Midland in London (or is it Birmingham?)

Tricky

Hi all, I have lurked on rmweb for a while but thought it about time I joined in, so here goes. I have been planning to build a model railway for about 30 years, but for various constraints (time, money, space) have just begun, having now got into my 50s. I still have some space constraints but the layout is in a specially adapted shed (aka man cave). Total viewing length is only 8' with a 2'6" traverser at one end. I don't pretend it's in any way a prototypical layout, more a series of views/details/ structures that appeals to me. I love detail but not to follow it slavishly at the expense of actually getting enjoyment out of it. It is I guess primarily a stage set to enjoy my rolling stock. It is based very loosely on the Midland as it encroached into the London docks around Poplar c1907 for instance. Nice and grimy and confined.

Wow!

First postings generally tend to be a bit of bare track and a ready-to-run loco with some wagons.

Mightily impressed..where have you been hiding?

Randall

• Like 2

Thanks for my first reply Randall!! Not hiding intentionally, just tends to be a lonely hobby sometimes...

I tend to agree that modelling can be a solitary pastime, unless you are a member of a club,.

However, there are lots of friendly people on here who will be anxious to hear all about how you model to such a realistic and convincing standard.

Randall

• RMweb Gold

This looks like a very clever minimum space project with some great modelmaking.

I only have one small gripe. I don't think it can be either Birmingham or London with those stone walls and bridge, lovely as they are. I think we must be somewhere in Yorkshire.

This looks like a very clever minimum space project with some great modelmaking.

I only have one small gripe. I don't think it can be either Birmingham or London with those stone walls and bridge, lovely as they are. I think we must be somewhere in Yorkshire.

That is a fair point and is one that has crossed my mind more than once, since the bridge is based on a Birmingham prototype! I'll have to uproot the milepost again and start another thread, or pretend there's a tiny village in the Midlands called London...

I see the layout is powered by good old analogue DC. I'm still agnostic about DCC, especially the sound aspect. My Cwm Bach layout is DCC, but my latest layout Tonfanau Camp is wired for DC, not least because none of the locos allocated to this project are equipped  with DCC, which would cost several hundred pounds to fit.

I see the layout is powered by good old analogue DC. I'm still agnostic about DCC, especially the sound aspect. My Cwm Bach layout is DCC, but my latest layout Tonfanau Camp is wired for DC, not least because none of the locos allocated to this project are equipped with DCC, which would cost several hundred pounds to fit.[/quote

Funny you should say that. I was just chatting to Wenlock on his blog about how great his 517 sounds! Monks Gate was always built as dc but the half cab was radio for a while. I had to have the battery and several other bits and pieces rigged up in a wagon which it obviously was permanently hitched to. Not satisfactory. But when I attempted to re-wire it all and squeeze it in to the boiler and side tanks and coal bunker managed to fry it and mess it right up, so it all ended in the bin. Wenlock may be able to advise how many hundreds of pounds might need to be spent to set up this loco from scratch...?!

Edited by Tricky
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Wherever the stone bridge will put it in the end, you've definitely got a very Midland feel to things. Will follow with interest.

Thanks Northroader, was googling to see if any of London looks like Birmingham, but strangely to no avail which I think I knew anyway! Have even considered cladding the low wall at the back with brick and doing something similar with the big bridge. What is the general consensus?? Or am I panicking??!!

Here's a question for any Midland experts: have I got the colours right on the ground frame, or should it be banana yellow like a box? And should it have a name board?

Thanks, Richard

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Northroader, was googling to see if any of London looks like Birmingham, but strangely to no avail which I think I knew anyway! Have even considered cladding the low wall at the back with brick and doing something similar with the big bridge. What is the general consensus?? Or am I panicking??!!

I think that it would be a pity to waste the super work that you have done with those stone walls. Better to relocate the prototype.

I think that it would be a pity to waste the super work that you have done with those stone walls. Better to relocate the prototype.

Yes, you're right. Maybe I was a bit hasty with the thread title!

Lovely modelling. My vote is for basing it in somewhere like Manchester or perhaps Nottingham. There were plenty of grotty little corners in both places.

Thanks tbg for the vote. For grotty read atmospheric I hope!!