This photo shows an experiment with laying setts/cobbles between track using Redutex self-adhesive cobble sheets on 5mm foam board.  Gentle heating enables the 3D surface to be shaped round bends.  Further work would be needed to disguise the gap between the rail and the 'check' rail and hide the sleepers.

mdhb cobbles experiment.jpg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

It will look a lot better if you can get something in the bottom of the check gap - even plastikard strip might work although the running rail chairs may get in the way. The rest of the sleepers won't show anywhere because the setts cover the whole area.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sb67 said:

I like that. How did you fix the check rail? 

Hi Steve, I posted a photo of the method here on 11 September (above).   I hope this illustrates the simple fixing by gluing down a second, adjacent rail with cut-down sleepers.  I hope this helps.  Stephen

• 3 weeks later...

On 26/05/2019 at 22:27, Stephenwolsten said:

Is this a mobile 'tar furnace' on the left please?  Or something else?   A sand dryer? Preservation era image.   Duncan Models produces a 7mm tar boiler.

In much earlier posts I speculated about the purpose of a mobile boiler that appears in several pictures of the MDHB shed at Princes Dock.  I concluded that it was sand dryer and have now bought this image on eBay.  This latest picture shows some nice detail of the mobile dryer.  It also shows the role of public telephone boxes in keeping  the wheels of commerce turning on the docks.

mdhb princes tar vg.jpg

mdhb 26 at Princes.jpg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stephen. I'm sure you've seen these already, but just to let you know that the Getty library now seems to be giving previews at 2048x2048, allowing a lot of detail to be uncovered. Might be worth a hunt through their archive for useful images :)

railway-worker-tying-up-wagons-in-a-shed

wagons-in-a-shed-at-liverpool-docks-16-a

"Wagons in a shed at Liverpool docks, 16 April 1926. This shed, owned by the London, Midland & Scottish Railway, is where wagons were stored when they were not in use. The amount of cargo passing through Liverpool docks was growing rapidly at the start of the 20th century. They dealt with a large number of loaded wagons coming to the docks every day. (Photo by SSPL/Getty Images)"

Too early for your purposes, but they show how much information can be gleaned from these higher-res pics :) 

• Like 8

Thanks for sharing the Getty/NRM pictures.  I had seen them before but had not realised the definition in pre-view mode could be so good.  I see what you mean about detail.   There was a string of goods stations/warehouses like these ones immediately inland from the docks and the Liverpool 'dock road'.  Each competing railway company usually owned several goods stations, reflecting how they had to keep up as the docks moved northwards as the size of ships increased.

• Like 2

A new phase of work on Atlantic Dock is about to start, courtesy of Judith Edge Kits and Monk's Gate Models.  The diorama will be completed with the construction of the Liverpool Overhead Railway structure (and rolling stock, in due course).  The infrastructure work consists of assembling the 7mm etches for the 'normal' 50ft spans and supporting columns, plus track laying. 

The columns supporting the LOR viaduct measured 13 ins by 18 ins with an average height of 16ft.  The columns were generally placed vertically under the ends of the main girders and about 22 ft apart, giving width for two lines of track.

A normal span had two wrought iron, plate-type girders 50 by 4ft, with a 16 ins flange at the top, bottom and both ends.  Fixed to the top flange was a projecting parapet forming a continuous footway with a wider refuge at the end of each span.  To ensure a watertight deck, arched plate flooring was fixed consisting of plates bent round with a flat top ( to take the rails) and riveted to intervening t-bars. 

A first span will be completed to test clearances with the MDHB branch lines underneath and gain familiarity with the etches and construction process.

LOR 50ft span 7mm.jpeg

lor plan.jpg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advanced cgi software has transformed many areas such as films, games and TV.  When applied to recreating authentic historic scenes it can be a very powerful technique which leads towards "virtual model making".  Here is a still image from a computer generated film of the Overhead Railway, copyright of Steven Wheeler, a cgi artist and worker.

LOR sw cgi.jpg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
On 23/10/2020 at 00:05, Stephenwolsten said:

This photo shows an experiment with laying setts/cobbles between track using Redutex self-adhesive cobble sheets on 5mm foam board.  Gentle heating enables the 3D surface to be shaped round bends.  Further work would be needed to disguise the gap between the rail and the 'check' rail and hide the sleepers.

mdhb cobbles experiment.jpg

God bless you for this tip - I must admit I've been reading through the whole thread mouth open in complete awe. Superb research & application - the very best of luck with everything! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter studied a few years ago in Liverpool and on her induction day, I spent a few hours in the museums on the docks. I was fascinated to discover the LOR, something that I had somehow never known about.  Also the network of lines serving the docks must have been something to behold.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/02/2021 at 17:16, Stephenwolsten said:

Here is the start of an ambitious project to digitally recreate the length of the Overhead Railway, complete with docks, goods stations, MDHB lines etc.  

I noted during the video a request for images of Stanley lift and swing bridge.

This is a general one of the swing assembly, two sections, and a close up the of the independent lifting section below the LOR which also carried the MDHB Lines.

The lifting section being used for smaller vessels and Leeds Liverpool boats, the swing being used for anything larger.

You may or may not of seen them before but they give a good level of detail for modelling in your chosen software.

Not sure what the interoperability is between CAD and Trainz (if you're building it in that?) but I can model it up and email a .dwg if required.

Development is coming on nicely, both for Atlantic Dock and the VR LOR.

My grandad was a security guard at Princess Dock, accommodated through ill health, and my uncle drove for Danny Mandale who used the MDHB engine shed for servicing his 8 wheelers in the early/mid 80's.

_20170524_214429.JPG

_20170524_214537.JPG

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 09/02/2021 at 19:10, 9C85 said:

My daughter studied a few years ago in Liverpool and on her induction day, I spent a few hours in the museums on the docks. I was fascinated to discover the LOR, something that I had somehow never known about.  Also the network of lines serving the docks must have been something to behold.

They were - take a look at some old maps for the dock areas and you'll see the myriad of lines serving the North and South docks. The LOR was colloquially known as the Dockers Umbrella , ironically it was that attribute which was it's down fall, acting as an umbrella to the locos running on the dock railway under next, the smoke, rich in sulphur, from the exhausts caused acid errosion of the structure, which was too costly to replace so down it all came.

Chris Hewitt (Liverpool) made an EM model* based on the high level coal railway and the LOR switchback at Bramley Moore - Regents Road.

*with help from myself and others, I helped build the coal railway, my first EM gauge pointwork and wire it all up

• Like 3

On 11/02/2021 at 14:47, Iain Mac said:

I noted during the video a request for images of Stanley lift and swing bridge.

This is a general one of the swing assembly, two sections, and a close up the of the independent lifting section below the LOR which also carried the MDHB Lines.

The lifting section being used for smaller vessels and Leeds Liverpool boats, the swing being used for anything larger.

You may or may not of seen them before but they give a good level of detail for modelling in your chosen software.

Not sure what the interoperability is between CAD and Trainz (if you're building it in that?) but I can model it up and email a .dwg if required.

Development is coming on nicely, both for Atlantic Dock and the VR LOR.

My grandad was a security guard at Princess Dock, accommodated through ill health, and my uncle drove for Danny Mandale who used the MDHB engine shed for servicing his 8 wheelers in the early/mid 80's.

Thanks for your interest and information.   I will pass your comments on to the VR LOR builder (I am only doing the 7mm dock diorama).  I have been reading about staff housing on the dock estate and the reasons why accommodation was provided in a few cases.   Paper here:  https://www.cnrs-scrn.org/northern_mariner/vol13/tnm_13_3_21-32.pdf.  And I photographed one of the sheds in the 1980s when it was surrounded by abandoned lorries.  Here is a link:  https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/415386765632903195/  Stephen.

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1