• RMweb Premium

Viciously sharp curves abounded in the MDHB system, that's why all their locos had flangeless centre driving wheels. The sharpest I have found on OS plans works out at about 6" radius in 4mm scale although I don't suppose any locos could get round this. The S bend at Herculaneum Dock works out at 19" radius, I had to tighten this to 17". Your suggested radius for the Riverside connection wouldn't be unreasonable, most locos could get round this dead slow.

One of my photos shows a Jinty heading towards Riverside with a substantial part of the LOR still in place so I would think the BR signal was there before closure - dismantling finished in September 1958 but the last job was removing the big bridge outside Dingle tunnel which was a long and complicated job. One short section (I think near Stanley Dock) did survive quite a lot longer since it was carrying pipes. 

• Like 1

On 17/11/2019 at 20:06, Stephenwolsten said:

I am currently counting brick courses, studying windows/doors/lintels, estimating building dimensions in feet and inches, converting this to 7mm scale size and wondering if my maths is correct!  So this fine example of laser cut brickwork by Richard Ellis of www.monksgate.co.uk caught my eye.

Stephen - there is a particularly interesting discussion about brick sizes (including tax on bricks and its impact on "standard" brick sizes) at https://www.scottishbrickhistory.co.uk/brick-sizes-variations-and-standardisation/.  It deals with English as well as Scottish bricks and mentions that brick sizes north of Birmingham were not the same as brick sizes south of Birmingham (2 5/8 inch South of Birmingham, and 2 7/8 inch bricks in the North)... so much for standardisation - conversion to 7mm/ft is only the start of it! 

I've only just come across your posts and I'm looking forward to following developments. 

Kit PW

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks Stephen, that's a nice colour photo of a green Avonside as well. 

I've made the pattern for your LOR train's bogies now - only one mould so it will take a while to get them all out but I'll send them on to you then.

• Thanks 1

Massive warehouses were a characteristic feature of Liverpool's 'dock road' and some representation of them will probably be necessary at the rear of the diorama or on a backscene. 

Along the inland side of the dock road and in the narrow side streets lay a multitude of railway depots, bonded warehouses and forwarding depots.   There were many other businesses such as export packers, ship repairers and provision merchants.   There were factories too, mainly in the heavy process industries that gather at ports such as milling. oil seed crushing and sugar refining.  Some examples are shown in the accompanying photographs.

The traditional approach to modelling this is often to add a low-relief warehouse.  But something cleverer may be needed to create an illusion of depth and perspective.   I am tempted by suitable photographs but this approach may not work without a lot of digital manipulation to create a composite image (if technically possible even). 

The definitive book on this subject is Creating a Backscene: A Railway Modelling Companion by Paul Bambrick.   The book is a comprehensive guide to creating eye deceiving backscenes, showing how a transition from 3D to 2D  and other techniques produces the sense of depth.

amber15.jpg

amber2.jpg

amber6.jpg

PrincesDockShed - best version.jpg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 5

A digital impression of one of the entrances to the redeveloped Princes Dock, Liverpool.   This is the approximate location to be modelled but viewed from the inland rather than the river side.  Copyright Peel Property.   The second picture shows the view from the other side at an earlier date when the MDHB tracks were still visible.

princes - Peel.jpg

e8795149c0215efbd023de4073198192.jpg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

For some time I have been pondering the issue of a back scene for Atlantic Dock, with a preference for something photographic based on selected buildings along the Liverpool dock road.  I knew that Pete Johnson's Canada Street EM layout was partly inspired by Liverpool scenes (e.g. the wall, hut ad lamps).   But until today I had not seen any images that incorporated a back scene.   I was therefore amazed to see this picture on Sutton Loco's Flickr site.   The vast building is the Tobacco Warehouse at Stanley Dock (now converted into flats).   But how did the photographer get the whole building in and orientate it so perfectly?   The real building is at right angles to the old dock lines as Stanley Dock was the only one on the inland side of the dock road.   All the exhibition photos of this layout do not include this grand warehouse.   Was this picture manipulated digitally, I wonder.    I hope a RMweb member knows the answer please!

P.S. The photographer has now told me that it is 'photo trickery', as suspected.  Philip Sutton photographed his friend’s layout with a white background, cut this out in Photoshop and overlaid it onto a background stock picture of the warehouses, doing his best to align and adjust the perspective to match.   I think the adjustment was very accurate.

D5015 on Canada Street (1)

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have now rationalised my Pinterest Board and have divided it into sections to make it more accessible.   The sections include locos, engine sheds, the Overhead Railway, track and scenic matters, warehouses, road vehicles, shipping, quayside features and the 'dock road' (including rail traffic).   This thread will now move on to modelling rather than research posts, thanks to the work of Richard Ellis of Monk's Gate Models.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/stephenwolstenh/inspiration-for-atlantic-dock-7mm-scale-diorama-of/

Edited by Stephenwolsten

A reminder of what inspired the diorama - a view showing the transit shed ('E"), Riverside branch, dock lines and MDHB engine shed (far right).  Behind the photographer and shown as a shadow on the ground is the MDHB workshop, which will also be modelled (in part).

image.png.6fb0b8e0f49c426f88896da811c0d3c8.png

• Like 10