Midland in London (or is it Birmingham?)

Tricky

There are modelers and there are artists. I think you fall into the latter. I see you have great  skill in painting your models. Thanks for sharing. I need all the help I can get!  

So, today I finished the wall previously referred to, which forms the entrance to the loco yard and PW Department. The 'enamel' signs are the usual trade offering but before I cut them out I sprayed them with car cellulose lacquer. Once dry this was burnished with a fibreglass pen. This gives them a subtle sheen rather than the high gloss of photo paper. The edges where gone over with felt pen as well. On the brickwork I tried something slightly different; after the usual painting of mortar colour, followed by brick colour, followed by picking out a few for contrast, I washed over the whole wall with thinned satin stain-varnish. This gives the brickwork a slight sheen as seen on the prototype, particularly Victorian civil engineering brickwork. Next is some vegetation around the notice board behind the spear fencing and the roadway.

post-31608-0-95647200-1498246812_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-02025600-1498246860_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-52248800-1498246901_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-33227300-1498246941_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-76664600-1498246983_thumb.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

That looks great! It is such a realistic scene.

The only problem is that wall seems to be teasing us with a nice bit of Crimson poking over the top!!!!

Gary

Deliberate teasing...!! Although she's the same open cab in my first post, but rather effective positioning I thought...

• Like 1

What can one say other than 'up to your usual standard'? 'Commit no Nuisance' - wonderful. Is that a Midland sign? If so, not one I've come across before.

Hi compound2632, thanks for your kind comments. The 'Commit No Nuisance ' isn't Midland, it's a rather quaint sign I found whilst Googling inspiration for road signs...!

I love this layout.  These are scenes into which one could walk.  They don't look miniature, they just look real.

Of how many layouts, even really good ones, can you say that?

Excellently observed and executed as ever.

I love this layout.  These are scenes into which one could walk.  They don't look miniature, they just look real.

Thanks Edwardian,

To be honest, it's comments like yours and others that spur me on. I have discovered a whole new aspect to this modelling lark since coming on this forum; I used to enjoy modelling for my own benefit for sure, but now the pleasure I derive from it is hugely more satisfying when it can be shared with other like-minded souls such as your good self.

Richard

• Like 7

Thanks Edwardian,

To be honest, it's comments like yours and others that spur me on. I have discovered a whole new aspect to this modelling lark since coming on this forum; I used to enjoy modelling for my own benefit for sure, but now the pleasure I derive from it is hugely more satisfying when it can be shared with other like-minded souls such as your good self.

Richard

I for one am really happy you decided to share, your modelling skills are nothing short of inspirational.

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

As one clever sod once said when I told him that his model railway looked real.

"It is real, just small"

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I must say Trickers, old chap, I am intrigued by the glimpse offered of the control panel. Any chance of a photo ?

Has a touch of the Jules Verne about it what with the combination of stained wood and polished metal....

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry for the hi-jack, Tricky.

Further to my last, I rather hanker after a similar layout but in 4mm, based in or around Bristol, pre-grouping, preferably pre WW1.

I have come across a few photos whilst digging about ( too haphazard to be refered to as 'research'...!)

'Somewhere in Bristol'

Rob.

post-14122-0-65222200-1498327870_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-29934000-1498327920_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-57373400-1498327950_thumb.jpeg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 9

I must say Trickers, old chap, I am intrigued by the glimpse offered of the control panel. Any chance of a photo ?

Has a touch of the Jules Verne about it what with the combination of stained wood and polished metal....

Rob.

Hi Rob, photos attached as requested.

post-31608-0-87998000-1498332261_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-61053800-1498332277_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Sorry for the hi-jack, Tricky.

Further to my last, I rather hanker after a similar layout but in 4mm, based in or around Bristol, pre-grouping, preferably pre WW1.

I have come across a few photos whilst digging about ( too haphazard to be refered to as 'research'...!)

'Somewhere in Bristol'

Rob.

They are great photos, very atmospheric. I haven't seen any of them before. Would really enjoy seeing another pre-group layout...!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Tricky.

I would like to progress a pre grouping layout once the current project is off the ground but it's not happening at the moment.

Thanks for the image of the control panel. I have to say that it's totally in keeping with the layout as a whole. Very well put together. Almost eeathered to match the layout....

Another image. This time of Avon Wharf in Bristol. Loads( no pun intended !!) going on there.

Rob.

post-14122-0-68072200-1498338001_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Hi Rob, photos attached as requested.

Of course, the trouble with this set-up is it was never intended to exhibit, and it never entered my head to do so, until recently. It is moveable but only in two bits, one of which is the main board of 8', and it is very heavy! I am considering entering it in the MRJ Cameo competition, if it qualifies (I have a feeling it's too big), but in the unlikely event of it winning, it would be difficult to exhibit it or run it. As you can see, all the controls are at the front, so an operator would be permanently in the way! Any thoughts or comments?? Maybe show it as a static display?!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Tricky.

I would like to progress a pre grouping layout once the current project is off the ground but it's not happening at the moment.

Thanks for the image of the control panel. I have to say that it's totally in keeping with the layout as a whole. Very well put together. Almost eeathered to match the layout....

Another image. This time of Avon Wharf in Bristol. Loads( no pun intended !!) going on there.

Rob.

Brilliant photo. Nearly every wagon is a D299 5-plank open with the exception of one S&DJR look-alike and a D305 3-plank dropside wagon. Good view of the MR barges too - I don't think I've seen a view showing the stern lettering before.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Of course, the trouble with this set-up is it was never intended to exhibit, and it never entered my head to do so, until recently. It is moveable but only in two bits, one of which is the main board of 8', and it is very heavy! I am considering entering it in the MRJ Cameo competition, if it qualifies (I have a feeling it's too big), but in the unlikely event of it winning, it would be difficult to exhibit it or run it. As you can see, all the controls are at the front, so an operator would be permanently in the way! Any thoughts or comments?? Maybe show it as a static display?!

No issues with operating from the front. In fact it is the best location as you can stop and chat to people.

Yes it is eligible. The fact its large is neither here or there in my book. The ease with which it can be shown is another matter. However, if it can be moved and shown, I have no doubt people will flock to see it.

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

The only problem with either entering it into the cameo competition or exhibiting it is that it will show so many other layouts up!

It is the sort of modelling that would cause me to make a special effort to get to a show to see, small or not.

No issues with operating from the front. In fact it is the best location as you can stop and chat to people.

Yes it is eligible. The fact its large is neither here or there in my book. The ease with which it can be shown is another matter. However, if it can be moved and shown, I have no doubt people will flock to see it.

Rob.

Rob, I see you have entered the competition too...!

• RMweb Gold

Rob, I see you have entered the competition too...!

Yes, but progress is slow. Not an issue given the competition deadline but as I am due to exhibit Mutton in January things are getting a tad pressing.......ho hum.

Rob