Southgate Park, formerly Northolt International

Wolf27

Definitely the star of the show for me last Saturday at Doncaster. Definitely a 'keep coming back to' layout - and I did! I particularly enjoyed the 33/1 propelling a 4TC; 50s on West of England services; and the loaded warflats and warwells, to single out just a few of the highlights. THe 442s looked extremely impressive, too. There was always something moving and the sound levels were about right, adding atmosphere but without being intrusive. I thoroughly enjoyed revisiting my  spotting days, back when trains were more interesting and sounded better! 🙂 

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We’ve been busy already since Doncaster. 

Part of our rolling improvement plan to keep the layout in as best of condition as possible for the foreseeable has seen us crack on with an area I wasn’t too happy with. 

Since we’ve had the layout the retaining walls below the Royal Mail building and opposite the sidings have been getting worse. 

So yesterday with the help of Shane, we removed the whole area for replacement. 

This will be a fairly simple job to complete, also gives access we need to get the LUL running.

However what we’ve also started (well I have today) is removal of the unused crossover directly at the end of the platform.

Our plan here is to ease out the curve and shorten the platform by half a coach length thus making the operation of the layout a bit easier with smoother curves. 

As you can see from the second photo, the prep work is nearly done, just new cork, track and ballast to complete.

Mark

64EFCCA6-9FE6-45D1-BFC1-E563C9FF3131.jpeg

9F8A8F91-9612-4317-B9A8-D1FD866B5EE4.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Shane and I had a layout day on Tuesday, with the aim of reducing the amount of jobs still to do before DEMU Showcase which is our next outing. 

We started off with finishing the base work for the new retaining wall, this will be clad this weekend all being well. 

Then moved onto the next stage of the platform 4 works, the sides and plasticard tops being done. 
I’ve since started to paint it, more coats required. 

Shane fitted the third rail which is pretty much complete on the mains, just the new platform area to finish. 

Shane’s working on modifying the signalling gantries etc to suit the new changes and is still working away on stock for the layout too.

Next job we’re hoping to get done will be the testing of the LUL section, this “may” be operating at Showcase if all is well. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

81C2C37A-5A16-49ED-9A36-F8261EDC5777.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Just come across your layout thread and thoroughly enjoyed the two YouTube videos you posted .  Love the layout and in particular the Multiple Unit operations . Something that you still don't see too often on model railway layouts . Looking forward to seeing more 

Russell

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well the layout is certainly taking pace ready for its attendance at DEMU Showcase in two weeks time. 

One thing I was keen to add after removing the crossover was a signal box and that was definitely the right decision to make, a trip to my local model shop to collect our Prefab signal box and now we have something that looks very much like Woking. 

Shane has worked on the signals to repurpose them on the new track layout, these are Tom’s orignals just slightly rebuilt. 

The retaining wall replacement is now 99% complete, just a few little touches to finish off. 

Hopefully some exciting developments will be announced soon. Watch this space 

IMG_9758.jpeg

IMG_9760.jpeg

70751023103__51BDA9D4-1155-4785-8E9F-ED91D80FB4A5.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Love the 442, look forward to seeing the next one! When was the standard class open seating at the cab end upgraded to first? I feel like they they gained a full-length yellow stripe very early in their career.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Southgate Park had two successful (with some slight issues) end of 2023 shows at Showcase and Redditch. 

Those of you at Showcase will have hopefully seen our sunday open day, photo below for fun. 

Since Showcase i carried out a quick job on one of the fiddle yard boards, with Southgate Park having changed a little bit with the removal of DMU services, our shuttle sidings were no longer needed. We have extended three fiddle yard boards to allow some down trains to run in longer formations, Relatively easy job with removal of three points and plain lining with flexi track.

We carried out a relay of the final part of the LUL section as we found the LU stock wasn't running very well over it, at Redditch we ran our first 62 stock train back and forth! 

We have a busy 2024, starting with a very last minute addition to the show list on the 14th Jan with some familar DEMU faces operating the layout. 
List of shows below. 

Sunday 14th Jan- Burnham and District MRC exhibition, Weston Super Mare https://bdmrc.co.uk/14-january-2024-exhibition/
22nd/23rd June- EXE MRS Show, Exeter
17th/18th August- Loughborough Model Railway Exhibition 
2nd/3rd November- Spalding Model Railway Exhibition. 

2025 will reveal an exciting plan, i won't say any more yet but prepare for a difference! 

Mark