Charwelton - 'into the 80's'

43110andyb

Just a quick post to say we had a great time at the show over the weekend and thankfully it all went well considering it was our first exhibition. 

Thanks for all the folk who came and chatted and apologies if we missed anyone (concentration levels were maxed out at times as it's not the easiest layout to operate 1st time out).

onward to Derby and a few lessons learned over the weekend that will hopefully further enhance the operation side of things.

The passengers at Charwelton waiting for the next stopping service to Banbury seem oblivious to the Salmon, Walrus, Grampus, Crab & Tunny languishing in the departmental sidings.

IMG_1254.JPG.49b87b6a78c49fda154da49a3e6dd447.JPG

Edited by 43110andyb
Spelling - Tunny
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I think it is fair to say that Charwelton was one of the hits of the weekend, a full line of viewers at the barrier right until the end of Sunday!

Thanks to the team for letting me stick the camera in various spots you won't normally be able to see for a feature in May BRM to tie in with next outing to Derby show.

Feature_14.jpg

Thanks to you Andy for coming and taking the photos and not distroying too much of the layout :mocking_mini:

Looking forward to the article in print.

As Andy has mentioned the next show is Derby and we will have some additions to the stock roster and a few suprises oh and a guest appearance or two

Cheers

Simon

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I think it is fair to say that Charwelton was one of the hits of the weekend, a full line of viewers at the barrier right until the end of Sunday!

Thanks to the team for letting me stick the camera in various spots you won't normally be able to see for a feature in May BRM to tie in with next outing to Derby show.

Feature_14.jpg

That shot is just incredible, definitely one for the 'models that look like the real thing's thread.

I think there's a thunderstorm approaching...

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 2

it was fantastic seeing this in the flesh on Saturday at Doncaster and it was probably the layout I spent the longest admiring.

To be honest, I have never really been a great fan of sound fitted locos but there was something about hearing them on Charwelton that made me want to bring myself into the 21st century with my modelling. I think its the size of the layout that helps as it reminded me of sitting at Holgate Junction, York, when on holiday as a teenager.  The memories of hearing something rumbling round the curve or seeing it in the distance but then having to wait to get the number and then watch a long rake of wagons pass by behind it. The 56 on the MGR really is an impressive site and your model seems to convey the size and power of the real thing very well.

I cant see it on the topic so apologies if I have missed it but I was wondering if you could confirm the overall size of the layout and also how wide the scenic boards are. The station area especially holds quite a few tracks but has both a sense of not being crowded but also not being very wide. Im not sure if this is due to the size of the surrounding room or if it really is the case.

Regards

Mark

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, definate maybe said:

it was fantastic seeing this in the flesh on Saturday at Doncaster and it was probably the layout I spent the longest admiring.

To be honest, I have never really been a great fan of sound fitted locos but there was something about hearing them on Charwelton that made me want to bring myself into the 21st century with my modelling. I think its the size of the layout that helps as it reminded me of sitting at Holgate Junction, York, when on holiday as a teenager.  The memories of hearing something rumbling round the curve or seeing it in the distance but then having to wait to get the number and then watch a long rake of wagons pass by behind it. The 56 on the MGR really is an impressive site and your model seems to convey the size and power of the real thing very well.

I cant see it on the topic so apologies if I have missed it but I was wondering if you could confirm the overall size of the layout and also how wide the scenic boards are. The station area especially holds quite a few tracks but has both a sense of not being crowded but also not being very wide. Im not sure if this is due to the size of the surrounding room or if it really is the case.

Regards

Mark

HI Mark,

Many thanks for your kind words and glad you enjoyed standing lineside and watching the trains passing by. What you have described is what we were aiming for with the overall effect of the layout. 

The layout is 36ft long by 11ft wide and I think the boards are around 3ft wide, never measured them so it may be more or less :scratchhead:

The track plan is the same as the real location and when looking at photos it conveys the same sense of space. If you want to loose a few hours just do a google search for Charwelton Station and it will bring up photos from when the line was open.

Thanks

Simon

PS the MGR rake is growing again :o

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just before we exhibited at Doncaster I had an attempt at a timetable for Up & Dn services, it ended up more as a service guide as operating smoothly to a timetable on its first outing wasn't really practical. Most services have had to be ' what ifs' although the likes of the Portsmouth Harbour - York  are easier to identify.

I have attached the Down line service list and the keen eyed will observe that yes there are a few that I drew a blank that still need destinations!

IMG_1297.PNG

Edited by 43110andyb
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Not too much to report on the layout as it's in storage awaiting Derby with little work required barring a couple of faults with points at one end of the fiddle yard that will need attention in the next few weeks!

Lots of work is ongoing to increase stock levels and enhancing our current stock- today's work involved adding some details to a departmental Brill I finished a few years ago.

a YAA Brill bogie wagon with scrap rails has received some load straps from Scale model scenery as a finishing touch.

IMG_1319.JPG

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

So Charwelton into the 80s has made the cover of the May issue of BRM.

There are some great photos taken by Andy Y in the articel and we even made the DVD as well.

450388276_CharweltonBRMCover.jpg.255ea81f6b7143e2fd4b79fd54e74466.jpg

We are at the Derby exhibtion in May with a few new items of stock to run if you would like to see the layout in the flesh.

For those of you who are on facebook you can find our layout page by searching charwelton into the 80s

Thanks

Simon

• Like 10

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, Mr.S.corn78 said:

So Charwelton into the 80s has made the cover of the May issue of BRM.

Thanks to you all for coming to Doncaster and devoting the time to do the features. Good luck at Derby! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Thanks to you all for coming to Doncaster and devoting the time to do the features. Good luck at Derby! 

Thanks to you Andy for taking the time to come and take the photos early on the Sunday morning and thanks should go to Sam as well for booking the layout after seeing the photo of the back of the van :lol:

We may be under a engineering possession on Sunday at Derby as they have been daft enough to put us next to the bar :drink_mini: :mocking_mini::mocking_mini:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I may have to buy that for Charlwelton.

there seems to be a lack of large BR blue layouts , which is why ones like mostyn and charwelton capture my imagination .

Thanks Rob, thats at least one copy they have sold :D

Glad we have captured your imagination. I think the problem with large BR Blue layouts is the logistics and cost of having them. We have been apporached by a couple of shows recently and when they have seen the estimated expenses they have had to apoligies as their budget wasn't able to cover it.

Logistic wise for us at least its about numbers. We have a core team of 4 and a couple of people who come and help at shows and it takes a bit of organising to make sure everyone is availiable to come and play trains.

Having said that we do have another BR Blue layout which is 16ft long but that still needs a minimum of 3 to operate and needs a van for transport.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

So I brought it digitally to see the layout.

looks great - it’s a shame it doesn’t do more exhibitions and especially “ dahn sarf”.

I spat my tea out, when the cover was a jockanese 37 on the GCR. Sacrilege !

:)

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Just over a week to go until Derby and essential arrangements are being finalised!!!----! Namely we have found the Gurkha restaurant that we last dined at when exhibiting Thorne Yard a few years ago now and surrounding real ale bars!!!

• Like 1

A very interesting and well executed re purposing of a classic layout. Mark Beckett once a director of Chiltern Railways published a history of the GCR in the just supposing premise that the GCR didn't close. https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Great_Central_Reborn.html?id=u2rvjgEACAAJ&source=kp_book_description&redir_esc=y

Edited by banburysaint
Adding website link to book
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I remember this layout in its old guise at several shows and thoroughly enjoyed watching it back then, fortunately I visited the Derby show at the weekend and to my surprise I recognised it  straight away (I never look at pre-show info.)  I only managed about 30 minutes watching the layout at Derby due to my mate booking the wrong train to Crewe! Then today I got a copy of BRM and to my surprise its there again - double pleasure all in the same week! And plenty of time to take it all in. Additionally I was stood next to 'dcc125' at the show and have been viewing his upload on YouTube to see what I missed!

I am now going to read this topic from start to finish over the next week or so and look forward to seeing its progress, well done to all of you for the sympathetic restoration of such an exhibition favourite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2