Midland in London (or is it Birmingham?)

Tricky

Sorry for the hi-jack, Tricky.

Further to my last, I rather hanker after a similar layout but in 4mm, based in or around Bristol, pre-grouping, preferably pre WW1.

I have come across a few photos whilst digging about ( too haphazard to be refered to as 'research'...!)

'Somewhere in Bristol'

Rob.

This I would love to see you do.

Guest Isambarduk

A prototype question: where did the driver sit? On a convenient hamper or crate? What about once everything had been unloaded?

When I was a lad living in the Liverpool area, I often used to see young men driving flatbeds from a standing position.  With the horses trotting along in fine style and the young men looking dashing ('cool' one might say today) I thought "I'd like to do that when I grow up!"  Well, I did grow up but I still haven't done that (although I do ride).   David

I did a bit of gardening yesterday, and here is the result. Next job will be to lay the paths either side of the roadway and add the road surface. I think I will also put ornate lamps on the posts either side of the gate posts.

Lovely work (as I've come to expect) but I am left wondering exactly how anyone reaches that noticeboard to put anything up! A stepladder, perhaps?

Adam

Lovely work (as I've come to expect) but I am left wondering exactly how anyone reaches that noticeboard to put anything up! A stepladder, perhaps?

Adam

Yes, I had wondered the same, not sure is the answer. The same way they got to this one I suppose..

post-31608-0-85727100-1498838504_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I put this photo over on the 'How realistic are your models' thread but thought I'd post it here as well...a few crates, boxes and wicker baskets await sorting in the Monk's Gate yard.

post-31608-0-86089300-1498941394_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Yes, I had wondered the same, not sure is the answer. The same way they got to this one I suppose..

Probable through the gate in the fence...  to the left...  there is a drop in the wall and the "fence" has a lower edge at that point.

Probable through the gate in the fence...  to the left...  there is a drop in the wall and the "fence" has a lower edge at that point.

Ah yes, I see that now...thank you. Will have to consider a slight alteration perhaps...!

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all!

I have taken the plunge in setting up my own website, www.monksgate.co.uk. The idea behind this is partly to chart the progress of the build of Monk's Gate and partly to hopefully start selling some of the items I have developed for the layout, namely artwork for the packing crates, cases and boxes. I also intend to be able to supply maple blanks for you to either print yourself, or ready printed.

Other items in the pipeline are wagon number plates printed with the number you require and street names, also printed to your specification. I'm also open to suggestions or commissions if I'm able.

The website is still very much in its infancy and it's surprising how much time is required in order to get it up and growing, but steady as she goes!

Thanks for all your encouragement since I joined RMWeb, you're a great bunch!

Regards, Richard

PS Andy Y has given his kind permission for me to post this and update my signature.

• Like 5

Mr Knight, the yard manager doesn't look very happy about something- I think the commotion Rusty is trying to cause with Ned woke him up.

Wonderful scene in all respects.  Compellingly realistic.  Mr Knight is beautifully painted, if I may say so.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, I thought a bit of light relief from the MRJ 256 thread was in order...

Oh dear,looks like i`m going to have to out 'master' the 'master' if you build one!!

I find your detail is intimidating,and more i re-read through pages the more i find.

Sublime sir...

Brian.