Transfers and Paints

So I've hatched a grand plan to start modelling pre-grouping, as it allows me to have a slightly more believable freelance railway company. However, I've found that it's somewhat more tricky to find transfers (lining, lettering and others), or suitable paints (especially as I prefer to work with acrylic wherever possible). I'll be modelling what later became the Southern Railway, particularly around Guildford which allows me to run LBSCR, SECR and LSWR trains. I was wondering if people might find it helpful to start a list of where transfers and etched plates can be sourced, or close-enough ones where correct ones aren't available? There are various kits for at least some locos and rolling stock, but as much as I'd love an LBSCR B1 in Improved Engine Green, I'm nowhere near good enough to line it out with a bow pen and hand-letter it yet!

• Like 2

To answer some of your questions

SR and constituent companies transfers for locos, coach and wagons are available from both HMRS and Guildplates in both 4 and 7mm

Paint (enamel) is available  phoenix paints.

We do a mixture of 4mm and 7mm locos, coaches and wagons for all SR constituent companies. (www.pregroupingrailways.com)

Marc  

• Like 1

I couldn't find much on the HMRS website. Do they do more than just the transfers listed on their website? I found some pre-grouping wagon lettering (which I have, and found very good), but only LSWR loco lettering and numbering (and that only enough for two locos on a sheet that is mostly Southern yellow lettering).

I wasn't aware of Guilplates - they don't seem to have a web presence and I haven't seen them advertising in either of the magazines I buy. I shall have to drop them a line and see if they can supply a catalogue.

Thank you.  :)

• RMweb Gold

As Kev said, I make my own and will make for other people. Examples can be seen on my thread (Including a fully Lined B1) although the camera make the Improved Engine Green ones look like they are the wrong shade! They look good close up, promise.

Gary

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

For LB&SCR related lining and plates Mike Waldron is the person who used to run EB Models and he has passed on that enterprise to myself and David Lowe, both in the Brighton Circle. Mike has a contact in Italy who has been producing all kinds of transfers for LB&SCR for a while now and is continuing with this side. EBModels have the LB&SCR number and works plates available as well as ability to order any of the locos, tenders and carriages in 4mm and 7mm, see the Modellers Digest 6 for a list.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by ianmaccormac