Ownership of LSWR T3 no. 563 transfered to Swanage Railway

Paul.Uni

Latest news is that restoration of the T3 is progressing well. There is to be an open day at The Flour Mill on the 16th. Nov. for those interested in viewing first hand the work done thus far. Donations would be greatly appreciated to assist in completing this loco to steam. Owners are the Swanage Railway Trust.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was rather critical about the transfer of this loco when it occurred, but I must eat my words and say, well done to the NRM, the Swanage Railway, and of course those involved in the restoration for a magnificent job. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, caradoc said:

I was rather critical about the transfer of this loco when it occurred, but I must eat my words and say, well done to the NRM, the Swanage Railway, and of course those involved in the restoration for a magnificent job. 

Sometimes it is nice to be wrong! Many of us feared that the poor loco was doomed to rust, tarpaulined obscurity and eventual decease. A magnificently different outcome indicates someone somewhere knew what they were taking on. Brilliant. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 9

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Swanage Railway has made some enquiries to Dapol and Bachmann about making an 00 gauge model of 563. They said that there is not much demand for one and if they charged £350 no-one would buy it. This leaves the door open to other model railway manufacturers so it is an idea for the 00 Works. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Robin Brasher said:

The Swanage Railway has made some enquiries to Dapol and Bachmann about making an 00 gauge model of 563. They said that there is not much demand for one and if they charged £350 no-one would buy it. This leaves the door open to other model railway manufacturers so it is an idea for the 00 Works. 

That seems a strange response,considering that Bachmann have just released the EFE  LSWR  Cross Country 4 coach set. I wonder if  the response to its release may change minds . OO Works would certainly make a superb job of it as they already have a pedigree in LSWR models. An intriguing prospect….who will jump first ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

What the whole railway has enquired... A typical sales rep type  / non committal response that any manufacturer might give...

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 5

On 02/09/2023 at 18:19, Robin Brasher said:

You will be pleased to read that 563 has arrived at Swanage and can be viewed from King George's playing field

P1010470.JPG

That really is a beautiful loco - I'll bet Swanage are already getting enquiries from other heritage lines about 563's potential availability to hire for steam gala weekends next year and beyond!

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

Very strange response from Dapol and Bachmann. How do they know there is not enough demand for the T3. Have they done a survey to see how many people would buy one or more ? They haven't asked me.

There is always Rapido or Accurascale, and of course OO works if a major manufacturer doesn't pick it up.

Chgeers,

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, mvrnut said:

Very strange response from Dapol and Bachmann. How do they know there is not enough demand for the T3. Have they done a survey to see how many people would buy one or more ? They haven't asked me.

There is always Rapido or Accurascale, and of course OO works if a major manufacturer doesn't pick it up.

Chgeers,

Chris

Because it's a bit of a hearsay unrealistic post... 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

What sort of response would be expected?

"Oh, we hadn't thought of that - thanks very much and we'll get on with it!"?

Manufacturers have to be more wary of showing interest than ever these days, with so many start-up firms making excellent models, and some big players allegedly deliberately duplicating others' products. Cost, anticipated retail price and timescales to deliver all govern decisions. We will hear of any model when the promoter/manufacturer/commissioner feels the time is right. 

Campaigning on RMweb does not represent a convincing market interest, and there are many on here who regularly bemoan the lack of this or that model they are convinced would be a sellout. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/09/2023 at 20:54, mvrnut said:

Chgeers,

Chris

Maybe another manufacturer already has (or at least Bachmann / Dapol think someone has) so both are downplaying its sales potential as a kind of face saving / exercise.

On 03/09/2023 at 14:14, Robin Brasher said:

On 03/09/2023 at 20:54, mvrnut said:

Chgeers,

Chris

9 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

I thought as much and I refer you to the response I gave previously... :) 

3 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Maybe another manufacturer already has (or at least Bachmann / Dapol think someone has) so both are downplaying its sales potential as a kind of face saving / exercise.

Any contact between a Manufacturer/Commissioner/ Interested part is a strictly confidential matter , and treated with circumspect and due diligence. I was involved with some nearly 10 years ago, and despite not being employed by one party anymore I am still not expected to disclose any commercially sensitive information. Nor will I.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2