BRM April ' 17

SteveCole

• Administrators
Hi all,

Our office copies of BRM April have just arrived and to say we're happy with it would be an understatement! It's a cracking issue (& DVD) full of great layouts, achievable modelling products and the latest news and in-depth reviews! This month's FREE DVD allows you to watch us build a shed diorama, see The Summit layout in action and we test a new wireless control system!

The April issue goes on-sale as a Digital Edition on Friday, March 24 and in shops on Thursday, March 30! We'll also be selling copies at The London Festival of Railway Modelling at Alexandra Palace over the weekend of March 25 & 26.

Enjoy this month's magazine.

Steve

post-14186-0-67553100-1490265114_thumb.jpg

ON YOUR FREE DVD

• THE SUMMIT - Watch one of Britain's largest exhibition layouts in action
  • Hornby EXCLUSIVE - We interview research guru Paul Isles
  • SHED DIORAMA - We show you how to build it!
  • WIRELESS CONTROL SYSTEM - Revealed!

LAYOUTS

• BUNTINGFORD (OO) - It has been eight years in the making, but Graham Oxborrow's layout is a hugely impressive debut.
  • CAVERSWALL JUNCTION (N) - Full-time tram driver and keen modeller, Carl Rutherford, found inspiration in contemporary railways for this spectacular layout. 
  • VINTNERS YARD (EM) - Sometimes, knowing when to stop is an art in itself, as modeller Eric Gates explains.
  • GRAEMESTON QUAY (OO) - Falkirk Model Railway Club has created a colourful scene as a tribute to one of its younger members.

PRACTICAL BRM

• MAKE IT GRUBBY - Award-winning theatrical designer Giles Favell shows how to achieve impressive weathering results on any model, whether static or in motion on your layout.
  • A KIT-BASHING ADVENTURE - Plastic kits are a great starting point, but scratch building isn't as scary as you might think, says Phil Parker.
  • MADE FOR DAGENHAM - Simon Bolton built a model of one of Britain’s oldest and rarest diesel electric locomotives for Luton Model Railway Club’s ‘Central Works’ layout.  
  • BUILD A WICKHAM TROLLEY - This diminutive people-carrier can add character to your layout, and is a finishing touch to last month's Wickham shed diorama.
  • ADAPT LIKE A PRO - John Cockcroft shares how detail changes and a repaint can alter the guise of any RTR model, as he transforms a Dapol 'Terrier' into an Isle of Wight stalwart.
  • DESIGN AND BUILD A WATER TOWER - Andy York reaches for a 21st Century solution when he builds a complex wartime water tower.

NEWS & REVIEWS

• TRADE NEWS - Updates from Kernow Model Rail, Tower Models, Dapol and Bachmann, plus an award from a TV Dragon and more.
  • NEW MODELS - Graham Farish applies RTC livery to its Class 24 and Mk Is, Bachmann's 'Thompsons' arrive in Crimson and Cream livery and more.
  • NEW GEAR - Wireless controls, dry stone walls, CCTV cameras and more, in our round-up of useful accessories for your layout.
  • REVIEWS - We appraise Hornby's air-smoothed 'Merchant Navy', Heljan's 1361 Class 0-6-0 + Graham Farish's Hawksworth Autocoach.

• RMweb Gold

This sounds like it could be an enjoyable read.

I'm assuming that Simon Bolton's Diesel electric build is a boxcab - if so, this is likely to be of real interest to me.

I might just have to check this issue out in my local newsagent, next week.

Huw.

"Assemble a Wickham Trolley"

Is that for when you've taken one to bits to put a DCC decoder in, chickened out and can't get it back together again?  :jester:

Looks good, I'll observe my letterbox with anticipation!

Nice, but it looks like the roof of the trolley is going to be a very tight fit with the underside of the roof of the shed at the back.

G.

Its probably an exercise in forced perspective, no doubt there'll be a figure in TT scale doing something around the back of the shed*....

@ Phil:  No more Wickhams?  'snot fair!!!

* Perhaps lighting a ciggy out of the wind, next to the petrol cans.

My copies dropped through the post this morning. Opened it up and straight away noticed in the weathering article that notes had been left in the middle of the text. Last month it was wrong captions on photographs. I'm starting to see a worrying trend in errors. There's loads of great content in the mag but attention to detail is starting to let it down.

My copies dropped through the post this morning. Opened it up and straight away noticed in the weathering article that notes had been left in the middle of the text. Last month it was wrong captions on photographs. I'm starting to see a worrying trend in errors. There's loads of great content in the mag but attention to detail is starting to let it down.

A small error where a bracketed statement [see pics in folder + leave room for captions] was left in after a sub-title? And you're happy to slam a whole magazine's worth of effort for that and try to put off prospective purchasers? No positive comment about the quality of workmanship from Giles shown in that article with all of the useful tips?

• RMweb Gold

That's it. No more Wickhams...

… unless you count that NG one on your blog.

I must admit to quite liking the things - even though I'm not sure I'd ever have call for one.

I'm assuming that Simon Bolton's Diesel electric build is a boxcab - if so, this is likely to be of real interest to me.

Now that I've had chance to check both the magazine and the model loco, I can confirm that it is indeed a boxcab - and very nice it is, too.

The article also looks very interesting - although I think it would have been even better if it had included elevation drawings for the loco, or information on where to find them online.

This minor criticism aside, the magazine looks excellent - and I'm looking forward to getting it from my local corner newsagent.

Just for information, I managed to have a quick chat with the new editor at the end of the Ally Pally show. He's quite open about his background - and seems very ready to learn. Ultimately he strikes me as somebody we can all do business with - and I'm looking forward to future developments with BRM and other Warner's magazines.

Regards,

Huw.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Remember, this issue goes on-sale in UK shops tomorrow. If you'd prefer to go Digital, click here.

post-14186-0-62905500-1490798703.jpg

And, we have a limited number of free locomotives left-over from the weekend's exhibition. Click here if you want to subscribe and receive a free loco. Be quick though, we have around 20 left!

post-14186-0-49162800-1490798736.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The review of the Graham Farish Royal Mail red BG van describes it as a Courier (spelt wrong!) van.  I though the Courier Vans (which did indeed wear the same livery) were the ex Mk1 BSK's converted with a roller shutter door and two other compartments blanked off?

Just a quick comment; purchase my BRM April issue on 1/4/17 at my local Sainsbury. When I got to the checkout nearly stop my purchase as front cover states the following ' Display Until March 30 2017 £4.75' hope sales will be OK for this issue or was an April fool.

• RMweb Gold

I'd also wondered about that "30th March" malarkey - it made me do a double take, when I picked up my copy at my local newsagent.

Saying that, it also reminded me that I'm due for an eye test.

I can just imagine some of my relatives telling me where I should have gone first - that's right - Wetherspoons - so at least I'd have an excuse for seeing double.

Seriously though, having already inspected a sample last week at "Ally Pally", I knew that this month's content is a lot better than the cover labelling.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

• Administrators

We have a young lady (Georgia) working with our video production team on a 1-week work placement. So, we asked her to put together a 1-minute preview to the BRM April DVD. She's done a cracking job! We hope you enjoy.

Steve

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That's no good!

Where's the demo on soldering up working OHLE - or HO tram points - or DIY gear meshing - or any other personal "hobby horse"?

Joking aside, she's done a good job there - and I'm sure she will have learnt a lot during the placement.

In a similar vein to my comments about somebody else who did a placement with Warners, I hope she maintains contact afterwards.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Quick question ref the digital edition, having taken up the subs offer above am very pleased only thing is how do yours get to the extras when playing the DVD online? I am watching via an iPad and can't seem to find a way to do this, thanks for any help.