16 mil efforts in the USA

• RMweb Gold

Great work. Sorry to see the ground level go. I have to admit that working on a ground level line does have its downsides, but I've always stayed well clear of the elevated route as I was never sure you could make it look as good. I can see that this isn't going to be a problem here!

I think with proper work and using the "planters box" style bench work, the garden theme can be maintainted.  I do plan to plant hedges around the bottom of the table, and put my stone fountain there as well.  This will help intergrate the whole set up into the garden.  And I will say that running manualy control live steam is much more relaxing when one can just sit on the deck and control the throttle with ease.   One of the not so good conditions I get with my autism is poor body/space judgement, so I spent a few times on my hind end or falling onto my knees while trying to squat, or tying to reach over to slow down a model, I would get my whole hand run into by the engine as I misjudged the distance when I reached for it.  So the raised set  up, while smaller, is much more relaxing and stress free for me to operate.  And the dog cannot get to it!.   That being said, does anybody know of a weather proof, small, castle that I could use on the railway.  I would like to put it on top of the mountain/tunnel I am thinking of.    Mike

• Like 2

You could scratch build one from plasticard or foam board Mike, and if you see a "He Man" castle in a secondhand store I've seen a good looking model made from one of those.

Of course, there's always the Pola "Castle Ruins" in their G scale range.......

post-31575-0-71568900-1493480382_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have 3 different engines to pull the train, a live steam Accucraft Ruby#5, an LGB 2-4-0 starter set engine and the original engine, a Kalamazoo 4-4-0. The train is made up of 3 redecorated Kalamazoo passenger coaches and a caboose.  Here are some pics of the trains.   Mike

First up is the first car I did up for Autism Awareness, which is an LGB 2 axle Euro coach

20161015_191014_zps60igqp9m.jpeg

Gscalemad_zpsjqh18ydm.jpeg

20160126_193502_zpsebiqncze.jpeg

Here is the LGB 2-4-0 autism engine

DSC07675_zpsl4lpld9f.jpg

DSC07673_zpsxrnje1cw.jpg

Here is the Kalamazoo coaches

DSC07654_zpsavumnelg.jpg

DSC07651_zpssfzs5xt4.jpg

DSC07652_zpsorjcxyfm.jpg

DSC07652_zpsorjcxyfm.jpg

Here is the live steam locomotive

DSC07702_zps4bara3nz.jpg

Here is my pair of Lionel diesels

20170509_204748_zpsoduxbx1z.jpeg

Here is my custom 1968 Wheelhorse garden tractor

DSC07687_zpsstftcsbg.jpg

And finally my Team Associated RC10

DSC07549_zpspuk2snu0.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a short video of my Ruby #5 steamer running last night.  She is decorated for Autism Awareness and is up for trade. I am looking for one of Roundhouses battery powered diesels or one of thier classic series chassis kits.    Mike

More progress pics, covered the peat with cyprus mulch and salvaged ballest from the old ground level line.  The outer loop is almost fully ballested.  I am going to add two potted dwarf alberta spruce trees around the rock waterfall fountain in the middle, then backfill that area with just mulch.  This will allow easy removal of the fountain for winter storage as temps here can get 20-50 below 0'F with the wind chill, with actual air temp at 0'F or even below that a few degrees.  Line is taking on an Austrian feel over UK at the moment, would be a good home for a RH Billy that I can paint similar to a LGB Stainz with red frames and green cab.  Bertie looks ok with my fieldbahn cars, but not with the standard meter gauge cars, looks a bit dwarfed by them.    Mike

20170521_190348_zps7utn7gds.jpeg

20170521_190408_zpsa0pixlqg.jpeg

• Like 3