Glueing aluminium

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, doilum said:

Wickes sell a contact adhesive that is identical to the old evostick beloved by kitchen fitters and glue sniffers alike. It even has a red and black tin! Also available in tubes. More expensive but controllable for small jobs.

Has anyone tried the silicon type adhesives used by the motor trade for fixing body kits etc?

I'm quite a fan of "Sticks Like Sh*t" (yes - it really is called that) as:

(a)  It does, and

(b)  It's overpaintable.

It's my "go to" sealant (it's also an adhesive) in place of Silicone, unless the job specifically requires the latter.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, polybear said:

I'm quite a fan of "Sticks Like Sh*t" (yes - it really is called that) as:

(a)  It does, and

(b)  It's overpaintable.

It's my "go to" sealant (it's also an adhesive) in place of Silicone, unless the job specifically requires the latter.

Worth knowing about, thanks for the tip.  I have some GW non-gangwayed Collett bodies, cheap as chips off the 'Bay, in the 'one day, round tuit' box which might be attempted over the next year or so!

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, The Johnster said:

Worth knowing about, thanks for the tip.  I have some GW non-gangwayed Collett bodies, cheap as chips off the 'Bay, in the 'one day, round tuit' box which might be attempted over the next year or so!

Disclaimer - I've only used it in a DIY role, not modelling.  Though I see no reason whatsoever why it shouldn't work well as a strengthening fillet inside coach corners, for example

The ones I was thinking about go by the name of Stickoflex and Tiger Seal. There will be others, not to be confused with ordinary sealants. If you have to pay around £10 a cartridge it is probably the right stuff. I have never tried it in a modelling application but have reassembled damaged plastic wheel arches on my daughter's Jiminy.

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Would the new UV curing adhesives be suitable?, gives you wiggle room before zapping it.

Mike.

Well I would have thought not particularly for this kits sides, dut to aluminium being opaque and the side area quite large so that the light from the uv light source would not reach the vast majority of the glue through the closely fitting joints

I can see how it would work on glass but not metal!

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just wanted to thank @bertiedog for the Gorrila Glue recommendation - I've been shying off trying to attach MJT domed ends to the roof extrusion but bought some and had a go and it seems to have worked a treat :)

D154-3.jpg.d0f5a227d6f771d44943803befe12579.jpg

D154-4.jpg.27768ead34dc0b75b530cbac0f37e98a.jpg

It says to hold the pieces together but I ended up just standing it on end hence the internal runs. It feels very strong.