Ownership of LSWR T3 no. 563 transfered to Swanage Railway

Paul.Uni

46235 was on the list of Officially Preserved Locomotives drawn up by the BRB, aong with the Scottish locomotives and others such as L&MR Lion.

So it was in the National Collection, just not part of the NRM.

Jason

The "national collection" is I believe by definition everything to do with the NRM.

There are of course locomotives that are officially preserved and those that are in the national collection.

• RMweb Premium

I'm intrigued by the 'driving to Waterloo at reduced boiler pressure' and '50psi' quotes from a practical point of view. Yes you can move the things with a very low boiler pressure. You can't stop them though....

I don't disagree - and now I have found the post from adb968008 who states it was 25 psi.  Not sure it would move on that, myself.  Stopping by use of the reverser (screw presumably, on a passenger loco....???) and tender brake only.  I doubt the steam brake would do anything, and I wouldn't have thought it was a vac braked loco.  Oooerr. At Groudle we're handbrakes only, which are pretty effective but we are stopping a LOT less weight but we do have 1 in 33.

• Like 1

Why would they put her into steam at all if she was only going to be towed? The old "burning rags in the smokebox" trick would have done the job if she wasn't going to move under her own power

Appearances sake; an engine with a lit fire and making even light steam is a much different visual and sensual spectacle for the punters than a cold engine with some paraffin soaked rags in the smokebox.

• RMweb Gold

Why would they put her into steam at all if she was only going to be towed? The old "burning rags in the smokebox" trick would have done the job if she wasn't going to move under her own power

Probably for the displacement lubricator so some oil getting to cylinders.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31514768@N05/22728264208

Certainly doesn't look like it's stored lovingly under cover in this picture dumped outside at Eastleigh, in 1958.

As a matter of fact, in 1958, 563 was on the exhibition circuit, alongside Terrier Boxhill. I suspect the poor condition shown in this photograph relates to the storage of the negative (as hinted in the narrative attached to the photo), not to the locomotive (although its paintwork certainly did deteriorate).  The lack of coupling rods will probably relate to its being towed around to the various exhibitions, they only being attached when actually on display.

Edited to add:

Looking a bit more into 563's wanderings, I doubt that photo was actually taken in 1958, as after being on the exhibition circuit (when they were probably outside for much of the time) both engines went to Brighton and from there to Tweedmouth shed in late April 1958.  Far more likely the photo was taken in August 1959 when they returned south to Eastleigh.  Storage conditions at Tweedmouth were not good and although indoors, both engines deteriorated  badly.  563 was subsequently renovated at Eastleigh for exhibition at Clapham and was on show to the public at Eastleigh on 3rd August 1960.  However, I doubt any internal work was done, as so far as I know, there was no intention to steam her again.

Edited by eastglosmog

The condition of Boxhill deteriorated also, I recall reading an article in an old railway world in which two workers at Brighton went out at lunchtime to clean the rust off her cab fittings only two years after having been restored being "really in abominable condition", as a side note, owing to her subsequent restoration, Boxhill is now the only left leading terrier

Edited by Killian keane

I have tried it Larry, it didn't go well...

edit..on some of the older Southern and constituent locos I've driven such as S15, Schools and Nelson, they are vac only, so you have to have enough steam to keep the ejector going. Certainly on 925 and Nellie you are looking at around 140 psi min (as in I wouldn't like to rely on it at much less}, I wonder what braking system this loco had? But loco braking is a whole new discussion, apologies for hijack.

Bear in mind, though, that the LN's and Schools had 220psi boilers.  The T3 was only 175psi, so its braking systems would have been designed for a lower steam pressure.  Whether they would work on 50psi, though, is another matter!

Edited for typo

Edited by eastglosmog

• RMweb Premium

Reading this thread is like watching the salty winter winds strip the flaking paint off a forlorn Victorian loco abandoned to rust in a goods yard siding in Dorset....

Dava

• Like 1

Bear in mind, though, that the LN's and Schools had 220psi boilers.  The T3 was only 175psi, so its braking systems would have been designed for a lower steam pressure.  Whether they would work on 50psi, though, is another matter!

Edited for typo

Reminds me of an often told tale by former Bournemouth driver Alan Northover, and his firing experiences on a re-routed Pines Express hauled by a Bulleid pacific where he was brushing out the last coal dust at West Moors, and getting back to Bournemouth shed on 70psi of steam on the gauge. 

Corfe Castle is a good way inland so not much salt left in the winter winds by the time it gets there. However one of the Swanage volunteers tells me the intention is to have it under cover through the winter months.

Looking at Google sattelite views of the line I would think that they could put some sort of building on one of the sidings at Furzebrook, there's already a fair amount of stock parked there. No immediate road access but the A 351 is only across one field and a minor road and a track cross the line close by,

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.647976,-2.0691053,514a,35y,22.24h/data=!3m1!1e3

• RMweb Gold

Corfe Castle is a good way inland so not much salt left in the winter winds by the time it gets there. However one of the Swanage volunteers tells me the intention is to have it under cover through the winter months.

Looking at Google sattelite views of the line I would think that they could put some sort of building on one of the sidings at Furzebrook, there's already a fair amount of stock parked there. No immediate road access but the A 351 is only across one field and a minor road and a track cross the line close by,

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.647976,-2.0691053,514a,35y,22.24h/data=!3m1!1e3

The Google link is Eldon's sidings just North of Norden, no buildings are allowed in this area hence why it's not been adopted for that use already.

Furzebrook is here. If I've done it correctly)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.6566206,-2.0974135,531a,35y,22.24h/data=!3m1!1e3

This is the site the railway hopes to obtain some time in the future to use as an engineering/storage base, there are though issues regarding its re-use (the original planning permission) and it must be noted that the amount of money the railway would need to spend on getting the site up and running, would probably preclude an overhaul of the T3 for some considerable time.

Eldon Sidings was the site of the transfer of clay from Fayles Tramway to the main line, with the old long gone transfer shed just to the right of the road overbridge. Today it is a SSI area. Going back to the 1980's Furzebrook was intended to be the eventual site for the Swanage Railway works.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.6474548,-2.0667792,174m/data=!3m1!1e3

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Gold

I was at the handover. 563 will be under cover sooner than you think.

Is it leaving the railway already then ?

I'd prefer that the coaching stock thats rotting away on the railway is given priority for undercover storage.

I also hope it is restored to full working order to shut some of the moaners up

Not moaners. Some of us actually care about the locomotive in question, seemingly much more than the previous and current owners do.

This is the tip of the iceberg, the NRM have already stated that other items including locomotives will be up for disposable.

Jason

Jason, suggest you read the interview with my boss in the current Steam Railway. If you think we still don't care, come to York or Shildon and have a cuppa with me.

See comments on that interview further up thread. I don't doubt that there is care within the organisation, but there are aspects of that interview that suggest further trimming of the National Collection as you/they seek to follow "modern museum practice", so don't be surprised that concerns are expressed.

And if you read the article and/or my blog, you will also see that other than one yet to be announced, there are to be no more rolling stock disposals for the forseeable future.

A lot of comments do indeed suggest that there is a lack of care, far from it. Andrew and I are very approachable and more than willing to talk about our work and the care we take of the collection. I regularly give talks about the realities of caring for the National Collection of rail vehicles, complete with the highs and lows.

Edited by Sir Hadyn
  • Like 1