Southgate Park, formerly Northolt International

Wolf27

Hi All

Several weeks ago the owner and builder of Northolt International expressed his intentions to dispose of the scenic section of the layout. Myself and Mark Miller (MarkMiller2008) decided to buy the layout as it was due to be dismantled if no-one wished to buy it. It was simply to good to let this happen so we stepped in.

We took ownership at the beginning of March and it didnt take long for us to put our stamp on it. As it came, the layout was DC and we wished to upgrade it to DCC. Mark worked hard over the last couple of weeks re-wiring the layout and it is now fully DCC.

As both Mark and I had a large collection of southern region stock, in the style of Lost, Northolt Junction has shifted 5 miles south east and renamed itself Southgate Park and is now in the process of being fitted with stabiliser rails.

Southgate Park is situated on the South Western section of the Southern region and is somewhere in the vicinity of Kew Bridge/Brentford, after Old Kew Junction. With a bit of 'alternative history' and a couple of strategically placed junctions, Southgate Park is served by local services from Waterloo, which terminate in the bay and semi-fasts from Waterloo, Basingstoke/Guildford and Salisbury. These form the core services, utilizing a variety of inner suburban EPB's, outer Suburban VEPS, CIG's, HAPS and CEP's and loco hauled for the Salisbury services. Occasional peak hour services from Paddington and Reading are possible by way of a link from the Great western mainline to the North London line at Acton, and a further link with the Brentford branch to the west of Brentford. These are usually formed of class 117 demu's with the occasional loco hauled service to Newbury or Oxford.

A further bending of the map has the Piccadilly line shifted 3/4 mile and appears alongside the South Western lines for a few hundred yards before heading back underground.

Redrawing the map means all of this is possible and not at all a figment of our imaginations. Its all part of the fun!

32786996294_6156f2b495_z.jpgUntitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

cheers

Shane
Edited by Wolf27
  • Like 8

Two small jobs i have carried out in between the mountain of Re-wiring the layout to DCC are as below

The Carriage sidings platforms are being lengthened to allow Four car EMU's to be stabled in the sidings, Sidings 1 and 2 will accomadate the EMU's with Siding 3 being a general use siding as this platform hasnt been extended.

Luck may have it that i had two spare Hornby Carriage siding platform legs left over in my bit box so these were duly added and two pieces of Plasticard added for the tops.

All thats left is to repaint the platforms to match, but the whole length may be repainted yet.

807378D2-A462-46AA-9F08-C4021B2E19EC.jpg

5445F2AD-9A5A-4DF9-8B50-FF8EF27EEE9A.jpg

Job number two was a fairly simple replacement of a broken retaining wall, the old one being removed fairly easily and again a piece of Wills Brick Section found to be added.

Needless to say i had painted the Bricks in Engineers Blue! Which meant an overnight covering of Modelstrip to strip back to the orginal colour.

A replacement top section was also fitted and all was blended in to match.

504B0C05-C93F-4D6F-8EE7-FC7C3077BCB7.jpg

2668325F-AA7D-4D50-9656-1397AB855760.jpg

That's all the work so far i have carried out apart from the Rewire to DCC, the next job is to develop the areas above the underground tunnels with an industrial unit and a redeveloped bus station.

Mark

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As one of the regular operators on Northolt International I was sad to learn that it had been sold, but am delighted to see that it is in such good hands. The Southern stock looks completely at home on the layout, and it's great to see it in RMWeb. I look forward to more updates and hope one day to see it at a show and watch the trains go by from the public side of the layout!

• Like 1

Something that we haven't mentioned is the London Underground section. It features a very fascinating rat hole tunnel which is currently cosmetic. I intend on making this operational but looks to be quite a challenge due to the cross members and supports underneath. I will find a way!

33630229865_323e5fd649_z.jpgS4110015 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Cheers

Shane

Edited by Wolf27
  • Like 7

Today i spent some time gluing bits back together on the Fourth board and started to replace the support for the footbridge as the existing one had been damaged.

Half an hour with some 9mm ply and some softwood i had a starting point, work on this will continue once the correct Wills Brick sheets have been obtained.

A8002505-BEB0-4E9B-8413-83E9F40AFC48.jpg

609D2F9D-B909-422E-9464-E7B96257BA60.jpg

A slight oversight on my part means the newly added DCC Concepts point decoder is now foul of the area Shane would like to get the LUL Rat Hole working, so this will need moving before Shane starts on this.

Mark

• Like 2

A slight oversight on my part means the newly added DCC Concepts point decoder is now foul of the area Shane would like to get the LUL Rat Hole working, so this will need moving before Shane starts on this.

Mark

Dont worry about it Mark, I'll just cut through it!

cheers

Shane

Not a huge amount of progress in the last week, however a start on revamping the fourth board has started.

After much discussion between myself and Shane we have decided to make a change to the board with the addition of a road bridge to act as a scenic break.

On top of the road bridge will be a yet to be decided station building and the bus station is being revamped also.

0624474C-14F4-4169-9591-42A7E66F2265.jpg

Progress as it stands currently with the base wood being mocked up.

Mark

• Like 1

Now that the foundations have been laid for the new station building and overbridge, we need to decide what type of building it should be. I'm considering a 1950's pre-fab type or CLASP building, with pre cast concrete stairways from the building to the platforms, similar to what is found at Bury St on the East Lancs Railway. We have alos decided to at a second canopy to platform 3, against the retaining wall.

Meanwhile here are some pics I took last night.

33485104970_fdc67e3a65_z.jpgS4210004 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

33485101840_7a1da0019e_z.jpgS4210008 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

33485100520_e93c5213f9_z.jpgS4210010 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

33869740225_ba6100e547_z.jpgS4210007 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

cheers

Shane

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a couple of hours on the Bus Station area recently.

The road painting was finished in RF flint grey (as I've got loads of spare tins) and then came the Wills Victoria Paving sheets being glued down on the bus stop side and mocked up near the new Bridge.

2744134F-B3DF-4C98-AC02-D196F79634FC.jpg

Couple of days later I put a second coat of paint down on the bus station tarmac.

The first photo clearly shows the difference in colour even though they are exactly the same brand and code of Phoenix Precision paints.

A39D3EFA-5E5D-4B6D-B7A1-B757BF924C71.jpg

38AD8D4F-9B5A-44EA-B62C-E2BBF1E0E34C.jpg

Another coat over the whole area after this should render the roadway finished, then to finish the pavements and bus stops. 

If anyone knows of anyone who has some spare Creative Master Northcord TFL bus stops please get in touch as we need some to match the ones we already have!

82C3A7FB-C189-45F2-8F62-D91E7D8F687E.jpg

Rolling stock wise, I now have a rake of Rudd's which will need renumbering and a very slight coat of dirt on the underframes as they wouldn't have been very dirty within the time period we are going for.

Mark

• Like 4

Not a huge amount of progress for various reasons lately, however i had a spare day on Tuesday to carry out some work.

Another coat of Grey has been appiled to the bus station roadway and some Roger Smith Road Markings ordered in preperation for the finish straight.

At our last work evening Shane and I discussed various options about adding an overall roof or canopy to the station area, the decision was made to finish off the canopy that Tom had already made for platforms 1 & 2 albeit in a shorter form due to the impending station stairs.

Along with that we decided to add a near identical canopy to platform 3 this being made from the Dapol (Ex Airfix) Kit, however the full width of the canopies cannot be used due to the narrow nature of that platform. 

c10a7128-0f22-45ed-869a-c0497b8000b7.jpg

2E17592E-E3E4-4649-9EF8-6CA06838FA6D.jpg

Still need to carry out some work to the platform to remove the Evo-stick mess from the removal of the Hoarding, does anyone know a method of removing it without much effort?

Another job that needed finishing off was the replacement retaining wall section under the new road bridge, still a fair way to go with this yet though.

8C72FEB5-A98D-4FC9-A95B-B3A95CE29090.jpg

That's all for now as i need to order materials to carry out further work. 

Mark 

I decided to make some progress with the bus station area and the first work on the layout for two weeks.

I've added some Roger Smith self adhesive road markings which are very good and make the job very easy.

DFDBA8B8-C17B-4617-A57C-25BE9A1B3B6A.jpg

After a couple of hours work it was coming on quite well and a fresh couple of packs of the road markings appeared in the post this morning luckily so I was able to progress more than I'd hoped.

AE3A32AB-7771-4FEA-AFAB-7D1C979DAD79.jpg

Just a coat of Matt Varnish required on the road to dull the paint and seal the road markings.

Shane and I will be having a evening on the layout on Wednesday so more progress later in the week.

Mark

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to make some progress with the bus station area and the first work on the layout for two weeks.

I've added some Roger Smith self adhesive road markings which are very good and make the job very easy.

DFDBA8B8-C17B-4617-A57C-25BE9A1B3B6A.jpg

After a couple of hours work it was coming on quite well and a fresh couple of packs of the road markings appeared in the post this morning luckily so I was able to progress more than I'd hoped.

AE3A32AB-7771-4FEA-AFAB-7D1C979DAD79.jpg

Just a coat of Matt Varnish required on the road to dull the paint and seal the road markings.

• Like 2

Not a huge amount of progress for many a reason lately.

The Bus Station area has been the main focus of my work in the last week or so.

The rest of the Bus Stop Markings and Double Yellow lines have been added and once the markings for the Zebra Crossing arrive then this will be pretty much finished.

F5F14437-7163-4E76-9038-E18257CC6971.jpg

Some buses have arrived but as the layout has a broad time period im aware they might not be correct for the later years of the layouts period.

75A6547A-5C7D-4F65-AB9C-B6EAC2797FA2.jpg

Shane has been planning the Station Building area over the last couple of weeks and will im sure document his progress.

Station wise some items have been moved around on the far platform to create a smaller area under renewal and the removal of the Hoarding along Platform 3.
Also the advertising boards on the island platform have been removed and in their place a couple of waiting shelters.

D91F1A8E-DCE3-41F5-94F9-DB3E070853AC.jpg

Thats all for now.

Mark

Edited by Markmiller2008
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
All has been fairly quiet with Southgate Park this month for many a reason.

Shane and I managed to have a layout evening the other week with Shane continuing with the shell of the station building (Im sure Shane will share some pictures)

Whilst i have continued with scenics on the station board, mainly consisting of retaining wall painting and cutting the base for the station building.

4C8280CA-E646-42EF-B477-61F5ED963617.jpg

12BC74B0-2632-4FCB-9554-88D210EBDE58.jpg

842BE5DE-062E-4FF1-9E72-2E90EFF5608A.jpg

Rolling Stock wise I've finally got some DCC chips with the 2BIL and NSE MLV that Shane resprayed for me finally making their first moves and also has outshopped a Departmental Grey Dapol 73 for me as 73106 and will shortly be taking 73103 for some livery correction of its IC mainline.

F76CE827-28E1-4F05-9894-E69D32C96FAA.jpg.

19072287-1ECD-4A25-9EFF-601512FAFE5D.jpg

E438A801-7AA0-4FF2-8DAD-6E51CDB6DF46.jpg

Mark

modify_inline.gif

• Like 3