• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Try taking a screen capture if necessary. Type 'snip' into the program search area to bring up snipping tool, select new, and then drag (left mouse click and drag) to the diagonal corner and then save to wherever you choose for a file location.

Apologies if that is teaching you to suck eggs, but not everybody is aware of the process.

Edited by Iain Mac
Correct ropey spelling courtesy of useless phone keypad.
  • Thanks 1

It's always good to see new images emerging after all these years.  Richard Beamer has kindly shared these newly scanned slides of a trip at the end of MDHB rail services in the north docks.   The area represented by 'Atlantic Dock' was completely covered by setts, which poses a problem for modelling this large area.   The top picture shows that setts were replaced in some areas but not within the track, but am I willing to compromise in this way to save time and money?!

MDHB northern special.jpeg

mdhb northern tour carriers shed.jpeg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 18

This picture includes so many typical features of the Liverpool dock railway scene - short wheel-base shunters, sharp curves, stone setts and inlaid track, the Overhead Railway, dock gates on the 'dock road', small engine sheds/workshops, and tall warehouses. (Copyright now S Wolstenholme).

mdhb clive field.jpeg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

On 04/04/2021 at 22:25, Stephenwolsten said:

One of my latest acquisitions - an unusual view of the MDHB's mobile crane garage in a transit shed.   Can anyone identify the van please? (Copyright now S Wolstenholme).

mdhb clive field2 mobile crane garage.jpeg

The van looks like an Austin K8. Sorry if someone has already replied.

G9PfAuh4cyHzWd1nhBbpnmup4SaGPYJIvfQgsDTx

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just found this thread and found it fascinating, especially as I am one of Mikes operating team on Herculaneum Dock. I am the one usually sat in the dock operating the dock railway.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

What a great film, very evocative and a good reminder of the docks in their heyday. However I am amused by the youngish man with the large ‘tache ( first seen around the 20 second mark as the barrel cart disappears). He seems to be circling the camera and reappearing every couple of seconds to get in the film. An early case of photobombing perhaps.

1 hour ago, Jinty3f said:

What a great film, very evocative and a good reminder of the docks in their heyday. However I am amused by the youngish man with the large ‘tache ( first seen around the 20 second mark as the barrel cart disappears). He seems to be circling the camera and reappearing every couple of seconds to get in the film. An early case of photobombing perhaps.

He's the cameraman's assistant. Often seen in films of this type. You will see him trying to marshal the crowds towards the camera.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 months later...
AEC Monarch

5-23-2013_009. NHK 789 AEC Monarch draw-bar

7mm modelling has been poorly served with accurate 1:43 road vehicles, especially commercial ones.   For too long layouts have had to rely mainly on 1:50 scale models designed for other markets.   The position deteriorated when the Classic Commercials range went off the market.   Fortunately D J Parkins have recently purchased the tooling and sole manufacturing rights to this superb range of 0 gauge road vehicle kits. These include many lorries, trucks and pick-ups, cranes, excavators and agricultural subjects plus period garage items etc. Also in the range is the classic BR Scammell Scarab mechanical horse which will be completely overhauled and released with at least four trailer options.

Road vehicles are not prominent in pictures of Liverpool's East Princes Dock area.   However I wanted at least one typical lorry on my diorama and immediately bought the Classic Commercials kit of an AEC Monarch flat-bed truck.  The bottom picture shows an example of the vehicle (photo courtesy of Ronnie Cameron).   The top picture shows a nearly completed model built and photographed by Heather Kavanagh (photo courtesy of Heather's Flickr site).

• Like 6

• 11 months later...

After a long gap, work has started on building the structure of the Liverpool Overhead Railway.  This series of etched spans (from Mike Edge) will sit at the rear of the diorama, squeezed in between the dock wall and over the MDHB 'main line'.  The photo shows the temporary base, MDHB tracks and wooden jigs used to locate the columns supporting the spans.  Photo courtesy of Monks Gate Models.

IMG_4825.jpg

• Like 7