Ownership of LSWR T3 no. 563 transfered to Swanage Railway

Paul.Uni

There are some LSWR coach bodies on the Swanage Railway, at Worth Matravers, a Royal LSWR coach body at Stoborough, a restored LSWR coach in the National Railway Museum at York, a restored LSWR coach on the Bluebell Railway and the LSWR restored Royal coach in Dan Snow's television programme. The T3 would look great hauling some of these coaches.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I have had a thought regarding the overhaul of LSWR T3 563 and for the Swanage railway. Commissions are becoming quite a popular way of producing models of what is probably not quite mainstream for the average modeller. With this in mind could it be that possibly the Swanage Railway could commission a manufacturer like Bachmann or Rapido or Dapol to produce a 00 model of the T3 and say perhaps 10 pounds from each sale could go towards the overhaul of this iconic loco. I for one would be willing to pay a premium for this reason and hopefully see her one day in steam on the Swanage Railway. I think there would be the possibility of making this loco in three different liveries, namely, Adams Green, Drummonds Green livery, and in Southern Railway Olive Green.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1

I have had a thought regarding the overhaul of LSWR T3 563 and for the Swanage railway. Commissions are becoming quite a popular way of producing models of what is probably not quite mainstream for the average modeller. With this in mind could it be that possibly the Swanage Railway could commission a manufacturer like Bachmann or Rapido or Dapol to produce a 00 model of the T3 and say perhaps 10 pounds from each sale could go towards the overhaul of this iconic loco. I for one would be willing to pay a premium for this reason and hopefully see her one day in steam on the Swanage Railway. I think there would be the possibility of making this loco in three different liveries, namely, Adams Green, Drummonds Green livery, and in Southern Railway Olive Green.

Cheers,

Chris

Do you honestly believe such an idea would be financially viable- ? I'd like to think so, but very much doubt it. Too much of a limited interest perhaps.

Edited by bike2steam

I'd buy one (even though it would be useless to me since I model US HO), but the market for anything which never wore a BR paint job is probably not enough to be worth it.

Though the Swanage railway might want to investigate the viability anyhow, you never know...

• RMweb Gold

While I'd love a T3, I cant see it being worthwhile. The Swanage probably couldnt afford to take the risk. And the return would be relatively low - at £10 a head, they MIGHT get £20,000 for the restoration. But having invested probably close to £200,000. 

Swanage almost certainly can't afford to do it.

But why the continued negativity towards locos that never wore BR liveries? Stirling Single? GWR City?* They have proven popular models, so why not the handsome T3?

*Yes I know about the 80s Steam Railway joke...

Swanage almost certainly can't afford to do it.

But why the continued negativity towards locos that never wore BR liveries? Stirling Single? GWR City?* They have proven popular models, so why not the handsome T3?

*Yes I know about the 80s Steam Railway joke...

Just that the popular era to model at present is some form of BR, so that's where I'd expect the majority of sales to be. Based on what I've seen here, there's a decent number of grouping era layouts around, but I'm yet to see anyone modelling pre-1923 LSWR. I'm sure someone is, of course...

The Stirling single is a magnificent looking thing, but it doesn't seem to have started an avalanche of GNR layouts...

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps it could go the other way around...

The manufacturer could comission a model, and in return for access to the loco, measurements etc make a donation to the overhaul.

(If this loco gets overhauled, you can bet someone will want to comission a model of it and i can think of an LSWR biased concern with a great record of comissions, who would be my favourite to do it).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

Perhaps it could go the other way around...

The manufacturer could comission a model, and in return for access to the loco, measurements etc make a donation to the overhaul.

(If this loco gets overhauled, you can bet someone will want to comission a model of it and i can think of an LSWR biased concern with a great record of comissions, who would be my favourite to do it).

Absolutely brilliant. This way of doing it makes more sense to me, and probably has a better chance of seeing profitability for both parties. The manufacturer and the Railway. I do hope a certain Cornwall based company is taking note of this thread.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1

The Stirling single is a magnificent looking thing, but it doesn't seem to have started an avalanche of GNR layouts...

It doesn't have to, just so long as those singles end up on a purchaser's shelf rather than the model shop or warehouse the manufacturer will be happy. Likewise a T3 may not spark many layouts but just might be pretty enough that folk want one on their shelf or to make the odd sneaky foray round their layout.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Dapol and Hornby must have made a fortune out of LBSC orange liveried terriers for 30 years... still never seen a rtr lbsc coach to with them.

Older models appeal, not because they were alive in 1890 to see them, but because they see them today in museums and preserved railways. I’ve only ever seen one Bluebell Railway preserved layout, but most of their fleet is available rtr.

Edited by adb968008

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

An 00 gauge model of the T3 came a long way behind a GWR Manor or an SR U class in the 2018 Wishlist Poll. The T3 had 160 votes which is a fairly high rating.

I wonder if more people will want a model after the T3 is up and running.

I wonder if more people will want a model after the T3 hit the news earlier this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it seems promising to me . To quote from their Facebook post. "All this progress has pointed to the fact that the 563 team and Flour Mill feel that the engine is restorable and we will work with the owner, the SRT to formulate plans going forward into 2019."

"Any overhaul will be subject to successful fundraising so it's return to steam isn't a foregone conclusion at this stage, however we are optimistic."

That's why I said looks promising.

Cheers,

Chris

• 3 months later...

Matt McManus has written a report on the progress of the restoration of LSWR T3 No 563 in the Spring 2019 Swanage Railway Magazine.  Mechanically the locomotive is in good order and finance is the only obstacle preventing its restoration. The 563 appeal has raised nearly £45,000 and with the possibility of 563 returning to steam the fundraising should grow.

The Swanage Railway hopes to rotate the workings of the T3 with the other LSWR engines which are the M7 and the T9 to save wear and tear once the T3 has been restored to working order.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Has The Flour Mill released their report on the mechanical state of the loco and its boiler condition? And a costing for the work required? This will be required for serious fundraising.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Chris Woods has painted a splendid picture for Kingfisher Cards of 563 leaving Waterloo station with a rake of brown and salmon pink LSWR coaches. These are available from the Swanage station shop for £2.25.

Meanwhile there is an article on page 3 of the June 20 Swanage and Wareham Advertiser showing that the Swanage Railway hopes to raise £350,000 to enable 365 to haul trains to Swanage again. The T3 was built in 1893, eight years after the Swanage branch line opened, and was used to haul express trains from Waterloo to Swanage.

There is also a full page article about the T3 in Headline News on page 8 of the July Heritage Railway.

The plan to restore the T3 is getting well know both locally in Purbeck and nationally for railway enthusiasts.

• Like 3

Matt McManus has written a report on LSWR T3 No. 563's progress. He mentions that it looks like the best chassis and the worst boiler have been put together and the tender is a bit of a rot box.

If they can raise £350,000 the locomotive could return to steam in late 2021 or early 2022.

The group are going to recommend to the Swanage Railway Trust that it runs, initially at least, in 1910 LSWR holly. I have not heard of this livery before but it would seem to be Drummond locomotive green. I think that the livery will be like the LSWR terrier in the top of the picture.

Unfortunately my model and the T3 in Chris Wood's card show the locomotive in the lighter colour of Urie locomotive green.

001.JPG

• Like 2