Charwelton - 'into the 80's'

43110andyb

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

So its been a long time since the last post for various reasons but I thought it was about time we popped an update up.

So we have had a couple of working weekends, which we have had to keep under wraps as we had the pleasure to do some test runs of new items for a manufacter. the following photos will give it away

HQRQ4418.JPG.ff668681bfafe460aa5193c925e41d6e.JPG

Whilst we spent some time playing trains working hard for them, we did mange to get some work done on the layout to reduce the list of jobs ready for the next trip out.

With regards to the next trip out we have been booked to appear at the following shows, well I say booked, its more a case of shows that have been carried over which is understandable.

So we are pleased to say we are at the following.......

Perth  June

Wigan October

Railex  May

We will let you know as and when more are confirmed.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, 47406 said:

WOW !  That is a stunning picture 😎👍

Agreed, there's one thing however that looks a bit 'off' to my eyes.

The  very impressive signals which, I presume, are for main line or up loop seem to be very high up which would make sighting very difficult or impossible until the loco had actually emerged from the tunnel. 

I realise that there wouldn't be much, if any, view from inside the tunnel anyway, especially in steam days. There may have been a splitting distant at the north end of the tunnel, or given the length of the tunnel more recently fitted colour lights inside the tunnel. 

Even so I would have thought the signal sighting committee for the area would insist on something lower which could give somewhat better visibility. 

The first signal outside the southern portal at Weekday Cross, in steam days, in Nottingham was a colour light with a position indicator (feather) for the junction with the GN Grantham line

I hesitate to criticise what is a superb 'might have been, or from my point of view, if only!'  scene particularly with the excellent signal gantry as well,  but it does jar a little to my eyes.

Also I don't know whether they are the original signals which came with the layout and the current owners don't wish to replace a nicely modelled set of signals with a rather mundane colour light.

At the end of the day it's their layout and more power to the collective elbow to both present a coherent and believable scenario and exhibit a large layout.

https://images.app.goo.gl/5GjvFFrSb34gkZUJ6

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, great central said:

Agreed, there's one thing however that looks a bit 'off' to my eyes.

The  very impressive signals which, I presume, are for main line or up loop seem to be very high up which would make sighting very difficult or impossible until the loco had actually emerged from the tunnel. 

I realise that there wouldn't be much, if any, view from inside the tunnel anyway, especially in steam days. There may have been a splitting distant at the north end of the tunnel, or given the length of the tunnel more recently fitted colour lights inside the tunnel. 

Even so I would have thought the signal sighting committee for the area would insist on something lower which could give somewhat better visibility. 

The first signal outside the southern portal at Weekday Cross, in steam days, in Nottingham was a colour light with a position indicator (feather) for the junction with the GN Grantham line

I hesitate to criticise what is a superb 'might have been, or from my point of view, if only!'  scene particularly with the excellent signal gantry as well,  but it does jar a little to my eyes.

Also I don't know whether they are the original signals which came with the layout and the current owners don't wish to replace a nicely modelled set of signals with a rather mundane colour light.

At the end of the day it's their layout and more power to the collective elbow to both present a coherent and believable scenario and exhibit a large layout.

https://images.app.goo.gl/5GjvFFrSb34gkZUJ6

Hi,

The signals are the corrrect for the layout up to that location from the station. The issue is the distance between those signals and the tunnel is compressed on the layout as to have it all to scale we would have to add in an extra 30ft taking the layout up to 70ft long.

In real life there was also a signal at the northen end of the tunnel which would help as well.

• Like 4

Charwelton is a real location and when building the model, we modeled what was there. The tall signal was there so we made sure it was on the model. 
whether it was difficult to sight we left to the 12 inch to the foot people. 
richard 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Mr.S.corn78 said:

The signals are the corrrect for the layout up to that location from the station. The issue is the distance between those signals and the tunnel is compressed on the layout as to have it all to scale we would have to add in an extra 30ft taking the layout up to 70ft long.

As model compromises go, your choice is the only rational one. The tunnel on the model is actually a scenic break, needed in that position for all the usual reasons of limiting length.

Signal sighting/siting is an important contributor to a safe railway, but those signals do far more to augment the model's authenticity than stunted versions would.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Windjabbers said:

Thanks for sharing the video, are you guys coming south anytime soon to a show nearer London?  Keen to see this one in person. Best Wishes David

Thanks David! We’re due to be at Railex in 2023 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Windjabbers said:

Thanks for sharing the video, are you guys coming south anytime soon to a show nearer London?  Keen to see this one in person. Best Wishes David

Hi David,

The shows we have booked to attend near London are as follows

Railex - Stoke manderville -  27th - 28th May 2023

London festival of Railway modelling - Alexandra Palace -  March 2024

Hornby GETS  -  Milton Keynes - 14th - 15th Oct 2024

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 28/06/2022 at 14:56, Mr.S.corn78 said:

Hi David,

The shows we have booked to attend near London are as follows

Railex - Stoke manderville -  27th - 28th May 2023

London festival of Railway modelling - Alexandra Palace -  March 2024

Hornby GETS  -  Milton Keynes - 14th - 15th Oct 2024

Thanks

That's great news, I normally make Railex so this could be my chance ! All BEst Wishes David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Windjabbers said:

That's great news, I normally make Railex so this could be my chance ! All BEst Wishes David

Please say hi if you are at the show as its always nice to meet people who take an intrest in the rambellings we post up.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

With only a couple of weeks to Wigan show the layout has been erected and fully tested before it goes out!

plenty of jobs to complete including set up of the semaphore signals, repairs to points & refreshing of some of the scenic sections!

Ps- we also found a missing p-way Worker hiding in one of the trees after he must have come detached from ‘terra firma’ at the Perth show 

0FD00134-DE4C-4031-9C7D-6B3EE13FB33A.jpeg

5A949DCD-80B9-4B48-9754-6219A937865F.jpeg

590F5B40-8BB9-4F59-BDAA-91D8750ACD3C.jpeg

• Like 12

9 hours ago, 43110andyb said:

With only a couple of weeks to Wigan show the layout has been erected and fully tested before it goes out!

plenty of jobs to complete including set up of the semaphore signals, repairs to points & refreshing of some of the scenic sections!

Ps- we also found a missing p-way Worker hiding in one of the trees after he must have come detached from ‘terra firma’ at the Perth show 

0FD00134-DE4C-4031-9C7D-6B3EE13FB33A.jpeg

5A949DCD-80B9-4B48-9754-6219A937865F.jpeg

590F5B40-8BB9-4F59-BDAA-91D8750ACD3C.jpeg

The P-Way worker could be mistaken for Captain Scarlet - so indestructible.

See you at Wigan

es grüßt

pc 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2