Hornby Eurostar - how can i impove its traction and pulling power

Anthony566

First off im not sure if this is the correct place to post this so if then can an admin move it to the correct location please..

I have a few Hornby Eurostar sets that i want to run in 14 car lengths but the power car is just not up to this so i was woundering if anyone has converted the power car and if so what they did to improve this.

The only option i can think of is to run a power car at eachendand may be add a good amount of extra weight ??

All options considered :)

• RMweb Gold

First off im not sure if this is the correct place to post this so if then can an admin move it to the correct location please..

I have a few Hornby Eurostar sets that i want to run in 14 car lengths but the power car is just not up to this so i was woundering if anyone has converted the power car and if so what they did to improve this.

The only option i can think of is to run a power car at eachendand may be add a good amount of extra weight ??

All options considered :)

There is an article somewhere on the web (possibly on RMWeb) that I read a year or so ago where someone modified the power car with a central motor driving booth bogies via articulated driveshafts. I'll see if I can find it and post a link.

Darius

The Eurostar uses a power bogie so if you could find another you could try having  two power bogies in the power car. You might have a problem finding a spare though.

I think if you had a powered car at each end you would have to accurately speed match them otherwise the train might break or buckle depending on which power car was faster.

I don't know how powerful the motor bogie is but my Hornby Railroad Deltic can pull 14 coaches, in fact it can pull 30 !.

I have added weight to the power cars and have tested with two power cars on the set and it works really well, i just need to sort out extra power bogies for the correct livery none power locos :)

Edited by Anthony566

I have dusted off the GNER Eurostar boxes tonight and as these are DC i also broke out the soldering iron. ...

I one set new and the second set was used but have never test ran the used set.

No videos yet just a few photos.

20170403_184911_zpsbm6ddzhs.jpg

20170403_183311_zps1gkzgnkc.jpg

20170403_200353_zpsqmkvehfw.jpg

A quick test run and they both seem to run well together so i will add some extra weight to both of these tomorrow as that did help with the first two.

Edited by Anthony566
  • Like 1

I have dusted off the GNER Eurostar boxes tonight and as these are DC i also broke out the soldering iron. ...

I one set new and the second set was used but have never test ran the used set.

No videos yet just a few photos.

20170403_184911_zpsbm6ddzhs.jpg

20170403_183311_zps1gkzgnkc.jpg

20170403_200353_zpsqmkvehfw.jpg

A quick test run and they both seem to run well together so i will add some extra weight to both of these tomorrow as that did help with the first two.

I've got a GNER set. Will the GNER normal consist of a power and dummy car without any modifications be able to pull 6 coaches? (So all together, 8 cars?)

Thanks

I've got a GNER set. Will the GNER normal consist of a power and dummy car without any modifications be able to pull 6 coaches? (So all together, 8 cars?)

Thanks

Yes it will but if it does struggle just add some extra weight to the power car but you should be fine. 

Ok so spent an hour tonight sorting out the correct power car for the latest Euro Star so its now running with two power cars in the same livery as well as the GNER White Rose livery .... all i need to do now is locate the second power car for the White livery Euro Star ....

20170407_221124_zpsrzdt5wn4.jpg

• Like 2

I had to add a bit of weight to each of the power cars of the GNER Eurostar but not very much, the powercars seem to be really well matched im sure using matching dcc decoders helps a lot with this.

Edited by Anthony566
  • Like 5

• 1 year later...