Roof height vs. layout height.

I am stuck in a bit of a dilemma and hope that RMWeb is able to help.

A bit of background to start, I have bought and built a fantastic 1ft by 3ft scenic baseboard kit from Tim Horn for use on my next layout. I bought this after seeing "The sidings" and seeing the quality of layout that can be built from these boards.

My plan, as was suggested on another thread, is to recreate a 4 road depot, modeling the inside of the building, the exit to the fiddle yard being the exit of the layout to the fiddle yard. These will include inspection pits and the usual stuff you get in a depot. The basis being that the layout will be three walls and a roof, and only a view of the inside of the depot, the scenic opening being the 'removed' wall.

My issue I have is the 'opening' in the board to the scenic section is 25cm tall. Modeling OO gauge makes it a very tall roof for a depot. I had considered this to look unrealistic if it was modeled at that height? I had wondered about a blanking section above the roof, modeling the outside of the roof or just accepting that as the height of the depot.

Apologies if that is confusing! I've tried my best to explain it as much as I can!

Another chance to introduce theatrical technique to model railways. Model the three walls at an appropriate scale height, but extend them up using matt black board or even velvet cloth to reach the 25cm. Arrange lighting using a narrow beam source so little or none falls on the 'blacks'.

When operating, your brain, and your guests' will soon ignore all the unlit black areas and concentrate on the lit scene.

The light source outside the shed should also be carefully chosen, strong and high colour temperature to indicate daylight, and cause approaching engines to cast shadows into the shed.

Good luck. This can be made to work.

Thanks for the advice!

I reckon that's the way forward, make the depot a prototypical height and fill the unused areas! In the future I plan to have an 'outside' module which will model the trackwork leading up to the depot, but that's a future project as the fiddle yard is what's after this!

I'm usually not such a fan of depot layouts, but this sounds genuinely interesting to me; I love the idea of a model that allows one to peer somewhere the public don't tend to see. Best of luck with the build - if it's finished to the same high standard of Ardlochan then it'll be stunning!

Archived