This shape of lamp post was a distinctive feature of the MDHB system.   A few examples still survive.   Can anyone suggest how best to model them in 7mm please?   I won't need many posts but am thinking of cast resin or 3D printing methods.   Secondly, I need to estimate the height of the lamp posts in real life.   If any Merseyside readers are down in the North Docks e.g. near Clarence graving dock, I would be grateful for a photo with an adult standing next to one of the lamp posts so that the proportions can be estimated!  Thanks.

lamp column.jpeg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 1

In the late 1980s I visited Merseyside at intervals to photograph the changing dock scene.  I'm pleased I found this picture of the MDHB loco works at Princes Dock, as I can now estimate the height of the building from the number of brick courses.   This workshop was very near the long demolished running shed at Princes Dock station.   The MDHB main line and Riverside branch continue past a transit shed to the Waterloo corn warehouse in the distance.

princes_slide_workshop_elevation.jpg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
Correction.
  • Like 3

On 26/05/2019 at 22:27, Stephenwolsten said:

Is this a mobile 'tar furnace' on the left please?  Or something else?   A sand dryer? Preservation era image.   Duncan Models produces a 7mm tar boiler.

Here below is the Duncan Models tar boiler for comparison.   If it is not a tar boiler, what was it please?

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 1

On 16/06/2019 at 20:40, Stephenwolsten said:

This shape of lamp post was a distinctive feature of the MDHB system.   A few examples still survive.   Can anyone suggest how best to model them in 7mm please?   I won't need many posts but am thinking of cast resin or 3D printing methods.   Secondly, I need to estimate the height of the lamp posts in real life.   If any Merseyside readers are down in the North Docks e.g. near Clarence graving dock, I would be grateful for a photo with an adult standing next to one of the lamp posts so that the proportions can be estimated!  Thanks.

lamp.jpeg

Thanks to a Liverpool Facebook group, I now know the manufacturer of the original lights (Concrete Utilities), two suggested heights, and a link to a street lighting collector/enthusiast.   The wonders of the internet!

lamp column.jpeg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/05/2019 at 22:11, Stephenwolsten said:

I have recently been looking at lightweight baseboard designs, including the ply-edged foam beams used by Gordon Gravitt on Arun Quay (MRJ 235) and the use of dense insulation foam boards.

Here is a video showing the properties of 1/16 or 1.5mm birch ply, as used to edge the foam beams on Arun Quay.  

On 19/06/2019 at 21:54, Stephenwolsten said:

Thanks to a Liverpool Facebook group, I now know the manufacturer of the original lights (Concrete Utilities), two suggested heights, and a link to a street lighting collector/enthusiast.   The wonders of the internet!

Here is the catalogue picture for the standard lighting column (but with a different bracket arm).   I don’t have the dimensions for the circular bracket on the MDHB lights but the lantern would be mounted at 25 ft. height. So I should be able to work out the dimension of the bracket roughly.

Sheet 36.JPG