Runaways when restarting ECoS controller with DCC Concepts Decoder

I have recently bought a new ECoS 50210 Controller and I’m progressively setting up a series of new loco’s on a new layout using a combination of DCC Concepts Zen decoders and Howes decoders for those with sound.

I’ve noticed that after the controller had been stopped due to a short or because I’ve hit the button when I restart it the loco’s with the Zen decoders runaway uncontrollably.  The Howes loco’s are fine.  This is a little destructive, especially as they head off at full tilt!

Any ideas?

• RMweb Gold

I have recently bought a new ECoS 50210 Controller and I’m progressively setting up a series of new loco’s on a new layout using a combination of DCC Concepts Zen decoders and Howes decoders for those with sound.

I’ve noticed that after the controller had been stopped due to a short or because I’ve hit the button when I restart it the loco’s with the Zen decoders runaway uncontrollably.  The Howes loco’s are fine.  This is a little destructive, especially as they head off at full tilt!

Any ideas?

The usual suggestion for odd runaways is to turn off DC compatibility in cv29

I'd hazard a guess that the DCC Concepts decoders don't like the RailCom signals from the ECoS. 

But, the RailCom stuff is really handy when you first put a (well developed by sound provider) ESU sound decoder on the track, as the ECoS will automatically setup all the function keys, etc.. using RailCom.   

So, try turning off RailCom on the ECoS and see if the problem is resolved.  

As an alternative approach, see if the DCC Concepts decoders have DC (analogue) running enabled, and turn that off.  Its part of CV29.   Run-aways are often associated with leaving DC running enabled. 

- Nigel

Also make sure that you have configured your ECoS to use DCC only by turning off the other digital protocols, MM, Selectrix and mfx/M4. Having the non-DCC digital protocols turned on is often a cause of problems with decoders not designed to work in multiprotocol setups. See section 21.5.3 of the March 2011 edition of the ECoS manual, this is the most recent english language version, but the vast majority of it applies to your new ECoS 2.1..

I'd hazard a guess that the DCC Concepts decoders don't like the RailCom signals from the ECoS. 

But, the RailCom stuff is really handy when you first put a (well developed by sound provider) ESU sound decoder on the track, as the ECoS will automatically setup all the function keys, etc.. using RailCom.   

So, try turning off RailCom on the ECoS and see if the problem is resolved.  

As an alternative approach, see if the DCC Concepts decoders have DC (analogue) running enabled, and turn that off.  Its part of CV29.   Run-aways are often associated with leaving DC running enabled. 

- Nigel

Nigel, thanks for this.  Disabling RailCom has indeed fixed the problems.  I suspect disabling DC will also be a good way to go although this looked a little more complex so I took the easier route (I'm new to all of this DCC lark)  Thanks Tony for taking the time to confirm this also.  Have to say certainly less exciting now without 3 loco's screeching off in random directions when I press start! 

• 2 weeks later...

- Nigel

This might explain a problem I've had with two separate NCE D13SRJs in separate locos. After doing a factory re-set and re-addressing the units (a 1975 Lionel H0 U18B anda Blue Box Athearn) both ran away when put on the main line, even after hittingthe big red button on the handset (a Gaugemaster Prodigy).

Archived