Charwelton - 'into the 80's'

43110andyb

• 2 weeks later...

Work has started on the platform area and the only survivor will be the covered access steps down from the road.

The other platform buildings would have in all likelihood have been removed (not an easy decision as they are superb!) by BR and replaced by a covered shelter (yet to be constructed).

I have attached Dave's photos of the start of his work to be repaint into a 'BR' corporate shade of gray.

post-7305-0-29996400-1518004692_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

Just over a week to a planned working weekend on the layout, hopefully we will have some update pictures of the scenic boards re-united and getting further work.

High on the agenda are the points on the scenic side as they are currently of a unique servo design and require the frog to be switched via the panel, there are a few options here but we need to look into those options over the weekend! Looks like me and Simon with our heads in the control panel for the duration then!!!

As I have finished most of my freight rolling stock I thought I would make a start on the coaching stock that will be required on Charwelton- First victim an aging Airfix BSO MK2D.

So- pipes/step/ETH fittings added, corridor connection cut back to the correct length from coach end and dropped buckeye fitted. Also windows added to the corridor insert. Just need a tail lamp and it's there!

post-7305-0-81411600-1523388049_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Well the layout is up in its entirety and wiring work is progressing? First job of the day was to test all fiddle yard points after the extensive prep work! Good news was that only one didn't, due to a Broken wire on a connector!

post-7305-0-70972000-1523720964_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Well the layouts all wrapped up and back in the store room. Here are a few pics from the working weekend-

A quiet Sunday afternoon in the yard finds ex LMS corridor 3rd (now an engineers staff saloon) stabled in one of the Sidings.

post-7305-0-40863300-1523809717_thumb.jpg

47 407 'Aycliffe' heads 1O05 the 07.45 Newcastle-Poole service south after leaving Catesby tunnel.

post-7305-0-39801800-1523809861_thumb.jpg

And yes we were also working between stock photo shoots!

post-7305-0-63166400-1523810209_thumb.jpg

Edited by 43110andyb
  • Like 15

Well the layouts all wrapped up and back in the store room. Here are a few pics from the working weekend-

A quiet Sunday afternoon in the yard finds ex LMS corridor 3rd (now an engineers staff saloon) stabled in one of the Sidings.

attachicon.gifIMG_0801.JPG

47 407 'Aycliffe' heads 1O05 the 07.45 Newcastle-Poole service south after leaving Catesby tunnel.

attachicon.gifIMG_0805.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0799.JPG

The picture of the class 47 is one of those "is this real or a model" photos. If the track in the real tunnel wasn't lifted in the early 1960's long before the large logo livery was introduced I would have been taken in. Great stuff.

Nick

The picture of the class 47 is one of those "is this real or a model" photos. If the track in the real tunnel wasn't lifted in the early 1960's long before the large logo livery was introduced I would have been taken in. Great stuff.

Nick

Thanks Nick most kind- and I'm hoping there will be a fantastic pic posted soon as DaveC has a cracker taken at the same time! Edited by 43110andyb

attachicon.gifIMG_0801.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0805.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0799.JPG

Did a double take on that second photo as looks so realistic could be mistaken for the real thing.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Just wanted to say I am loving this thread and the Facebook page.  I just love the 'what if' GCR scenarios.

I'm modelling the London Extension in 2002-3 (N gauge).  Therefore for me its Central-liveried 170s and 158s on the London semi-fasts and Central 156s and 153s on the local stoppers.  There is also the occasional diverted Virgin cross-country service with a tatty 47 and even a Voyager.  The windcutters are rostered to the last of the 58s - but EWS 66s are rapidly taking over.  The great thing about modelling the Central Trains era is that I don't even have to repaint the Farish station as GCR Green and Central Trains Green aren't that different!  I just need more space - I've managed to get two GCR stations and a fuel point on a wide door but that doesn't leave much for stock storage!

Makes you wonder what the London Extension would have looked like the 1980s - probably much like the Salisbury-Exeter route with lots of singling and rationalisation.  But that might have meant 50s lasted a bit longer!  Maybe the 37s would have lasted on the through Banbury route? There's also the intriguing possibility of Deltics being transferred to the route as the older cross-country intercity DMUs were phased out.  Maybe a large-logo Deltic wouldn't be out of place in 1985...!

Will continue to follow progress.  Will there be a future public exhibition?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Will continue to follow progress.  Will there be a future public exhibition?

Hi Fezza,

Many thanks for the kind comments. We are all enjoying the what if as well. Its gives us lots of possibility's as well as having to do research on various topics. One at the moment is a signal which is causing a bit of head scratching as its a will it have changed or a won't it have type scenario.

As for the exhibitions, yes we do have a few shows booked and will be letting everyone know when and where you can see the layout (you don't want to be seeing us :no: ) very soon.

Details will be posted up on the various medias in due course.

thanks

Simon

Charwelton into the 80s Tech dept

Edited by Mr.S.corn78
  • Like 2

I also managed to get a shot of 407 (Andy stole my thunder!) A quick grab with the phone (Really should take the BIG camera down next time!(NOVEMBER))

Great looking layout .. hope somebody has called S&T for a wrong-side failure however .. signalled for the loop, but doing down the main!  Im assuming the driver stopped and queried ;)

Mike

Great looking layout .. hope somebody has called S&T for a wrong-side failure however .. signalled for the loop, but doing down the main!  Im assuming the driver stopped and queried ;)

Mike

The spotter who took this from the other direction disagrees!

post-7305-0-92188000-1523885467_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

The spotter who took this from the other direction disagrees!

Hahaha! And the say the camera never lies ..... ;) Cannot argue with that second view tho - must have been a trick of the light!

The wiring on that board looks very neat!  Do you have any methods for wiring up, or any schematic diagrams that you do to aid fault finding?  Im just about to start work on my layout, so am keen to see what people are doing.

Mike

Hahaha! And the say the camera never lies ..... ;) Cannot argue with that second view tho - must have been a trick of the light!

The wiring on that board looks very neat!  Do you have any methods for wiring up, or any schematic diagrams that you do to aid fault finding?  Im just about to start work on my layout, so am keen to see what people are doing.

Mike

Hi Mike, as we're doing a re-wire of the original DC wiring it's fairly straight forward and as we are colour coding the DCC power districts the fiddle boards at least won't be getting new plans as such yet.

The piece of paper you see in the picture is one of the original board connector plans and each wire on the layout has an associated number. We can use the main existing plan book to look up wire numbering and will need to do this for the fiddle yard points as all wiring for them will remain.

At some time in the future I'm sure we will re-write them but at the moment we're just using the originals.