Load designations on Cambrian vans

NCB

• RMweb Premium

I've been trying to pin down the format of the Load designations on Cambrian 6T vans. Unfortunately, I've only managed to track down two pics of these beasts. One is of the unique Brecon-Welshpool tranship van No 2470, which uses something of the form "To Carry 6 Tons", in italics. The other is of No 951 which is all tarted up for the camera but doesn't have a Load designation.

What I'm wondering is whether the form used on No 2470 is the form used on 6T vans in general. or whether they'd be more likely to use the plainer form "Load 6 Tons", not in italics, as used by other wagons. I'm assuming that in general they had load designations, and 951 was an exception, but maybe they didn't. Any thoughts?

Incidentally, I note that another strange thing about 951 is that it doesn't have any brake straps around the brake push-rods, which is pretty exceptional.

• RMweb Premium

Thinking about the lack of brake straps, I wonder if the van wasn't fully finished, which might also explain the absence of a load designation. On the other hand, if brake straps were still to be added, then the Tare weight might not be the correct one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nigel,

I have only just seen this as I have been away.  I am assuming that you have the same Cambrian books as me but I will go through them to see what I can see.  However, there is an HMRS diagram of a 6t van by Mike Lloyd of van 2474 of 1906 and it says on the side 'To carry 6 Tons'

• RMweb Premium

Chris, thanks for the reply. I've only tracked down a couple of van pics, one of which is the one without a load designation and the other is the unique tranship van. I've at least one wagon G.A. drawing but it doesn't show the designations (should have another but it seems to have gone astray!). I suspect if one had the "To Carry 6 Tons" branding in service then most or all did.

Archived