Charwelton - 'into the 80's'

43110andyb

post-7508-0-96095200-1540643631_thumb.jpgpost-7508-0-39751300-1540643656_thumb.jpgpost-7508-0-66757100-1540643673_thumb.jpg

Well I thought I would have some fun and create a Newcastle - Poole window destination poster. Only problem is how to get it down to 4mm ;)
attachicon.gifIMG_1100.PNG

Just to share a method I have used for some time, I use screen shots (Ctrl+Print Screen) and the PAINT programme which comes free in the Windows system. 

As an example, your Poole destination board is in the first photo (Quick photos off my mobile, of my computer screen) having been sized in seconds after the image was screen shot, cut from PAINT, and pasted onto a WORD document. The POOLE board is now shown in 3 sizes, the lower one is then dragged into a larger version in a second as seen in the second attachment, simply by left clicking on the image, and then left clicking again to put the cursor on the bottom right hand corner and dragging it to change the size for scaling as you require. 

The third attachment is a series of images pulled off the internet, pasted from PAINT into WORD and doctored in the same way.  

The WORD toolbar offers VIEW. Select that and then go to the toolbar below for GRIDLINES. Tick that and a grid appears behind your image(s). I find 3 squares across and just a bit less than 5 high gives posters, adverts, timetables, etc, that are 9mm wide and 15mm high.  

Dragging the corner dot on any image enlarges or shrinks it, so you can fit it to any location, be it a large hoarding or a small notice board. 

When you have made the image(s) to the size required, print. The gridlines will have disappeared. Cut out the image, lay it on thin plasticard and wet it with liquid poly. It will dry onto the plasticard, then trim that to size. This also gives a matt finish rather than gloss as you see when buying sets of posters printed on photo paper. 

If you want adverts from any particular era, just Google, say, "1960s adverts", or "beer adverts", "soap adverts" etc, and do the routine described. You can add more to the WORD doc over time as something catches your eye. You can also create your own posters or platform notices using appropriate background colours, fonts and pictures in Powerpoint, and capturing the results of that work too.

I just don't buy posterwork these days. You can store all the different images that you capture on one saved document. Just make sure you select what you want to print and paste it/them onto a separate page, otherwise you will print everything stored in the document every time!

aac

• Like 3

What a really interesting project.

I’ve just re-read the whole thread, what I particularly like is the research into the train formation that you are doing to identify which services would of run under the scenario you are playing out. Please keep this coming as you develop the project.

I think you will end up with a unique layout which I look forward to seeing.

Cheers

David

• Like 1

I’ve just re-read the whole thread, what I particularly like is the research into the train formation that you are doing to identify which services would of run under the scenario you are playing out. Please keep this coming as you develop the project.

Cheers

David

Indeed, only wish the reality of the line played out differently..........:-(

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers

David

HI David,

As part of the Charwelton into the 80s team, Thank you for the kind comments and we will be posting up more photos as we work on the project but it will be of the rolling stock side of things than layout based as the majority of the work on the layout has been completed wust point motors to install, the yard to wire up, signals and panels to do before Doncaster next year.

Also as a bit of a tease we are keeping a few things under wraps till then :yes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

HI all,

So as we are getting closer to the big event of the Doncaster show the behind the scencs work is ramping up with lots of little jobs that need finishing off but to give you a feel of what you may see at shows that we will be exhibiting at,

If you do come to a show then please say hi.

Cheers

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

is that camper van within the loading gauge? Could be a trick of the camera but does look too high

Won’t be a problem until it leaves the GC, so OK on the model! :-)

Paul.

is that camper van within the loading gauge? Could be a trick of the camera but does look too high

The thought had crossed my mind but looking at the photo below from Paul Bartletts site if a car was on the top deck of the Cartic then it looks like it would be higher than the roof of the standard height Transit on the flat! Wonder if there is a 'max headroom' measurement in existence for carflats??

post-7305-0-43615400-1547151163.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The thought had crossed my mind but looking at the photo below from Paul Bartletts site if a car was on the top deck of the Cartic then it looks like it would be higher than the roof of the standard height Transit on the flat! Wonder if there is a 'max headroom' measurement in existence for carflats??

attachicon.gifIMG_1206.JPG

There probably won't be a max headroom specifically for cartics/carflats, but they would have to be loaded to be within the loading gauge for the route they were going to be travelling along.

Mike.

More work on stock this weekend with a MK2 4 coach DMU replacement set finished, which will add a much needed and frequently used service during the 80's! Ps There should be a good variety of motive power (any requests) appearing on this one if you see it at the show!

post-7305-0-33439600-1547466162_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Grimleygrid said:

A big thank you to the Charwelton team for allowing us to pose two of our PGAs on their superb layout Charwelton at the Doncaster show yesterday.  Thanks.

IMG_0293.jpg.2e1a5ef3167b044b792d2195e20e23c8.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg.2dd8ffc7690107fd27207933e130b042.jpg

What a stunning layout, great job.

It was a pleasure and thank you for bringing them over and your kind comments.

• Like 1