Possible new commissions?

PenrithBeacon

Given Rails are hooking up with Shildon / NRM / Locomotion Models then there are a number of ideas that can carry over, or mix with the Rail limited edition range that has been some success over the years. I think there is a need to avoid some engines that can be added to a companies general range.

Here are some of my suggestions for what could be done.

Steam:

NER Aerolite

NER A8

NER B16 (all variants)* though I think this could be a general range release if not careful.

BR Standard 3MT

Thompson A2 (reckon might prove better seller than others think!)

Another Scottish Caledonian engine

Diesel:

More re-liveries of other existing tooling with partners.

GBRf 66s.

Hornby class 43s 43002/43185

More releases of the forthcoming class 55s model.

New tooling option: Class 43 - Warship

Units:

Class 141

Class 151 (Wild idea but I think that would prove popular for novelty ideas)

Stock:

NER Saloon (Old Gentleman's Coach from railway children)

GBRF biomass wagons.

Colas log wagons (thought might be already being done).

-------

At least those are my guesses/suggestions...

If they do another Caley loco, they need to do thr Caley 439 class, lasted a long time like the 812 Class, there is a preserved example currently in running order (Caley #419), and would expand the range of scottish layouts into branchline layouts as a lot of ex-caley branchline passenger trains were ran by this class for a long time.

• Like 1

New models: RHTT set, Mentor Coach, Class 170, GWR inspection saloon, Caroline inspection saloon

​Adaptations: Class 55 Deltic, with working head light.

​New liveries:

​Class 66 - 66775 HMS Argyle, 66957 Stephenson Locomotive Society, 66750 in blue or GBRf (with headlight mod), EWS/DB class 66 with different new headlight mod.

​Class 47 - 47701 Waverley in Fragonset, 47813 in Rail Operations Group, 47812 in new ROG livery (think numbers are right way round), 47804 in WCRC,

​Class 37 - 37116 in Transrail Blue, 37416 in EWS Royal Scotsman,

Just had this ticked for a like today, some time after being posted. A lot of the list there has been announced or very similar to a release that's being done.

RHTT set - Done

Deltic with headlight - Done

Class 170 - Done.

66957 - Hattons - Done.

47804 - 47245 has been done. So not far off.

37116 - another variant done. Not far off.

I'm quite sure Bachmann or Hattons will do some of the 66's mentioned - and that the ROG 47s will follow as a limited edition for someone.

I didn't do badly...

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 1

Just had this ticked for a like today, some time after being posted. A lot of the list there has been announced or very similar to a release that's being done.

RHTT set - Done

Deltic with headlight - Done

Class 170 - Done.

66957 - Hattons - Done.

47804 - 47245 has been done. So not far off.

37116 - another variant done. Not far off.

I'm quite sure Bachmann or Hattons will do some of the 66's mentioned - and that the ROG 47s will follow as a limited edition for someone.

I didn't do badly...

Like the idea of Mentor coach and while we are at it, some more Network Rail coaches as previous NR releases are now rare as the preverbal hens teeth and when they do crop up for sale, are extremely expensive.

But Caroline would be fantastic. Great for all modern day layouts large or small. Loco + Caroline is a small compact train that visits everywhere at some time or another. A very good shout ‘The Black hat’!

Edited by 66738
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

OO Works did round top and Belpaire versions in 2011/2012  according to their website.

So unless you can pick one up s/h, you might have a long wait.

Yes, they made both, I want the Belpaire type. The last one which came up on ebay recently still fetched over £200 even though it looked as if it had fallen off the end of the fiddle yard.

Keyser also made one I think but that was with the original boiler. They come out a lot cheaper.

The Alan Gibson kit hasn't been available for some time but I may have to register an interest in case I live long enough for sufficient orders to be place so it will be made again.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Gold

That's interesting, but don't you suspect that there were two more significant factors nothing to do with diesel locomotive traction units that really did for the BR std 3MT 2-6-0's chances?

Firstly, it is generally agreed that the BR std 4MT 2-6-0 was one of the best BR standard designs. Only a ton and a half more metal in the loco than the 3MT, and there was a machine that would stretch to class 5 performance. Why build a smaller capacity unit when for little more money a very much better machine could be got for all the proposed work you consider suitable for the 3MT?

Secondly, the runaway success of DMU's for the secondary and shorter main line line passenger work. Steadily reducing call for steam and diesel traction units there as a result.

It got squeezed out I would suggest, between a superior alternative steam loco, and the DMU tsunami.

None of which precludes it getting a model in time ...

Facts stack up the argument, post 1955 modernisation plan until December 1958, 3years later, this was the fleet that was built... this was not yet time for DMUs either, they only started to appear encase in 1957/8 there was obviously no priority for 3MT or 6MT to order them in advance.

Steam did not have competition, except in shunters...

Class Number

SUMMARY FOR SELECTED PERIOD

Steam GWR Hawksworth 16xx 0-6-0PT 15

Steam Riddles Standard Class 9F 2-10-0 200

Steam Riddles Standard Class 2 2-6-0 20

Steam Riddles Standard Class 4 2-6-0 70

Steam Riddles Standard Class 2 Tank 2-6-2T 10

Steam Riddles Standard Class 3 Tank 2-6-2T 13

Steam Riddles Standard Class 4 Tank 2-6-4T 46

Steam Riddles Standard Class 4 4-6-0 30

Steam Riddles Standard Class 5 4-6-0 97

Steam GWR Hawksworth 94xx 0-6-0PT 12