• RMweb Premium

A really interesting project to follow. My grandfather was a master for the Blue Funnel line in the 1920s-40's period so I was interested to see the photo of the MS 'Helena' in Prince's Dock. The photos of the small Barclay are very evocative- was this a MDHB  loco?

Dava

• Like 1

Transit shed, vessel and quayside fixtures.  This shed would make a good 'view blocker' to mark the left hand edge of a layout.   The MDHB main line/Riverside Branch ran between this building and the dock wall/LOR.

kerne col princes.jpg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
Added detail
  • Like 6

Aerial view showing the cramped, narrow space occupied by the dock road wall, the LOR, transit sheds and docks.   Note access from BR goods depot across the dock road. Very suitable for a 'shelf layout'!

life.jpg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
Added detail
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Stephen,

I'm loving this thread; it takes me right back to when I was a kid in Liverpool in the '50s. I remember travelling on the LOR with my Dad as well as seeing the MD&HB locomotives on a daily basis. I'm really looking forward to seeing it reappear in your model.

Dave  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Dava said:

A really interesting project to follow. My grandfather was a master for the Blue Funnel line in the 1920s-40's period so I was interested to see the photo of the MS 'Helena' in Prince's Dock. The photos of the small Barclay are very evocative- was this a MDHB  loco?

Dava

The Barclay was a preservation project using the MDHB facilities.   It was not a MDHB locomotive.

• Informative/Useful 1