some of the displays which will help put the layout into some kind of context.

Below is a representation of the pulling diagram for the ground frame. It may be a bit extravagant for a country ground frame, but I enjoyed doing it.1380248530_HollandBeckPullingDiagram_001.jpeg.81b70761943cca7b4ee2fe2b71ae1527.jpeg

Edited by Moggs Eye
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Moggs Eye said:

I'm told, by my lad who does a bit a cricket, that the outfield for the New Holland and Barrow Haven Cricket Club's outfield is shocking

And he’s absolutely right!

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Moggs Eye said:

Below is a representation of the pulling diagram for the ground frame. It may be a bit extravagant for a country ground frame, but I enjoyed doing it.

Nice.  Be extravagant!  Because of the level crossing I’m assuming a permanently manned ground frame so it probably isn’t that extravagant.

May I be ‘picky’ to help you when experts ask questions at exhibitions?

You show an FPL and looking earlier you have one fitted. That will need its own lever. I wanted a shunt disc into the sidings too but there aren’t enough spares - you covered that earlier in the thread: there isn’t one!  I prefer my FPL lever adjacent to its point so I would go for 7 FPL, 8 Signal from siding.

A bigger problem is the orientation of the diagram: it’s upside down for the person working the frame.  (I assume it’s the right way round for the public viewing the layout.)  You could put the operator the other side of the frame and just swap the numbers end to end but my gut feeling is that you have modelled it the right way round.

My suggestion is to leave as is and when told it’s wrong say “I know, I did it like that to make it easier for visitors to understand”.

HTH,

Paul.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Paul,

Thanks for looking at that for me. Mechanical signalling has so many wonderful variations it's always interesting to get an objective view.

You're right, the diagram is the wrong way around as it will be on the operator's side of the layout. I have one for the public side which is correct.

The facing points are worked by an economical system which only has one lever to move the points and lock them.  The lever is half blue and half black - there is a convention about which colour goes at the top of the lever, I think I have it right with blue on the top. I did think about having two levers, it would have made for more interesting rodding runs, but expediency and a lack of scale levers won out.

I'm scratching my head trying to think of some shortish form of words for the viewing side to explain why trains are halting by the level crossing to hand tokens over. With a layout this size, particularly with modern single car DMUs, many people will just walk past without looking, but for those that do take a moment to have a look I want to try and get some of what inspired me to build it.

I've had a word with the groundsman about the outfield. He muttered something about a pay rise and slouched off. Volunteers!

Cheers,

Ben.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

16 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Does look good that . Attention to detail means the DMUS have something good to run on and I like the cricket idea and the gazelle.

will you be getting an Apache ?

Thanks, Rob.

I wanted a Lynx, so the pitch would get a load of engine oil dumped on it when the crew shut down, but I couldn't find a decent kit and I wouldn't have had the room for a bigger cab. The Gazelle barely fits.

Cheers,

Ben.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Moggs Eye said:

Hi Paul,

Thanks for looking at that for me. Mechanical signalling has so many wonderful variations it's always interesting to get an objective view.

You're right, the diagram is the wrong way around as it will be on the operator's side of the layout. I have one for the public side which is correct.

The facing points are worked by an economical system which only has one lever to move the points and lock them.  The lever is half blue and half black - there is a convention about which colour goes at the top of the lever, I think I have it right with blue on the top. I did think about having two levers, it would have made for more interesting rodding runs, but expediency and a lack of scale levers won out.

I'm scratching my head trying to think of some shortish form of words for the viewing side to explain why trains are halting by the level crossing to hand tokens over. With a layout this size, particularly with modern single car DMUs, many people will just walk past without looking, but for those that do take a moment to have a look I want to try and get some of what inspired me to build it.

I've had a word with the groundsman about the outfield. He muttered something about a pay rise and slouched off. Volunteers!

Cheers,

Ben.

Hi Ben,

You’re right about blue at the top - the convention is colour at the top for the first item to move and the FPL has to unlock before the points can move.  

My limited knowledge of economical FPL meant I thought yours was a standard push pull lock. A more detailed look at your rodding photo on page 2 and I see that the inside end has the rod onto the drive lug but at the running line end it only goes into the 4’. An economical lock indeed.

Respect!

Paul.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

IMG_20191011_145705.jpg.0a584705a55ce63467247dfd39c8dcdd.jpg

The layout looking towards Barton. It's almost finished now and ready for its exhibition debut at the Lincoln Post - Modernisation Show next weekend. 

The final electrical testing has been done, there are just a few details to add before I get stuck into wheel cleaning. 

I'm looking forward to operating a relatively small, uncomplicated layout for a change. 

The Lincoln show should be a good one, there will be some fine modelling to admire, even if diesels aren't your thing. Hopefully I'll see a load of there. 

We're in the smaller hall, if you're passing come and say hello. 

Cheers, 

Ben. 

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, Moggs Eye said:

IMG_20191011_145705.jpg.0a584705a55ce63467247dfd39c8dcdd.jpg

The layout looking towards Barton. It's almost finished now and ready for its exhibition debut at the Lincoln Post - Modernisation Show next weekend. 

The final electrical testing has been done, there are just a few details to add before I get stuck into wheel cleaning. 

I'm looking forward to operating a relatively small, uncomplicated layout for a change. 

The Lincoln show should be a good one, there will be some fine modelling to admire, even if diesels aren't your thing. Hopefully I'll see a load of there. 

We're in the smaller hall, if you're passing come and say hello. 

Cheers, 

Ben. 

Sorry to see Treble Three out for the count. I last flew her on 8 Oct 93 and she behaved very well! Nice vignette to add to your layout. The rear blade needs to be moved before residual engine heat melts it.

Enjoying the thread.

aac

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, aac said:

Sorry to see Treble Three out for the count. I last flew her on 8 Oct 93 and she behaved very well! Nice vignette to add to your layout. The rear blade needs to be moved before residual engine heat melts it.

Enjoying the thread.

aac

Hi, 

Thanks for the update re the rotor blade, happily the model's will still rotate so I'll get it moved. 

There will be a Bowser nearby for the exhibition.

October '93? I'd been discharged a month by then and still missing it! 

Cheers, 

Ben

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 12/10/2019 at 09:32, Moggs Eye said:

Hi, 

Thanks for the update re the rotor blade, happily the model's will still rotate so I'll get it moved. 

There will be a Bowser nearby for the exhibition.

October '93? I'd been discharged a month by then and still missing it! 

Cheers, 

Ben

Yes, one blade should be front dead centre.

(I'd been flying for 17 years by '93, left in 2007 and still miss my army-issue e-type - the most lovely piece of kit from which to view this good earth!)

Keep up the good work.

aac

• Like 1

On 14/10/2019 at 17:47, Gordon A said:

The crossing gates look odd. I thought there would have been four gates would have totally closed off access to railway property when open for road traffic and which overlapped on each side when open for rail traffic?

Gordon A

Hi Gordon,

Many level crossings had gates which didn't fully close off the railway when they were one for road traffic. Wisbech North and St Mary's Crossing are examples. Some had gates which opened outwards when the train had passed, for example St James Deeping.

Here at Holland Beck the little used lane crossing a backwater branchline at an oblique angle didn't warrant the expense of providing four gates or the mechanism to operate them. The crossing keeper has to come out and swing them by hand.

Cheers,

Ben.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 14/10/2019 at 17:33, aac said:

Yes, one blade should be front dead centre.

(I'd been flying for 17 years by '93, left in 2007 and still miss my army-issue e-type - the most lovely piece of kit from which to view this good earth!)

Keep up the good work.

aac

I don't remember the blade positioning from my groundcrew course, there is plenty of other stuff I've forgotten but I reckon I could still get a Gazelle up on it's double diablo wheels!

I had some good flights in Gazelles, most memorably from Leeming to Oakington with 657's QHI after an exercise, then in Kenya where I got some stick time and learnt how hard it was to keep one in a stable hover.

There's a Gazelle based somewhere near me in East Lincolnshire - every time I hear that distinctive whistle I want to run out and start up a bowser!

Cheers,

Ben.

Edited by Moggs Eye
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Moggs Eye said:

I don't remember the blade positioning from my groundcrew course, there is plenty of other stuff I've forgotten but I reckon I could still get a Gazelle up on it's double diablo wheels!

I had some good flights in Gazelles, most memorably from Leeming to Oakington with 657's QHI after an exercise then in Kenya where I got some stick time and learnt how hard it was to keep one in a stable hover.

There's a Gazelle based somewhere near me in East Lincolnshire - every time I hear that distinctive whistle I want to run out and start up a bowser!

Cheers,

Ben.

Happy times!

Keep the thread going. Very nice.

aac

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

thumbnail-40.jpeg.3916aa3a8410d7e7905bbdc048f55f3c.jpeg

A quiet moment at Holland Beck, looking along Station Road towards the level crossing with the cricket pavilion to the left and war memorial on the right.

I'm very much looking forward to the exhibition this weekend.

See you there.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Moggs Eye said:

Hi Gordon,

Many level crossings had gates which didn't fully close off the railway when they were one for road traffic. Wisbech North and St Mary's Crossing are examples. Some had gates which opened outwards when the train had passed, for example St James Deeping.

Here at Holland Beck the little used lane crossing a backwater branchline at an oblique angle didn't warrant the expense of providing four gates or the mechanism to operate them. The crossing keeper has to come out and swing them by hand.

Cheers,

Ben.

Thanks for the explanation Ben.

I have never seen gates set up in the way you have modelled in my wanderings, which have been mainly Western Region with a bit in the Midland.

Gordon A

23 hours ago, Gordon A said:

Thanks for the explanation Ben.

I have never seen gates set up in the way you have modelled in my wanderings, which have been mainly Western Region with a bit in the Midland.

Gordon A

One of the joys in exploring railways, even modern ones, is finding the quirks. 

Cheers, 

Ben. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 23:25, Moggs Eye said:

thumbnail-40.jpeg.3916aa3a8410d7e7905bbdc048f55f3c.jpeg

A quiet moment at Holland Beck, looking along Station Road towards the level crossing with the cricket pavilion to the left and war memorial on the right.

I'm very much looking forward to the exhibition this weekend.

See you there.

Another very detailed picture here Ben...

• Thanks 1

I'm happy to report that beyond a few teething problems, no show stoppers, the layout behaved well today. I'll put most of it down to operator error - myself included. 

We had much positive feedback and a couple of exhibition invitations, which is always good for the self esteem! 

IMG_20191019_194320.jpg.348b40e917ff860b2843e0693f0c3d5a.jpg

Here's a 66 awaiting something to do on the headshunt by the old loading dock. 

IMG_20191019_194417.jpg.63d4e2eb4ebafece91bb48fc749e34c7.jpg

An 08 positioning some VGAs while the postie waits for it to clear the level crossing. 

IMG_20191019_151115.jpg.5f29993305875085415596b6e74a6483.jpg

47829 gets on its way back to Immingham after picking up the single line token from the crossing keeper. 

IMG_20191019_101059.jpg.4064dbef35e16865d84aa95024ce8cee.jpg

Another 153 heads towards Barton. 

IMG_20191019_194215.jpg.1db438c6c9d37a9ce1846030d39e90e1.jpg

60007 trundles into the exchange sidings past the PWay team who are more interested in the Gazelle helicopter. 

Edited by Moggs Eye
  • Like 3

A few more pictures from the Lincoln exhibition. 

IMG_20191020_183216.jpg.819c0efbc6c5fb715c13d1beddd0723a.jpg

The last train of the day gets away from Holland Beck on its way back to Lincoln. 

IMG_20191020_183629.jpg.819b558700d1402e7978396e13e18722.jpg

Humber Logistics Services Locomotive no. 2 awaiting its next duty at the end of the headhunt. 

IMG_20191020_183552.jpg.ffb8e2ba13c4da5124a0c7be40f20424.jpg

Near the end of its trip working from Immingham, 47744 pauses while its crew give up the single line token.

• Like 4