• 2 weeks later...

The LOR employed a Ruston for engineering work trains, replacing Lively Polly.  Information on colour/livery seems non-existent?  So perhaps something like this image is a reasonable guess?  Copyright Idle Drifter, photographer unknown.

Ruston Hornsby 48DS at Blackett Hutton & Co. Guisborough

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 7

Looking at pics in my LoR books (all greyscale), it looks like the standard Ruston works livery, so dark green with thin lining? It doesn't get many mentions mindyou, even Polly usually gets only one or two photographs.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I've spent a long time searching for colour photos of either of the LOR shunters with no success at all for the Ruston but careful studying of the b/w ones led me to believe that it was delivered in more or less Ruston's standard livery.

LOR48DS.JPG.3c3b5712a305e011d810cf5a06106c36.JPG

This the one I run on Herculaneum Dock (actually an old Impetus kit, not one of ours!), Dave Studley painted it. The Ruston name is painted on the radiator casing, cast plates came later and the LOR crest is painted on the cab side.

Incidentally, don't believe the rubbish in the books about the 48DS buffers being removed and fitted to Polly before it was sold - the 48DS always had its buffers as well as the LOR central buffer.

48DSfloutsideSeaforthshedlocoonly.jpg.cfd95b3c908509ab75d38d1bba2790ff.jpg

This is the best b/w photo I have been able to find, it looks very new in this one.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I was nine years old when the LOR closed and travelled on it many times. Thank you for posting that link to a film that brought back many happy memories of a Liverpudlian childhood. I'm enjoying watching your layout develop as well as seeing the many photographs that are posted.

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...