On 30/05/2019 at 18:43, Stephenwolsten said:

Princes Dock area.  The transit shed would make a good 'view blocker' at the edge of a layout.

I am hoping that transit shed 'E' on Prince's Half Tide Dock will be tall enough to block the view of the elevated LOR structure at one end of the diorama - so that trains do not go through a 'hole in the sky'.   I do not have a suitable plan but do have an elevation for a similar shed in another dock.

peel3.jpg

Edited by Stephenwolsten

Waterloo Goods Depot - an example of a BR goods station on the landward side of the dock road.   MDHB locos transferred wagons from these numerous BR depots across the dock road to the appropriate quay, several times per day.

1906782816_WaterlooGoods.jpg.76c3e170253c5a73242e3fde104de819.jpg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, sb67 said:

Good find! Where did you see that?

Steve.

Sorry, I haven't recovered the source yet.   I do remember though that the modeller made the tool himself and swapped the direction around after each turn, to get the staggered effect of the cobblestones.

Stephen

• Thanks 1

I have always been put off layout building and operation by wiring work, the need for electrical/electronic knowledge, track cleaning, short circuits, jerky starts, fault finding under baseboards etc.   I have never got to grips with DCC because I haven't needed to.   Now I hope to skip these two 'generations' and go straight to control by smart phone and battery power.   My diorama will be very simple and I am happy to install electronic 'kit' in wagons or coaches if necessary.   I have been reading up everything I can get my hands on, including forums like this one.   For example, I am aware of the debate about batteries, whether there is enough power for 0 gauge, the limitations compared with DCC sound, whether it is good to have to look at a 'phone all the time etc.

I note that BlueRail has for some time 'been collaborating on a train control product that combines the ease-of-use benefits of direct bi-directional smartphone control that BlueRail has developed , with the onboard sound and functionality depth found in DCC decoders developed over the last 25 years – freeing users from the complexities of CV editing and allowing them to choose how they power their locomotives (transformer/DCC/battery)."  Development has taken longer than anticipated, but BlueRail says that it and its partner are close to their goal.   This seems just what I need and I am in no rush to commit myself to a train control system.  My 7mm locos will need overhauling anyway, so it should be possible to adapt them and any rolling stock when the time comes.

Am I being over-simplistic or naive?!