Olivia's Trains BOC VBA and Cryogenics TEA

Mark Saunders

Does anyone know which type ran over the Woodhead. Was it the Oxygen or Nitrogen versions? Cheers, Jim

Jim, I beg to differ with first reply? It wasn't Nitrogen on Woodhead generally. The picture you were forwarded is on Earles sidings on the Hope Valley line and I suspect Nitrogen tankers came from perhaps Harwich? The Woodhead traffic from Sheffield Broughton Lane to Ditton on Merseyside was Oxygen. Loaded to Sheffield and empty back AFAIR. These tankers did pop up all over the place, both in odd wagons or pairs or block trains and were regularly relabelled from Ox to Nitro as BOC required. The colour bands seem to vary too and seem to bear no relation to what is contained. Regularly the Sheffield traffic had darker red/orange bands on some wagons and lighter pale orange on others in the same block train of Oxygen.

Edited by gridwatcher

I remember Widnes to Sheffield BOC trains travelling through Warrington & Lymm on the now closed line back in the mid 70's. The bands were red then. I was called out once to the BOC plant at Widnes, then fairly new - an impressive place.

I didn't know these tanks could be seen individually or in pairs - I only remember the block trains.Usually Class 40 hauled through Warrington.

Brit15

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Although Olivia's seem to come in for a lot of criticism on this forum I ordered the BOC tanks from their website and they duely arrived yesterday which was a pleasant surprise.

Excellent service from them and a happy customer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Are these the same models?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/450698/Heljan_BOC09_100_ton_BOC_tank_in_BOC_Gases_livery_with_red_stripe_and_Gloucester_bogies_0008/StockDetail.aspx

Now in stock at Hattons but listed as Heljan with no mention of Olivia's...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Are these the same models?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/450698/Heljan_BOC09_100_ton_BOC_tank_in_BOC_Gases_livery_with_red_stripe_and_Gloucester_bogies_0008/StockDetail.aspx

Now in stock at Hattons but listed as Heljan with no mention of Olivia's...

Same as on the Olivias website strangely enough!

Mike.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 07/11/2018 at 17:45, 66738 said:

I’m interested in the Nitrogen tank(s) to Falmouth. I’ve tried looking in the usual places for an image, but to no avail. Could anyone direct me to a photo depicting said tank either at Falmouth or en route in consist.

Many thanks

Found one, I think! http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/truro-area-penwithers-to-buckshead.html

Scroll down quite a way until you get to a picture of a Class 25 in Truro yard on a short parcels train. In a siding behind it are two of these bogie tanks sandwiched between three barrier wagons. There’s no guarantee that they are en route to/from Falmouth but I can’t imagine any other reason for them being there. 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Flittersnoop said:

These tank wagons are now on "special offer" from Hattons - £45 each...

Thanks for posting - 1 ordered for my Norfolk layout as I can actually run just one!

I always wanted one of these but not at £75 so good news they are at a more sensible price.

Disappearing in front of my eyes before I can purchase them! They won’t hang around long at that price. Like has already been said, no way was I going to purchase at £75, but £45 is a whole different ball game. 

Edited by 66738

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 66738 said:

Disappearing in front of my eyes before I can purchase them! They won’t hang around long at that price. Like has already been said, no way was I going to purchase at £75, but £45 is a whole different ball game. 

I presume it was BOC20 you were looking for? I bought 1 at 23-40 and invoice says more than 10 in stock so obviously someone had followed on with a whole rake.  I suppose that makes sense it’s a £300 saving on a rake of 10.

Just hoping no issue with their ordering system!

2 hours ago, SHerr said:

I presume it was BOC20 you were looking for? I bought 1 at 23-40 and invoice says more than 10 in stock so obviously someone had followed on with a whole rake.  I suppose that makes sense it’s a £300 saving on a rake of 10.

Just hoping no issue with their ordering system!

Yes mate, BOC20. But all is well as they’ve found another stash of these tanks and I’ve managed to add onto my order BOC16. The same Red stripe tank, Nitrogen with GPS bogies.

You can’t blame them for buying them all. The price is that good. Either re number using the transfer sheet (£6) or if you want, sell on at a profit. T

• Like 1

9 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

Hi, a quick question please.

Would these tanks have been seen in service in 1989/90 period in the Scottish central belt?

would they be in trainloads or speed link?

thank you

HI 

I seen them in Aberdeen on liquid nitrogen traffic in the late 90s.

Regards Arran

• Thanks 1

I've bought a rake of eight but half of my original choice turned out to be out of stock so what I have now got on order is a bit more of a mix bag of liveries of BOC Gases, Unbranded, Red & Yellow stripe Nitrogen & Oxygen. Is this to much of a mix bag for a prototypical train?

1 hour ago, Carl BR said:

I've bought a rake of eight but half of my original choice turned out to be out of stock so what I have now got on order is a bit more of a mix bag of liveries of BOC Gases, Unbranded, Red & Yellow stripe Nitrogen & Oxygen. Is this to much of a mix bag for a prototypical train?

Hi Carl, is it for Alderford? Mid-late 80s then, right? If so, then a similar requirement to what I have for Oldshaw.

Most of the yellow striped ones had gone by then so you are better off with red-striped. There were only two vehicles AFAIK with BOC gases, so better off with the BOC livery. By this point, GPS bogies seemed to dominate over the original Mk4s, so I'd go for those. Re: oxygen/nitrogen, they could take either so just get yourself a set of transfers (also available from Hattons) and put whatever you want onto the wagons. Oxygen for the steel industry, nitrogen for the food industry.

Hope that helps!

Guy 

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, lyneux said:

Hi Carl, is it for Alderford? Mid-late 80s then, right? If so, then a similar requirement to what I have for Oldshaw.

Most of the yellow striped ones had gone by then so you are better off with red-striped. There were only two vehicles AFAIK with BOC gases, so better off with the BOC livery. By this point, GPS bogies seemed to dominate over the original Mk4s, so I'd go for those. Re: oxygen/nitrogen, they could take either so just get yourself a set of transfers (also available from Hattons) and put whatever you want onto the wagons. Oxygen for the steel industry, nitrogen for the food industry.

Hope that helps!

Guy 

Hi Guy, Yes this train is for Alderford Mid-late 80s but only once quite major changes have been completed to the layout.

Unfortunately my order is already with DPD so a bit late to change it.

What I have coming is 3 x Gases, 2 x Unbranded & 3 x BOC logo yellow strip. 

Hopefully a degree of weathering will help disguise this mish mash of liveries.

Cheers for your input anyway. 

Well out of my order of eight with Hatton's my package landed today with just three and no stock left in the warehouse. Apparently the problem was their computer system thinking there was more than what was really in stock.

I'm going to have to research what I can do with just the three I have received. I'm open to ideas in the form of photo's with these tankers thrown in to other wagon rakes.

Cheers people. 

39 minutes ago, Carl BR said:

Well out of my order of eight with Hatton's my package landed today with just three and no stock left in the warehouse. Apparently the problem was their computer system thinking there was more than what was really in stock.

I'm going to have to research what I can do with just the three I have received. I'm open to ideas in the form of photo's with these tankers thrown in to other wagon rakes.

Cheers people. 

Here, you go. You can even sell one of them. :lol:

Warrington Arpley 1990

47296 Warrington 13-6-90

47296 Warrington 13-6-90

This one is so old that the line doesn't even exist anymore...

Lymm 1983

40004 (LO). 6E95 - 2004 speedlink from Warrington Arpley to Parkestone Qy at Lymm on 200683

Longhedge Junction 1980s

Culvert Road Junction 47256 6M91 Sheerness - Willesden Brent 1980s

• Like 4