z21 and Cobalt point motors

DCCworld

Hopefully someone can help me...

I am a relatively newcomer to DCC and have just rebuilt my DC layout.  I have a z21 white with wi-fi router and control track and trains through an old samsumg phone.  All was working fine with three locos programmed and running.  I then purchased some Cobalt IP Digital point motors.  I was able to address the first 5 as numbers 1-5, installed the first three on the layout then they worked - all good.

However when I try to address the point motors at any number above 5 they just don't register.  There is nothing wrong with the motors themselves, I have tried addressing them as any number less than 5 and that works fine.  I am aware of the known issue with the z21 system address numbers being 4 out, so I downloaded the maintenance routine and enabled the "DCC turnout address-shift +4" - but this resulted in not being able to address the points at all!!

Am I missing something fundamental?  I've read posts that refer to accessory decoders but assume I don't need one of those as the Cobalt points interface directly to the z21.  I also wonder if my problem has something to do with CV programming - but then I haven't worked out what this is yet! 

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks

Martyn

• RMweb Gold

How are you programming, I'm assuming using the z21 just pressing the point symbol?

The cobalt manual says you need to send address then 1 twice but if you are addressing using the control screen you are sending 1 then 0 so this may be an issue on higher numbers. I got round this by setting up a second control screen, swipe to the side in track controls and duplicate your diagram, and putting in the same addresses but changing each points configuration screen to 1 and 1.

Normal control screen

post-6968-0-56970300-1490519196_thumb.png

Programming version, you'll note the odd big point symbol. I've found shorts can corrupt the address on random points and to reprogram you have to change the address away to something else then back to the right one. Thanks to Mick for identifying the fix and this allows me to do it on the live layout.

I just put the errant motor to SET double tap the big point, (sending #22 in this case), power off, switch to RUN, power on then back to SET double tap the correct point symbol, power off, switch to RUN, power on then

post-6968-0-27509100-1490519216_thumb.png

Configuration screen, note it sends 1 every time you tap but the point symbol won't change on screen when you use it ;)

post-6968-0-80197500-1490519228_thumb.png

Hello Martyn,

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find it a useful and friendly place! There's a wealth of experienced folk here for sure.

i feel a little guilty to have recommended the Cobalts without me actually owning any! I'm sure it's one of those things that will be easily resolved once you can actually find out what's going on.

Feel free to pop round and pick up a Multimaus if you want to try a different approach if Pauls suggestion hasn't sorted it...

TTFN,

Ben

• RMweb Gold
Martyn's already compensated for that ;)

I am aware of the known issue with the z21 system address numbers being 4 out, so I downloaded the maintenance routine and enabled the "DCC turnout address-shift +4" - but this resulted in not being able to address the points at all!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I had the same problem and carried out the +4 method of programming so starting at 5 not 1, all my points work well but it was a phaff to start with, especially as I use my Lenz system as well ( not at the same time as the z21) which makes me have to think a bit.

Archived