Bent slide bar on Farish 3mt

Hi,

First, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't quite sure where it should go.

I recently lent my Farish 3mt to a friend and it has become damaged.  Specifically the lower slide bar on one side has bent inwards so that it is jamming the outside motion.  I've tried fixing it with some tweezers but can't access it well enough to grip it properly.  I can think of two potential solutions:

1) Snip the slidebar with some clippers/track sheers.  This would definitely work but would permanently damage the loco

2) Disassemble the motion as per the instructions to get better access.  This would damage the loco but has the risk of me not being able to put the loco back together again.

I've attached a picture of the loco to give a better idea of what the problem is.  Has anyone had this issue with this loco before?  Is there a better solution than my two ideas?  Does anyone have any idea how difficult it would be to reassemble if I do take it apart?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

post-26281-0-11143500-1490213103_thumb.jpg

It is not just moving the slide bar out of the way of the coupling rods but getting it straight enough to let the crosshead run smoothly on it.   

Snipping the slide bar will just ruin the model as the crosshead will drop and you will as a minimum need new valve gear which may well not be available..

I would suggest getting some different tweezers or long nosed pliers so you can grip it.

Possibly if you can't do the job there may be someone at your local club or model shop who can help.

I'd assumed that pliers wouldn't be able to get in since they are bigger than the tweezers, but thought I'd give it a go since you suggested it. Turns out it was exactly what was needed! The bar is still kinked but since it seems to be cosmetic (the crosshead is attached to the upper slide bar but not the lower one) it should be ok now I've got it out of the way of the coupling rods. Need to try running it tomorrow but I'm feeling hopeful.

Thanks for the idea!

Tim

Turned out to be more complicated than I thought.  The slide bar isn't cosmetic, it just looked that way because the crosshead had slipped off both top and bottom slide bars and fallen behind them.  The right angle joint between the union link and the combination lever had also managed to invert itself somehow.  Anyway with all that straightened out it runs again.  Wobbles from side to side a tiny bit and there's a slight rubbing sound when the crosshead reaches the bent part but I think that's inevitable, the main thing is that it runs forwards and backwards at it's slowest setting without any sticking points.

Thanks again for the advice,

Tim

• RMweb Premium

Turned out to be more complicated than I thought.  The slide bar isn't cosmetic, it just looked that way because the crosshead had slipped off both top and bottom slide bars and fallen behind them.  The right angle joint between the union link and the combination lever had also managed to invert itself somehow.  Anyway with all that straightened out it runs again.  Wobbles from side to side a tiny bit and there's a slight rubbing sound when the crosshead reaches the bent part but I think that's inevitable, the main thing is that it runs forwards and backwards at it's slowest setting without any sticking points.

Thanks again for the advice,

Tim

i would suggest replacing it with a strip of nickel steel as I recall farish motion is quite simple and "plugs" into the cylinder, measure the good side and order a piece of strip accordingly

ease the bent strip put and replace with a new one 

your friend must have picked it up by the wheels in a  very clumsy manor 

Nick

Archived