Charwelton - 'into the 80's'

43110andyb

Will be interesting to see this in an 80s guise, assuming its not a cycle way!! A excellent layout for watching the trains go by..

Or even this.........

http://www.emcouncils.gov.uk/write/Catesby-Railway-Tunnel-Rob-Lewis-and-Ian-Bramble.pdf

Having walked up this stretch of line and a fair way into Catesby tunnel really looking forward to seeing more of this layout.

Cheers

Marcus

An interesting project - I wish you well. 

Don't forget that by the '80s, all the main running lines would have been flat-bottom rail had the GC survived. There's a fair bit of bullhead in place, because that's how it was on the real thing when we at Wolverhampton MRC modelled it in period. And, I laid and ballasted all the scenic-side track. 

Hey Tony- good to hear from you! I think the general consensus is we don't want to disturb the rail! I think we can live with the superb track work as is! We want however to give the layout an 80's feel with the scenics! More overgrown, more run down! Then with DCC sound and prototypical stock formations, we can hopefully bring new life to a wonderful watching the trains go by layout! You'll have to come and guest operate!

Be careful with the overgrowth - Yes, by the 80s there was more undergrowth, trees etc, but BR hadn't completley resigned responsibility for anything beyond the cess the way that Railtrack and Network Rail have done and continue to do.

Compare this 1985 view of Bourton

http://www.hondawanderer.com/47033_Bourton_1985.htm

with this one from 2015

21359103466_ecf092166f_b.jpgGWML Intermodal by Stephen Dance, on Flickr

The grass is is a bit long and there are a few very small bushes/saplings here and there, but overall it looks pretty much the same as your new layout. The 2015 view shows the jungle that has grown up mainly since the mid 1990s

Edited by D1059
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It's not a photographic impression. It's a hole drilled in the end board at the right orientation for the north end of Catesby Tunnel. 

That's how early photographs were made. Nice result anyway that I don't think I have seen before on a layout.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

Be careful with the overgrowth - Yes, by the 80s there was more undergrowth, trees etc, but BR hadn't completley resigned responsibility for anything beyond the cess the way that Railtrack and Network Rail have done and continue to do.

Compare this 1985 view of Bourton

http://www.hondawanderer.com/47033_Bourton_1985.htm

with this one from 2015

21359103466_ecf092166f_b.jpgGWML Intermodal by Stephen Dance, on Flickr

The grass is is a bit long and there are a few very small bushes/saplings here and there, but overall it looks pretty much the same as your new layout. The 2015 view shows the jungle that has grown up mainly since the mid 1990s

Hi D1059

That's 1 tidy embankment! I was thinking more like this!

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hondawanderer.com%2Fimages%2F47270_Wickwar_Tunnel_1989.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hondawanderer.com%2F47270_Wickwar_Tunnel_1989.htm&docid=k6ZFzPtsmyq3LM&tbnid=3vQ0vDAjEgLJaM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjc9eiwz_zSAhWLKcAKHf5NC6wQMwg-KBkwGQ..i&w=1230&h=836&itg=1&hl=en-gb&client=safari&bih=559&biw=375&q=wickwar%20tunnel&ved=0ahUKEwjc9eiwz_zSAhWLKcAKHf5NC6wQMwg-KBkwGQ&iact=mrc&uact=8#h=836&imgrc=3vQ0vDAjEgLJaM:&vet=10ahUKEwjc9eiwz_zSAhWLKcAKHf5NC6wQMwg-KBkwGQ..i&w=1230

But I agree BR didn't let things go too far! I think in tidying and freshening the embankment we do want to present it slightly differently and give the impression of a railway 25 years on!

Edited by DaveC46026

I will watch this with interest, i did a lot of the grass, bushes, ballesting. It was great to watch the trains run through.

Richard

Hi Richard

It's good to have a few members that worked on the layout get in touch! We want to be sympathetic to the layout whilst bringing into the Diesel era! Hopefully if and when we're on the circuit! ( we have had a few offers already!) you'll make yourself know when your standing in front watching the trains go by!

Edited by DaveC46026

Thanks Dave,

The superb trackwork is down to Tony Geary and Rob Kinsey. I was just the platelayer.

You might be interested in some shots showing the layout as WMRC used to run it.

Charwelton 07 V2 on Bournemouth-York.jpg

Charwelton 13 A3 on Up express.jpg

Charwelton 16 A1 entering tunnel.jpg

Charwelton 22 A22 under bridge.jpg

Charwelton Dec 03 01.jpg

Charwelton Dec 03 02.jpg

Charwelton Dec 03 03.jpg

Charwelton Dec 03 04.jpg

The civil engineering/architecture in these shots is the work of Norman Turner, Richard Turner and Malcolm Nevitt.

I built most of the locos and most of the rolling stock in these pictures. Dave Lewis built the SR set and Rob Kinsey built the J11.

I hope you derive as much pleasure from Charwelton as we did. Working in a group (with some very-talented all-round modellers in it) is a great privilege.

A 'guest' operator with DCC and diesels? That would be (almost) a first. I once mucked up the operation on Black Country Blues!

Regards,

Tony.

Many thanks for those Tony! I've seen most before but some mustn't have got published! I assume they're you're handy work! We would like at some point to do a then and now type shoot and recreate the shot angles with the new scenics and stock! Edited by DaveC46026

Many thanks for those Tony! I've seen most before but some mustn't have got published! I assume they're you're handy work! We would like at some point to do a then and now type shoot and recreate the shot angles with the new scenics and stock!

They are Dave,

There's a disc somewhere with dozens of pictures of Charwelton on. If any of the pictures are of use to you, please let me know. 

• RMweb Gold

First task has been to start and look at DCC conversion using the comprehensive book of plans and a first look at the main panel. Over to our DCC expert Simon with help (or hinderence)from myself.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Hi all,

So as I'm tasked with the conversion to DCC of the layout, with help from Andy, I thought I would say hi.

The planning for the conversion are still in a very early stage with a study of the panels, looms and the great wiring Manuel that the original builders did its hopefully going to be slightly easier than first thought.

A few changes will be made to not only the board wiring but also the panels which as you cansee from the photos are awe ok of art and a real advert for the workmanship that has gone in to this layout.

As and when we make a start we will of course pop a few photos up here for you all to see.

As an aside we have already got an exhibition invite so the electrical department best get a move on.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

First let me offer congratulations to the "syndicate" (as described by the op), on purchasing such a fantastic layout, as I was reading through your posts, I couldn't help but remember an MRJ feature on this layout. What was most striking was seeing a picture, of a seemingly endless rake of oil tankers, most of the pictures in that issue of the magazine were in black and white, and while they were very atmospheric, seeing the colour pictures from this post, really offer a different perspective.

From the size of the layout in the article, I can only imagine the task in front of you, so good luck with your endeavors. Are you planning on adding to, or modifying the layout plan in any way?

Looking forward to following this thread.

Tom D

Hi Richard

It's good to have a few members that worked on the layout get in touch! We want to be sympathetic to the layout whilst bringing into the Diesel era! Hopefully if and when we're on the circuit! ( we have had a few offers already!) you'll make yourself know when your standing in front watching the trains go by!

I will be happy to do so, but it may be a while as I now live across the pond, otherwise I might have given more serious thought to taking on the layout myself.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

First let me offer congratulations to the "syndicate" (as described by the op), on purchasing such a fantastic layout, as I was reading through your posts, I couldn't help but remember an MRJ feature on this layout. What was most striking was seeing a picture, of a seemingly endless rake of oil tankers, most of the pictures in that issue of the magazine were in black and white, and while they were very atmospheric, seeing the colour pictures from this post, really offer a different perspective.

From the size of the layout in the article, I can only imagine the task in front of you, so good luck with your endeavors. Are you planning on adding to, or modifying the layout plan in any way?

Tom D

Hi Tom,

The plan is to leave the track work on the senic of the layout alone.

We may moth ball the quarry siding and part of the yard but that is still something that we need to discuss as we have quite a bit of departmental stock so it may be turned over to PW/S&T.

I have a couple of ideas for the non Senic parts of the track work but that needs to be discussed before anything is made public so to speak.

Thanks

Simon

Tom D

Hi Tom - we've had the layout in our possession about a week and we're looking a possible changes to the track layout as the ironstone quarry would possibly have been spent by the 80's but then somebody came up with a few ideas to keep this branch open! Who knows? The layout has been bought to give big long trains with DCC sound the chance to open up and stretch their legs really but if the opportunity arrises then we're not adverse to a little shunting! The sidings are ear-marked for engineers traffic in some shape or other!

Regards

Dave

• Like 1