• RMweb Premium

What an amazing project, and thank you for all the research material.  I think I've learned more about Liverpool Docks and their railway from this topic than from anywhere else!

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

This area appeals to me partly because of the range of railways and traffic in a very small area.   BR passenger trains and excursion traffic mixed with private and industrial lines.

mdhb princes 49xx.jpg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 9

I think that"The End of the Line" had a two level fiddle yard as the standard gauge was lover than the narrow gauge.

Giles "The magician" of this parish was the builder

Marc

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Stephenwolsten said:

Does anyone have experience of, or know of, a two-tier fiddle yard please?   The Overhead Railway only ran at ground level in one place on the dock road (but it did run underground in a tunnel!).

You don't need much of a fiddle yard for the LOR, mine has one sprung point at the north end and a sprung crossover with one siding at the Dingle end. The trains are all fixed units and couldn't be coupled in multiple.

• Thanks 1

The L&Y pugs were an important element of the Liverpool dock scene, running along the MDHB 'main line' and under the Overhead Railway (while it lasted) when travelling between the major BR goods depots which were strung out along the landward side of the dock road.   I never achieved my ambition of promoting a photographic steam charter with a Pug at Liverpool docks.   But the then working preserved Pug did visit Southport/Steamport heritage shed, and it performed at Goole and Bristol docks.   Here is the video I made of the photographic charter at ABP's Port of Goole:  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Alexandra Dock and the Overhead Railway filmed in 1901.   The Victorian age continues at ground level while the 'modern image' elevated electric railway glides past overhead, avoiding the obvious congestion and chaos which lead to the promotion of the Overhead.  

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

The last L&Y Pugs were withdraw in 1962 and BR ordered 20 of these Yorkshire Engine Co diesel shunters with Rolls Royce engines as replacements.   Some of them were allocated to Bank Hall and used on dock traffic duties in Liverpool.  Photographs of the diesels on the MDHB lines are not common, but they did feature in the background of a Liverpool Beat pop film (taken from the top of an open double deck bus travelling along the South Docks road).   I bought this model knowing that the Overhead Railway was long gone by 1962 but wanting it even though it is not correct for my time period.

diesel.jpg

diesel1.jpg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
On 18/07/2019 at 22:47, Michael Edge said:

You don't need much of a fiddle yard for the LOR, mine has one sprung point at the north end and a sprung crossover with one siding at the Dingle end. The trains are all fixed units and couldn't be coupled in multiple.

On Regents road we constructed switchless points which would always run one way in the facing direction - similar idea to Michaels but without any moving parts. I think these were eventually replaced with conventional points. A simple microswitch at the buffer stop showed red when the train "buffered" up to it so you knew you could turn the power off and be ready to run the unit back again - DCC could do this automatically of course (as could DC) with a reversing module or two.

• Informative/Useful 1

One of the dilemmas about modelling a specific location is deciding how much to compromise and be inspired by elements taken from other locations.   This photo of the coaling stage and water tank at Huskisson Dock shed in 1957 is a good example of such a dilemma.   It is not 'the right location" (Princes Dock Shed) but I like the very model worthy shed details at Huskisson.

mdhb husk shed.jpeg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

One of the pleasures of researching is finding pictures that were taken for one purpose but years later are useful for an entirely different reason.   Pictures of the backs of buildings sometimes fall into this category.   The Liverpool photographer and locomotive owner Keith Rose loved his minivan and photographed it, as well as his loco, at Princes Dock MDHB shed.   Today I can count the brick courses and estimate some more dimensions in the absence of a plan/drawing!

mini.jpg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 2